TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

wrs28330 thank you for the great tour of your drive-thru! And such a deal, too! Our drive-thru up here in Playland(PNE) is $40 for 4 persons or less per car, or $49 for 5 or more per car. It runs from 4 to 10pm on specific days. And entry times are divided into half-hour entries.

I think you got a great deal there, for such a big park, and so beautifully decorated, to drive through. 🎀

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

I really don’t get the hostility here... pay it or don’t pay it, there’s no need for everyone to get pissy with eachother over that. Who cares? Whether or not it’s worth it to someone is totally subjective.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that update with us. Great photos. Sorry that this bickering seems to be overshadowing it. 

LOL...yeah I don't get it either, especially if you don't live in the area/have no intention of going anyway. 😂

I guess it should also be mentioned again that this is FREE for memberships!😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Garet said:

Maybe because my only real exposure to SFMM is this thread and people tend to crap on the park a bit, I had very low expectations on how much effort would go into this, but it looks a lot nicer, and done with a lot more effort, than I was expecting. My son would love this and I'd pay for him to see this just to get out the house a bit more.

Six Flags used to contract Oak Island Creative for Holiday in the Park so in short, they didn't do it which is why it looks nice.

I'm not sure what the deal is now though. Oak Island Creative no longer exists. I believe they sold to Keen Designs but I'm not sure if they exist either. I'd imagine they're still using some outside contractor though.

If I lived in southern California, I'd probably check this out. Drive-through Christmas-light displays are pretty common in southern states. "Celebration in Lights" opens in Newport News Park (just down the road from Williamsburg, Va.) on Thanksgiving night.

21 hours ago, bert425 said:

Do they have music piped in?  or broadcasting on a channel you can listen to while driving?  or is it a "set your own soundtrack" (ie: listen to whatever you want on your radio/cd player situation?)

They have background music that plays through their normal park speakers, which is themed to each area. It is set to the perfect volume to be "full and present", where we are still able to hear the performers talk to us along the route.

• Like 3

Despite the few who are complaining about the "high" price, it seems to be the cheapest option for a holiday drive through in SoCal by far... and based on what I'm seeing from many people on twitter, I haven't seen one person who hasn't liked it yet.  It's been getting rave reviews.

The only issue I've heard at all is sometimes the line to get in gets a bit clogged, because people don't understand how reservations work, or that non-passholders/members in the same car as a member/passholder still have to pay.  But as for the event itself, nothing but good things.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, coasterbill said:

Six Flags used to contract Oak Island Creative for Holiday in the Park so in short, they didn't do it which is why it looks nice.

I'm not sure what the deal is now though. Oak Island Creative no longer exists. I believe they sold to Keen Designs but I'm not sure if they exist either. I'd imagine they're still using some outside contractor though.

I know SFMM uses a local lighting designer.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Jew said:

I know SFMM uses a local lighting designer.

Magic Mountain has hired the same lighting designer since 2013 right after Full Throttle opened. He was responsible for the "updated/improved" Holiday in the Park that started in 2014 and has been doing lighting design for all of the seasonal events and shows. He's also done work for many other places around Los Angeles, including working on a project in a galaxy far far away. Needless to say he's a talented dude and when he gets an appropriate budget he can do some really amazing things, and even at Six Flags where the budget is always really tight he finds ways to make every last dollar count.

*Disclaimer: I am friends with him so I may only be a little biased, but he's genuinely a good dude who is passionate about his job.

• Like 2

I went.  You have to make the reservation at the website first.  When you get there, they scan your reservation, as well as scan any other passholders/members that may be in the car as well.  This all happens at the parking gate, which is why that can back up a lot.  It took us less than 10 minutes, but we also had one of the earliest reservation times.  I've heard the line to check in can be anywhere from 20-40 minutes, so plan ahead just in case.

No bathrooms are open in the park, but there are a few portapotties before and after the main drive (the first in the RV parking area/Dog House, the exit ones are in the premium parking area).  Masks are required if you have your windows down, which I recommend, as you can hear their music better and interact a bit with the live entertainment more.

Price is now $25 dollars per person so I'd assume it is going over great which is good for them. If I were anywhere close I'd totally do this. When we lived in the Midwest we did drive-thru displays all the time. (Not so common here in Colorado.) If this goes good hope to see it return in the future and at other parks. Six Flags might be on to something...

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have any good guesses at when the park may reopen? Is it going to take the country being vaccinated or might it only take just some people? In my head im hoping the park opens in april but maybe im being too optimistic. I have not been in YEARS (its my home park) and im missing it more than ever right now.

My guess is summer the earliest.  While the vaccine is slowly being rolled out, the new cases of Covid in CA are insanely high. 

LA County alone has over 10 million people, which is more than all but ten states in the US.  It's almost equal to the entire state of North Carolina.  California is nearly12% of the entire population of the US.

Severe outbreaks here affect a lot of people and can spread really fast because of our extreme population density.  I'd gamble that most people in CA at least know of a few people that have been diagnosed.  I can think of 3 people right away that have it just in my own social circles.  It's really out of control.

According to the NYT Covid tracker pages, we now are averaging 30,000 new cases a DAY, with a total now of 1.5 million.  That is more than the entire population of Hawaii (and about 10 other states).

It's going to take a while before we get this under control in CA.

8 hours ago, coastercoaster5 said:

Do we have any good guesses at when the park may reopen? Is it going to take the country being vaccinated or might it only take just some people? In my head im hoping the park opens in april but maybe im being too optimistic. I have not been in YEARS (its my home park) and im missing it more than ever right now.

If Newsom keeps theme parks in the yellow tier, which is under 1 case per 100k people and under 2% positivity rate...in theory, that may never happen unless vaccines are mandated. Too many dummies won’t get the vaccine, so the virus will continue to spread amongst them. LA county is too large to expect the numbers to drop down that low.

If he wises up or parks sue and move theme parks to orange tier...probably next summer.

We went a few weeks ago, and honestly... it's the best Six Flags could do. Which isn't a knock whatsoever. It's a humble attempt at some holiday fun. I'm sure it's a bit overpriced, but if you're stuck in So Cal and don't mind paying a little, and maybe waiting up to an hour from the time you enter the parking tolls to the backstage entrance, it's worth it. The areas that are decorated are pretty decent, and this is probably the only time lots of people can drive their cars through a park. 

Pull in the side mirrors between the JetStream supports. 

:mike:

• Like 2

Looking at the photos, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with how nice this looks! I would definitely go if I was in the area. It looks like the park did a great job with what they were able to do given the circumstances.

Too bad they didn't do something like this for Halloween. I would have loved to see the park take a crack at a Halloween drive-through! But hey, if this ends up being popular enough, maybe the park will do another drive-through for another holiday. Maybe Mardi Gras?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the 2021ish coaster for SFMM was conditionally approved by the city

https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/permit/3f44c971-a566-49fc-95c9-7ae34f7382fd

4d4f9bfdda33fff1ae4b21b9696d0307.jpg

Here is the second request they submitted (Geotechnical Study)

https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/plan/34b29751-f381-4f38-b9b3-2cfc55afe0ee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4