TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would be astounded if Fright Fest happens. The leaders in the industry, Universal, have already canceled Horror Nights in Orlando, and they have the resources to make it happen, and they’re also in a state which doesn’t care. Maybe wait for the park to even open PERIOD before hoping Fright Fest happens.

Management is contemplating if there's ANY possible way to do even an extremely limited FF experience. But as of now it's off. Like I said, they relayed it internally via deleting all the shifts. Sorry. It will be announced publicly, eventually. On a positive note, Holiday in the Park still shows up on the internal schedule.

What I don’t get is how beaches in California are allowed to be open with virtually no regulations in place, no masks, no social distancing, packed to the brim, but theme parks must remain closed. It makes no sense

We were all just told 10/4 is not happening.

Just curious, was that a formal announcement from the park or something you heard through the grapevine?

Typically, we ramp up big-time in early October on the electrical side. They just cancelled almost all open shifts. What that means for Frightfest will remain to be seen/announced, but you can use your imagination.

What do you mean by ramp up in October? From your post history you seem to be in Maintenance so I take it you're talking about the Ride Electricians? Or the Lampers?

I worked in Entertainment at Six Flags up until 2018 and did many years of Fright Fest. Fright Fest preparations start much earlier in the year. Maze vendors (if there is a new maze) are usually on site by May or June. Full ramp up with Stage Techs building out/fixing mazes starts in June. July and August basically become crunch time if certain projects get behind. HR/ENT start hiring maze and scare zone actors months in advance and usually have hiring fairs every two weekends for the duration of the summer.

As soon as June turned into July and none of the parks in SoCal had opened yet was the final 'tell' that Halloween events (as we know them) weren't happening this year... There's too much that has to be done months in advance that hasn't been done. Right now at Magic Mountain, Entertainment only has a single person on staff that was working on prepping for Fright Fest in any sort of capacity and they were just recently told to stop. USH tried to play it smart and started construction on mazes MUCH earlier than they usually do, but it ended up not mattering anyway.

I've been told from my friends that still work there that the Entertainment Director for Six Flags parks in the US had not completely closed the book on some sort of Halloween experience for the parks (and specifically Magic Mountain). However it was always going to be some butchered version of a Halloween event as there really isn't any logistical/safe way to do Fright Fest at full scale. And let's be honest, does anyone really think that Six Flags could pull of a decent COVID friendly Halloween event when they can't even pull of a decent Fright Fest?

Here's to hoping that at this time next year we'll be looking back at this as a bad memory and not a current nightmare.

I received a park planning survey for Holiday In The Park this morning. Aside from proposing various COVID-related safety measures (masks, social distancing, the whole nine yards....), it proposed several possible scenarios for HITP:

- A walk-thru experience inside the park with lights, music, and s'mores pits, but no rides or indoor activities. Masks and social distancing would be required;

- A more "normal" HITP with lights, music, rides, and s'mores pits where various COVID-related measures are implemented, like masks and socially-distanced Santa visits;

- A drive-thru experience.

What I don’t get is how beaches in California are allowed to be open with virtually no regulations in place, no masks, no social distancing, packed to the brim, but theme parks must remain closed. It makes no sense

Because Beaches are more open and your not touching anything. Amusement parks are more closed and people touching things over and over again.

Under these circumstances, is anyone really expecting a full scale Fright Fest? Given so many big players have dropped out, I think even a very watered down experience would still be a draw, if they found a way to pull it off.

Big "if", though.

Under these circumstances, is anyone really expecting a full scale Fright Fest? Given so many big players have dropped out, I think even a very watered down experience would still be a draw, if they found a way to pull it off.

Big "if", though.

It would be awful and cost them more money than its worth unless they made it an up charge.

I just saw this on another site. So sad Neal was a great guy! I guess he's just tired of the California politics ruling the parks. Thanks Neal for all your hard work over the years for 6 Flags. Will Magic Mountain ever open????

According to a report at Thrill Capital Insider, Six Flags Magic Mountain park President, Neal Thurman, has made the decision to leave Six Flags after a 25 year career. According to a statement released, Neal has opted to leave “in order to live and work closer to his extended family.”

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/attractions/2020/08/18/busch-gardens-tampa-bay-new-park-president

Good luck to Neal out In Florida. Hey, at least their parks are open!

It’ll be interesting to see if SFMM promotes from within the park or does the SF Park President musical chairs again.

there is a job listing. so i guess from anywhere as long as you're what they're looking for.

https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SIX1001SIX/JobBoard/b54520f9-d278-4363-939a-3f42461e3e25/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=297508da-2d82-4027-9f26-e932e45aea22

https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-news/arts-and-entertainment/magic-mountain/two-teens-arrested-for-felony-vandalism-at-magic-mountain-after-posting-video-on-social-media-343404

"Two teens were arrested on Friday for felony vandalism after posting a video on social media showing a group of teens breaking into Six Flags Magic Mountain and causing damage."