TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

First time visiting this upcoming weekend. Flash pass still just 1 lap on TC, X2 and FT?

Haunted houses any good here?

To the first question, yes. Same thing for Crazanity and Superman I believe. For the Haunted Houses, the set design is kinda cool, but there's no soundtrack in most of them and barely any scare actors. If you've been to horror nights or scary farm then be prepared to be let down big time.[/quote

]

Superman hasn't been on FP in years. Crazanity, FT, X2 one time rides. TC is unlimited.

^ That's awesome if Twisted Colossus is finally unlimited. The site still says 1X, but it wouldn't be the first time the Flash Pass site isn't up-to-date.

They always tell you it’s 1x only, but every time I use a flashpass they seem to be buggy. When they scan your watch, the reserve doesn’t go away. So technically you can go again over and over. I have to manually cancel the reserve after they scan me, if I want to reserve for a different ride after I get off the current one.

^ That's awesome if Twisted Colossus is finally unlimited. The site still says 1X, but it wouldn't be the first time the Flash Pass site isn't up-to-date.

They always tell you it’s 1x only, but every time I use a flashpass they seem to be buggy. When they scan your watch, the reserve doesn’t go away. So technically you can go again over and over. I have to manually cancel the reserve after they scan me, if I want to reserve for a different ride after I get off the current one.

Even if the watch cancels correctly, it's unlimited rides on TC.

This is apparently the current status of West Coast Racers. It looks great but I feel like a late December opening is the best that we could hope for.

hz2j3j8azhu31.thumb.jpg.aad411e939d8b9032c79917406d173f8.jpg

Note: Image source is unknown so if you know, shout them out and I'll update the post. It's all over my feed from different people.

Edited by coasterbill

Like most people, I totally love to make fun of SFMM for how long this coaster is taking. But it is nice to see such a large project taking shape. Nothing about this ride seems "half-a$$ed" like some Six Flags additions.

They are completely rebuilding an area of the park that DESPERATELY needed it. It looks like they are actually constructing a full station building rather than a silly canopy like on Full Throttle. New paint everywhere, new buildings, upgraded restrooms, new pathways, a wooden coaster that no longer rides like sh*t, and a non-DC hero themed dueling quadruple launched coaster with a fantastic color scheme.

Yes, it's slow and steady, but I am glad to see such SFMM put in lots of effort into a new project. I would argue this is their largest addition (and possible largest investment?) since Tatsu once you include all the groundwork and revamp of the whole area. It can't be cheap.

Not trying to come off as a crazy fanboy (trust me, I have my issues with the park). But I am so excited for this project and think Six Flags deserves a ton of credit once it's all complete.

This is apparently the current status of West Coast Racers. It looks great but I feel like a late December opening is the best that we could hope for.

[attachment=0]hz2j3j8azhu31.jpg[/attachment]

Note: Image source is unknown so if you know, shout them out and I'll update the post. It's all over my feed from different people.

I was in the park six days ago, and as of that day, it was barely going up--it had maybe the skeletal outline of beams at best. So that's a lot of progress in six days. Makes me think a December opening could be possible... it would be in time for the big Winter Break/Holiday in the Park, which (relatively) wouldn't be terrible timing.

I imagine the park is empty today with these hot ass Santa Ana winds

It was really empty this morning. And there was a decent wait for most rides because they were saying they needed at least 20 people on the trains because of the wind. I went straight to X2 at opening and had to wait in the station for 20 minutes for more people to show up.

Like most people, I totally love to make fun of SFMM for how long this coaster is taking. But it is nice to see such a large project taking shape. Nothing about this ride seems "half-a$$ed" like some Six Flags additions.

They are completely rebuilding an area of the park that DESPERATELY needed it. It looks like they are actually constructing a full station building rather than a silly canopy like on YOLOcoaster. New paint everywhere, new buildings, upgraded restrooms, new pathways, a wooden coaster that no longer rides like sh*t, and a non-DC hero themed dueling quadruple launched coaster with a fantastic color scheme.

Yes, it's slow and steady, but I am glad to see such SFMM put in lots of effort into a new project. I would argue this is their largest addition (and possible largest investment?) since Tatsu once you include all the groundwork and revamp of the whole area. It can't be cheap.

Not trying to come off as a crazy fanboy (trust me, I have my issues with the park). But I am so excited for this project and think Six Flags deserves a ton of credit once it's all complete.

I agree with you. This is the most excited Ive been for a SFMM coaster since X. It just seems so different and yet reliable and fin for everyone. I think its gonna be a huge it. Super excited for the first riders.

They are completely rebuilding an area of the park that DESPERATELY needed it. It looks like they are actually constructing a full station building rather than a silly canopy like on YOLOcoaster. New paint everywhere, new buildings, upgraded restrooms, new pathways, a wooden coaster that no longer rides like sh*t, and a non-DC hero themed dueling quadruple launched coaster with a fantastic color scheme.

It’s six flags. The final product will be half assed in some ways. But definitely not rushed...

I am also glad that the area is getting a well overdue face lift, but the only new building in the area that isn't WCR itself is the restroom building.

Also, installing footers in a flat area with little to no conduit, drainage, or sewage rerouting isn't difficult. WCR didn't even need a full size crane to do any of the work, they just rented truck cranes and boom lifts to install the supports and track. Tatsu was many orders of magnitude more difficult to construct.

I don't know where this alternative narrative has come from (and I'm not singling out thrillseeker4552 I've seen this posted around a lot lately), but Six Flags doesn't really deserve credit they deserve blame. The construction of WCR has been a comedy of errors. The park has proven over and over again that they are incapable of sticking to construction timelines. Twisted Colossus is the only 'new' ride addition in the last 8-9 years that has actually opened on time and that was because the general contractor on the project was RMC themselves.

It’s six flags. The final product will be half assed in some ways. But definitely not rushed...

Whoever is at fault, it's the park that ultimately has to take responsibility regardless. Guests don't care who's fault it is. They care that a ride that was promoted as a summer attraction still isn't open. It will be awhile before they live it down.

The jokes will write themselves once the next major ride is announced.

Someone would be fired if it were me.

I know the park recently went 365, but I'm looking at going either right around Christmas time or within the first 2 weeks of Jan. Any idea on how the crowds should be? What's the over/under on WCR being open by than?

Crowds are really bad the week after Christmas. It was either the 30th or 31st last year that the park hit capacity and they had to turn away thousands more people, roads were shut down around the park due to crowds and it was a complete gridlock in the area. Avoid at all costs!

I know the park recently went 365, but I'm looking at going either right around Christmas time or within the first 2 weeks of Jan. Any idea on how the crowds should be? What's the over/under on WCR being open by than?

I would wait until Jan 13th as the biggest school district LA Unified is on winter recess from Dec 23, 2019 - Jan 10, 2020. Monday or Tuesday, the week after they go back to school will be the start of the slower times.

https://achieve.lausd.net/cms/lib/CA01000043/Centricity/Domain/36/School_calendar_2019-2020_Board%20Approved.pdf

1488179063_LAUSD2019-2020calendar.thumb.png.3f75e47d094dff284654835c6832c481.png