TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Yay! The time has finally come!

I'll be at SFOT and SFFT next weekend, so I unfortunately cannot go the first days. But I plan on going on the 26th! I love that I will finally ride this ride... 6 days before 2019 ends! lol

And yeah, I think a very large majority of guests at SFMM have a membership or season pass, so it definitely isn't "exclusive." I anticipate long lines and heavy crowds during the preview. It's basically open at that point.

It appears you can't ride WCR without some sort of pass/membership (aka a normal, ticket-buying guest) until 2020, so maybe the jury is still out on if it "opens" in 2019 or not.

I’m thinking it’s a 2020 opening, since it doesn’t officially open to the public till 2020!

How strict is SFMM with closing the park for inclement weather? I'll be in LA next week with my family, and we were planning to go on 12/24 (Christmas Eve). The weather forecast calls for a 40-50% chance of rain ("overcast with rains showers at times", according to Weather Underground). We're hoping that the combination of a major holiday and lousy weather will keep the crowds away, but I'm also concerned about the park being closed altogether that day. If it closes, then so be it. I'm just curious, should I brace myself for a closed park, or am I concerned for nothing? Thanks.

-Doug

How strict is SFMM with closing the park for inclement weather? I'll be in LA next week with my family, and we were planning to go on 12/24 (Christmas Eve). The weather forecast calls for a 40-50% chance of rain ("overcast with rains showers at times", according to Weather Underground). We're hoping that the combination of a major holiday and lousy weather will keep the crowds away, but I'm also concerned about the park being closed altogether that day. If it closes, then so be it. I'm just curious, should I brace myself for a closed park, or am I concerned for nothing? Thanks.

-Doug

With it being Christmas Eve they'll probably closed right when it starts raining.

^^You're certainly not concerned over nothing. SFMM notoriously will close in rain. Californians do not do well in rain. That being said, if there are a lot of people booked for the park or it's busy enough they may not. Also, weather has been so unpredictable lately that I wouldn't freak out just yet, wait till like two days before and look at the forecast again.

And definitely check their twitter as you get closer. They are generally surprisingly good about tweeting when they are closed or closing early due to inclement weather.... so if it is open and starts to rain, check their twitter for updates.

I'd also watch out for the temperature. X2 opened late and closed early due to inclement weather. It was a sunny day in the high 50s on the day I visited.

That was the only ride I saw go down for (what I presume was temperature), but it looks like it'll be cooler on your visit.

IMG_20191205_194417.thumb.jpg.e5bb04e0280cde18e3900d499091bbce.jpg

-Doug

whenever it's been a weekday, and forecast to rain consistently, even light, throughout the day, it seems they close. but on a weekend, it seems unless it's just raining cats and dogs, it stays open since it's busier. my guess is, unless it's really coming down, they may stay open next week because of the holiday break.

I'd also watch out for the temperature. X2 opened late and closed early due to inclement weather. It was a sunny day in the high 50s on the day I visited.

That was the only ride I saw go down for (what I presume was temperature), but it looks like it'll be cooler on your visit.

X2 typically goes down for wind. If there’s a weekday with even a slight breeze in the forecast, it usually won’t open. On a weekend, they may still try to open it.

Last Saturday night, the wind picked up about an hour before closing, but they kept running it - presumably because it’s already warmed up and less likely to valley. But I’ve been there other (week)days when there was next to no wind, but it didn’t open at all. The ride ops standing outside the ride told me it was due to wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was browsing the Six Flags site for the hours for Great Adventure's Holiday in the Park and accidentally ended up on the chain's main page for HITP.

Does anyone else find it funny that Magic Mountain's thumbnail shows the now removed Green Lantern?

602737951_HITPSFMM.PNG.2f3048dfadacd7f8958ae3b6c078c52b.PNG

Well at least they still light the sign up.

GL.thumb.jpg.b201bfff32cab15a499e83e2905d4b6f.jpg

I was browsing the Six Flags site for the hours for Great Adventure's Holiday in the Park and accidentally ended up on the chain's main page for HITP.

Does anyone else find it funny that Magic Mountain's thumbnail shows the now removed Green Lantern?

[attachment=1]HITP SFMM.PNG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]GL.jpg[/attachment]

This isn't surprising. I had to call out a survey sent to me by SFMM, because one of the questions was checking off your favorite rides at the park... and Terminator: Salvation was listed. This was a while ago, but it had still been closed for at least a year at the time.

In the "What else would you like to comment on?" question at the end of the survey, I told them it was difficult to take the survey seriously when they don't even seem to know their own rides.

^That's the entrance to the old ride queue, which I don't believe has a door.

^^I mean, I'm sure people would be complaining about how bad it would look if the lights were totally off, so it's kind of a no-win here. I don't mind them on as a matter of theming and safety, if nothing else.