TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

1. Is Twisted Colossus indeed now unlimited reservations on ALL levels of the flash pass?

2. Is West Coast Racers one time only, and only for Gold and Platinum levels of the flash pass?

3. Other than WCR, are there any restrictions on the regular version of the flash pass? The most recent info on the SFMM site seems to indicate that all other rides are included but just want to make sure!

4. Is there any discount for any levels of the flash pass for members or season passholders?

Just to report back on my own questions after visiting the park on 2/23 in case this info could be helpful to others. Twisted Colossus IS now unlimited reservations on all levels of the flash pass which is great!! WCR, Full Throttle and X2 were all single use only. There was a discount of $5.00 per person for the flash pass with our lowly gold membership. Not sure if there are additional discounts with the upper membership tiers. We went with the gold flashpass, so the current price was $75 ($80 minus the discount) per person.

Although the park was only moderately busy on the Sunday that we visited, it would have been awful without the flash pass due to many 1 train ops... Full Throttle, Tatsu and Apocalypse would have been especially brutal. I hated waiting for the train to go around several times just in the station, so I can't imagine the regular queue. This was my first visit to the park since 2003 or 2004 (!) so I was nervous about picking up all 5 coasters that I needed. However, I was pleasantly surprised that they were all up and running during this off-season time of year. In fact, I believe Superman was the only coaster closed all day.

-Alan

I went on Wednesday (March 4th) and it was absolutely dead. It was the deadest day I have ever visited the park. One train operations on all coasters except TC (2) and WCR (3). But it didn’t even matter because it was so dead.

I rode every major coaster in the park, CraZanity, and Lex Luthor in the 7 hours they were open. Just beware that many food places are closed due to low staffing, I assume. But it’s a great time to visit. Just wash your hands frequently, try not to touch things like handrails, and you’ll be fine. There’s barely any people in the park anyway.

Seriously troubling times are ahead for Magic Mountain. Six Flags did not take a page out of the Universal and Disney playbook and instead told all of their non full time employees (which is everyone except for managers, sales people, and most maintenance people) to instead file for unemployment. The park is also discussing layoffs for an already understaffed maintenance team.

Hopefully COVID-19 is wrangled under control quickly as Six Flags was already doing pretty poorly before this hit, otherwise we might see a repeat of 2008-2009 for the park and the company...

I think that if they were to pay all of their part-timers during the shutdown, that would make their fiscal situation worse.

Seriously troubling times are ahead for Magic Mountain. Six Flags did not take a page out of the Universal and Disney playbook and instead told all of their non full time employees (which is everyone except for managers, sales people, and most maintenance people) to instead file for unemployment. The park is also discussing layoffs for an already understaffed maintenance team.

Hopefully COVID-19 is wrangled under control quickly as Six Flags was already doing pretty poorly before this hit, otherwise we might see a repeat of 2008-2009 for the park and the company...

I held Cedar Fair, Disney, and Six Flags stocks of approx $3,000 each in the last 2008 recession. Only Six Flags disappointed me in the long-run. Their CEO recently ran away from the company and that was before this virus issue and the pending, hopefully mild, recession that will eventually follow. The customer service surveys about should we expand into extreme trampoline parks should have been the first sign that they were not meeting growth forecasts and were batting around ideas.

I know that many of you are dying to respond that a recession is impossible with Trump and the Republicans in office, and I hope you are correct. I just see us going for a minimum of two quarters of negative growth at this point, and you can chime-in in a couple of months if I am incorrect. I don't blame Trump for the virus or wish that the US fails, but I am concerned about short-term economic growth and how to protect my retirement in the long-run. I know that it is probably too late to sell stock at this point unless it is Carnival or Six Flags. Those companies that already have high debt levels compared to book values have been borrowing beyond their means and it will result in some new bankruptcies if there is an US or global recession. We will also find out on Monday if Friday was a "dead cat bounce" or belief in a market recovery.

I get that this is not a political or financial forum and I realize the irony that we elected a reality TV star as president because our professional politicians were even more disappointing. We have gotten through much worse as a country, and we will survive this a little battered and bruised for the better.

SFMM is just itching to be sold off to another operater. It's always been too much for Six Flags to handle with their cheap, fiscal output. The park has way too much untapped potential to continue to be stifled under the Walmart like atmosphere of Six Flags and their carney like leadership.

SFMM is just itching to be sold off to another operater. It's always been too much for Six Flags to handle with their cheap, fiscal output. The park has way too much untapped potential to continue to be stifled under the Walmart like atmosphere of Six Flags and their carney like leadership.

NqWPgv5.gif

You OK, bud?

The biggest problem with a sale of Magic Mountain is that the value of entertainment & travel companies has collapsed, but the land value is still high in Santa Clarita. When or if Magic Mountain is sold, it will likely be for real estate development as we have a major home shortage but no theme park shortage. Cedar Fair has a high debt load, so I don't see them acquiring an expensive property at this point. It also seems too far away for Disney or Universal to care about it. The best case scenario is that Herschend decides to enter the So Cal market, but that is wishful thinking. Hey, Dolly, we love you out here in Cali, please by Magic Mountains for us. Sorry, did I make Mountains plural? I have DollyWood because I saw Magic Mountains does have a nice ring to it

Did everyone know that they can still ride their favorite coasters and rides on Themepark Reviews Youtube Channel? Thanks for making it possible!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I think that’s precisely why they’ll never sell. People love their cheap passes and roller coasters.

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Do we think Apocalypse will have its subtle queue line story altered some time after the park reopens and they get a bit of free time? ... it’s currently themed to a pandemic

Edited by sfkk

Do we think Apocalypse will have its subtle queue line story altered some tieme after the park reopens and they get a bit of free time? ... it’s currently themed to a pandemic
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true, but anything that reminds people of a time when many had no job and money cannot be good for guest spending and satisfaction scores. They probably won’t do much and if they do it will just be turning off the monitors. But I do recall reading that there was serious talk about not naming Hurricane Harbor Oaxtepec “Hurricane Harbor” as well because hurricanes are a reality that can and have caused devistation in Mexico much more than places like LA, New Jersey, or Oklahoma City.