TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Actually, I don't see why they can't do Holiday in the Park in much the same way Knott's is doing their events.  It's the one event they could actually have some draw, and it doesn't require the rides to be open.  Add is some food (which, frankly, they have been doing the last few years), and it seems to be a no brainer.  Plenty of space to socially distance, it's a huge park.

^Except Knott's is known more for their food and atmosphere than Six Flags is.  Six Flags is a rides park plain and simple so I don't think that model would work well for them.  I actually feel for you guys out in Cali and really hope the governor looks at the science and opens up outdoor parks soon!

On 9/11/2020 at 11:23 PM, mts said:

There is nothing new or exciting to report.

The Harbor won't see a visitor this year.

The rides are all mostly fine.

Something new is being built.

The fact those kids were able to climb Sky Tower the other day demonstrates the current level of security. There are about 5 understandably sleepy guards in the deserted park. I don't think the Sheriff substation is even staffed presently.

Looks like you are right and they are still planning on building the 2021 coaster, according to these permits filed this month

https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/plan/34b29751-f381-4f38-b9b3-2cfc55afe0ee?tab=subrecords

https://epicla.lacounty.gov/SelfService/#/permit/3f44c971-a566-49fc-95c9-7ae34f7382fd

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, SharkTums said:

^Except Knott's is known more for their food and atmosphere than Six Flags is.  Six Flags is a rides park plain and simple so I don't think that model would work well for them.  I actually feel for you guys out in Cali and really hope the governor looks at the science and opens up outdoor parks soon!

People in so cal are so starved for theme parks, 2020 is probably the only year they could get away with it.  Even I’d probably go!

• Like 1

I saw a drone video on Youtube that is about 3 weeks old.  It doesn't look any different near the old Green Lantern station at this point.   Still hopeful though icon_smile.gif.8e5ef025c8c0d21860da7db823241264.gif

1070391464_Screenshot2020-10-19132327.thumb.jpg.b3eb7b2aba3e8b459330f4eebf223cc5.jpg

The permits I linked to above are from the middle of October so I bet if we got a fly over this week, we would see changes.
Hopefully they don't cancel the project! 

They didn’t. See the permit applications I linked to above.

Even if it’s a 2021 ride I doubt it gets finished till
The end of the year, due to covid Restrictions and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California amusement park guidelines are out.  The document is easier to read and more detailed than my summary:

https://files.covid19.ca.gov/pdf/guidance-amusement-theme-parks--en.pdf

Widespread (purple):

Closed

Substantial (red): 

Closed

Moderate (orange):

Smaller parks can open with modifications

Capacity must be limited to 25% or 500 people, whichever is less

Outdoor attractions only can open

Reservations required

Local attendees only (from the same county as the park’s location)

Minimal (yellow):

Larger parks can open with modifications

Park capacity must be limited to 25%

Reservations required

So, basically no change from before, since all California's major parks are in Moderate (or worse) coded areas, right?

Anything further I could say would be construed as a political comment and thus is reserved.

For the record, it looks like the guidelines define a "smaller park" as one that has a maximum capacity under 15,000 patrons.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of a lawsuit be brought against the state from the major operators (similar to what happened back in Ohio earlier this year) in the near to immediate future with the revelation of these "guidelines".

This is a crippling blow to the theme parks. I live in Los Angeles county and we haven’t even gotten close to getting out of the worst tier. To get to the minimal tier could be another year or longer. Such a shame!! 

3 minutes ago, SoCalJasonland said:

Here is what is required and where all of the So Cal counties with amusement parks stand as of October 20, 2020 stats

756382913_Screenshot2020-10-20124209.jpg.cc655db328179bc36f085e4734dbf0cd.jpgScreenshot 2020-10-20 124142.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-20 124116.jpgScreenshot 2020-10-20 124039.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-20 123952.jpg

Where are you getting this information from? Is there a specific site we can check?

Differentiating “large” parks and “small parks” and letting them open at different times is pointless. 25% capacity would spread out guests at the same rate regardless of the size of the parks. Add this to the list of completely arbitrary guidelines set forth by governments during this mess...

• Like 1

These restrictions are frankly ridiculous and will prohibit CA parks from opening for a long time.  Parks around the country have shown they can operate safely in this environment.  At this point, I think it will take a lawsuit and court intervention to get the parks open.  Meanwhile, thousands of people will continue to be out of work and the surrounding economies will continue to suffer.

• Like 1

Just to further prove how agenda-driven Gov. Newsome and his people are, here you go:

Californians will be allowed to congregate and vote without masks.

Sam Mahood, a spokesman for the secretary of state’s office, said the guidelines for county election officials are intended to ensure safety while allowing everyone to vote in-person.

“The Secretary of State’s office views voting as a foundational constitutional right for citizens,” Mahood said in a statement.

I guess the pursuit of happiness (i.e. putting food on your table) isn't a "foundational constitutional right" in their mind?

Not trying to get into a debate here, but how is working and earning a living not a constitutional right?  Second paragraph man.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That's why I said "Ehhhhh" hahaha. I just think they are hard to compare in the example you are giving; and that it's not really apples to apples. 

But maybe it comes down to this: The state thinks very large gatherings aren't safe, even if all safety measures are followed.  And, Voting 'shouldn't' be drawing the same large crowds in any given location. 

I'm not defending the state, just trying to understand it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Not trying to get into a debate here, but how is working and earning a living not a constitutional right?  Second paragraph man.

There are other jobs available.  Not even close to a fair comparison.  And I’m someone who is a causality of this nonsense.

The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to keep people from congregating and spreading the virus, why isn’t everything shut down?  Costco on the weekend is a madhouse.  Same for malls.  Even Sea World operating as a “zoo” and Knotts as “outdoor dining” being open makes no sense if the goal is to keep people from spreading the virus.  What magical powers to rides have to spread the virus?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Jew said:

The rational argument you should be making is how if the goal is to keep people from congregating and spreading the virus, why isn’t everything shut down?  Costco on the weekend is a madhouse.  Same for malls.  Even Sea World operating as a “zoo” and Knotts as “outdoor dining” being open makes no sense if the goal is to keep people from spreading the virus.  What magical powers to rides have to spread the virus?

Bingo. Could not have said it better myself.

When I visited Taste of Knott's back in August, this was constantly on my mind. "This event is great, but the park literally feels like it's open already - just no rides. What's the difference?"

Wacky policies are one thing, but inconsistent wacky policies are much more frustrating.

• Like 2