TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would take that more as "the lifespan of the components won't last more than a few years". They are used, after all.

Thought if parts become cost prohibitive, that could make the long term future of the ride uncertain.

I think it’s awesome that TOT is reaching out to its brother here in the states to contribute bits and pieces. That’s how it should be. I’m a big fan of Superman and want to see it stick around at least another decade.

Probably a case of “here, buy these from us cheap so we get some money back on what would otherwise be scrap!”

So for those that have done West Coast Racers; what do you think about it?

It’s not a top 5 coaster at the park for me, but I really enjoyed it. I would probably rank it around #7 or #8. It’s definitely one of the best themed rides here. The ride itself is fairly mild, but delivers decent forces at a couple of points - particularly the high five. The dueling aspect is fun, but you don’t really notice the other train as much as on Twisted Colossus.

My main complaint is the restraints. The comfort collars aren’t bad during the ride, but they get in the way while getting in and out of the trains.... and Premier trains are already difficult to get in and out of to begin with.

Also, it has a 54” height requirement... but the park will let kids 48” tall get their heads bashed in on X2. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

>Does the park or the manufacturer set height limits? I was never sure.

Manufacturer. Parks can ask, and manufacturers MIGHT comply, but ultimately it rests with the manufacturer. Whatever is in the SOP from the manufacturer is what goes.

So for those that have done West Coast Racers; what do you think about it?

It’s not a top 5 coaster at the park for me, but I really enjoyed it. I would probably rank it around #7 or #8. It’s definitely one of the best themed rides here. The ride itself is fairly mild, but delivers decent forces at a couple of points - particularly the high five. The dueling aspect is fun, but you don’t really notice the other train as much as on Twisted Colossus.

I'm in a similar boat as joelwee (in fact, I think we even rode it together a few times on xmas eve). I came around to it a bit the more I rode it. I think it serves its purpose in the park as a visual spectacle and will pull in the summer crowds well, but it's not a ride that I'd go out of my way to ride. It's a bit of an uneven mashup of sections that feel laughably tame (the initial launches, the "airtime" hills), and sections that feel borderline jarring by comparison (the high-five, the abrupt second launches). As noted, the racing sensation is somewhat absent unless you're craning your neck and actively looking for the other train. (If you watch an online POV, and you don't see the other train enter the shot, that's basically the same experience of riding it as well). In terms of personal preference, I'd rank it lower than joelwee's placement. In terms of thrills, I'd say it's somewhere between Goldrusher and Revolution. But a more apt comparison to my mind is that it feels like a combination of Knotts' Pony Express and Hang Time. One of the ride ops described it as "family ride-plus," and that seems about right.

If it is the manufacturer, I wonder why Ice Breaker will have a 48" height requirement with the exact same seats/restraints as WCR.

Ice Breaker looks more intense than WCR. That could play a role, but I'm no expert. Honestly I always thought it was the state that mandated height requirements, not the manufacturer.

If it is the manufacturer, I wonder why Ice Breaker will have a 48" height requirement with the exact same seats/restraints as WCR.

Ice Breaker looks more intense than WCR. That could play a role...

But Ice Breaker has a LOWER height requirement than WCR!

Ice Breaker looks more intense than WCR. That could play a role, but I'm no expert. Honestly I always thought it was the state that mandated height requirements, not the manufacturer.

If Ice Breaker is more intense, then it makes even less sense for WCR to have a 54" restriction.

I think it's a combination of many things (park, state, manufacturer, track layout/g-forces). I think the parks definitely play a role, since some height requirements can vary across parks for the exact same ride (like wild mice, for example). But of course, the park will never impose a height requirement that the manufacturer does not approve.

I do think WCR is more a intense family coaster rather than a "high thrill" ride, so it is a bummer that kids cannot ride it when they can ride X2, Twisted Colossus, and other (more intense) rides.

Oh, and comfort collars are still probably the worst thing to happen in the industry in the last five years. STUPID!!!!

THIS... Soooo much... THIS!!! - The comfort collars seem so absolutely unnecessary. If RMC can do the crazy elements they do with just lap bars... Why the heck does anyone feel the need for these stupid comfort collars.

RMC's don't just have a lap bar... they have a seat belt as well, and their tucked away location is a pain in the butt for operators to check, and it takes forever... hence the slower dispatches. The advantage of the collars is they can be checked much more quickly. The comfort of the rider is likely a secondary concern.

Call me crazy, but I actually would not be surprised if Full Throttle had its seatbelts removed and comfort collars added sometime in the future. I don't want this to happen, but SFMM could very possibly do it if they see "faster" (I use that term loosely) dispatches on WCR than compared to the seatbelts on FT.

If Ice Breaker is more intense, then it makes even less sense for WCR to have a 54" restriction.

I think it's a combination of many things (park, state, manufacturer, track layout/g-forces). I think the parks definitely play a role, since some height requirements can vary across parks for the exact same ride (like wild mice, for example). But of course, the park will never impose a height requirement that the manufacturer does not approve.

I do think WCR is more a intense family coaster rather than a "high thrill" ride, so it is a bummer that kids cannot ride it when they can ride X2, Twisted Colossus, and other (more intense) rides.

The state has nothing to do with restraints except for verifying they meet ASTM standards and the park is operating the ride as the manufacturer intended in their SOP.

The ride itself? The pitstop is dumb and ruins it. The "high 5" element is cool after both launches, but it's hard to be excited for it the second time around when you sit there for 5 minutes when there is a delay in the station....

^Too bad they didn't put screens in the "Pitstop" and make it loud and noisy, with everything

being checked and changed (i.e. tires). The Pit Crew running around with gas, etc. That would

have been cool to see/experience during this attraction.

People were either going to complain that it didn't always duel (like Twisted Colossus) or complain that the pit stop took too long due to dispatches. I personally would take the guaranteed duel since the other option would have me stacked on the final brake run after a non-dueling ride.

It didn’t ruin it for me. I found WCR surprisingly fun and engaging. The high five one of the best elements in the entire park, and the inversions rather sweet. It’s one of my favorites in the park. Especially after multiple rides. The WCR crews are loading quite fast, so the pit stop isn’t much of an issue now.

Is anyone surprised that the pacing is ruined and the pit stop lasts forever and is a total buzz kill? Because I saw that coming a mile away as soon as the concept video came out.
People were either going to complain that it didn't always duel (like Twisted Colossus) or complain that the pit stop took too long due to dispatches.
The WCR crews are loading quite fast, so the pit stop isn’t much of an issue now.

I'm surprised to hear that there were any complaints about the pitstop or pacing at all (not that I've actually heard these complaints myself). I rode it a bunch of times before it officially opened, and that part of the ride was consistently fast. I don't think there were any instances in which the pitstop lasted more than 10 seconds (operations were excellent). Of course, I suppose any delays there would be due to incoming riders struggling to understand how coaster trains work and/or where they are (akin to TC). There was nothing in that particular section when I rode it aside from a few scattered tools, a video of some random douchey-looking people, and some loud vroom-vroom sounds. It seemed that the ride sat longer on the launch track than in the pitstop to me.