TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I’m no expert but a company wouldn’t make the track if it hadn’t already been paid for or some sort of massive deposit was put down. I’m guessing the money has been set aside for this project and will move forward! Also, this is assuming that those pics are legit, which is also very possible they aren’t. Although I’m convinced they’re real!!

RMC was selling a coaster at a discount at IAAPA because someone backed out. The speculation on this forum was that random water park bought it (the name escapes me at the moment).

Most contracts have some sort of “force majeure” Clause in them that COVID-19 may invoke, so it’s entirely possible this coaster is delayed or canceled despite being under fabrication.

Interesting how the track looks like it has grooves from train wheels already

I'd imagine that comes from the bending process. Steel beams are run through rollers to generate curvature. I'm assuming for this they welded up the box section straight then rolled it which left those fabrication marks.

California Health and Human Services Agency spokesperson Kate Folmar announced today that amusement parks will open in Phase 3 of the state's reopening plan - which is being implemented on a regional basis. The state is just beginning the early stages of Phase 3, allowing barber shops and nail salons to open today.

Gov. Newsom also announced today in his livestream that he would allow counties to open certain cities within said counties if they meet the criteria to do so. L.A. County will be one of the last counties allowed to advance to Phase 3, but the City of Santa Clarita (which contains Valencia) is one of several cities in northern L.A. County that applied for a regional variance due to relatively low COVID cases - which the County said they would likely grant if allowed to do so by the State.

Of course, no date has been announced for when parks will be allowed to open, but this is good news for California parks nonetheless.

The kids are not exactly excused from school... there would still be distance learning happening, and many teachers are requiring live zoom meetings and whatnot. While I'm sure a fair number don't participate, they are often taking care of family or working, so I don't necessarily think massive numbers of kids will be free.

Do you think Hurricane Harbor will open this year?

Doing SFMM during California's summer is brutal. I get heat headaches and puke.

I find that doing HH during the day and then walking over to MM around 6pm works perfect for me.

^ I live in Phoenix, Arizona and the governor has given pools / water parks the approval to open a week or so ago. There is even a 6 Flags water park here that they purchased last year. My point is, no water park has yet to open. The only water attraction is the tubing place on the Salt river in Tempe near ASU. Just assuming water parks will just open is a BIG ASSUMPTION! It's not just the chlorine issue, trust me.

Either way it doesn't effect me. I don't do water rides even when they're open.

Our local water park here in Las Vegas, Cowabunga Bay, is opening today and I know water parks in other states have already opened. Six Flags may open their water parks before the amusement parks open, but I'm guessing they will probably wait and open them at the same time.

^ I live in Phoenix, Arizona and the governor has given pools / water parks the approval to open a week or so ago. There is even a 6 Flags water park here that they purchased last year. My point is, no water park has yet to open. The only water attraction is the tubing place on the Salt river in Tempe near ASU. Just assuming water parks will just open is a BIG ASSUMPTION! It's not just the chlorine issue, trust me.

Either way it doesn't effect me. I don't do water rides even when they're open.

Water parks and amusement parks are both late stage 3 in Califronia, and we are already in early stage 3 in most counties. I guess it is all up to Six Flags to determine if they want to meet the safety requirements, and have enough demand and staffing to open both the amusement and water parks.

I honestly couldn't care less about water parks, but I know lots of people like them. I mostly like how they draw away crowds from the dry park on super hot days, so I hope HH opens.

The 50-year-old man in me states "I have to walk around barefoot on hot concrete and climb steps to the top of all those towers to sit in chlorinated pisswater for a 30-second ride?"

When I was 13 to 15 years old though, it was "Dude, but there are girls in hot bikinis walking around the water park. We can just stand there, hit on 'em and play Dig Dug in the arcade. Then sit at the bottom of the speed slides to wait for a bathing suit top to come off. Then you head over to the wave pool after the wash cycle and put on your swim googles to look for floating dollar bills or locker keys on the bottom of the pool to return for deposits. Ahhh, part of the 80s at a water park.

I guess water parks have their age of attraction.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Everyone was joking about SFMM and Frontier City strategically being excluded from the 2020 announcement video... welp, looks like everyone is in the same boat now.

In all seriousness, I can see most parks advertising their unopened 2020 rides for 2021 (Jersey Devil, Aquaman, many of the flats and water park attractions), but I could still possibly see SFMM announce their 2021 raptor still since they had nothing coming this year anyway (kinda interesting how the timing worked out for that). But I also wouldn't be surprised if that got pushed to 2022 or later.

Overall I am expecting this announcement season to be pretty dry, like it was when 2017 attractions were announced.

but I could still possibly see SFMM announce their 2021 raptor still since they had nothing coming this year anyway (kinda interesting how the timing worked out for that).

Ironically SFMM was one of the only parks to open a new-for-2020 ride, although that was just because of how delayed West Coast Racers was.