TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So... The park is hyping Aftermath? Are they just going to open the path down to that half of the area for the maze? I hope this means Apocalypse is included!

I hope so, too. Apocalypse has been testing lately, so it is possible. But Six Flags’ marketing team has a history of not having a clue what actually is going on in the parks, so it may not be happening either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ever happened to the massive parking lot solar panel project planned for SFMM that was announced back in February 2018?

Six Flags plans North America's largest solar carport at Magic Mountain

Been wondering this myself. It's like they've totally forgotten.

In some classic Six Flags Magic Mountain irony, the project is supposedly being held up by permitting issues.

I don't know why the park can't seem to figure out permits, but Justice League, Crazanity, and WCR (the station) have all been held up by permitting issues. Even the Aftermath 2 maze in the back of the park was held up for the same reason and was never actually seen to completion.

I don't think it is so much the park as it is the bureaucratic nightmare building anything in CA is.

What ever happened to the massive parking lot solar panel project planned for SFMM that was announced back in February 2018?

In some classic Six Flags Magic Mountain irony, the project is supposedly being held up by permitting issues.

I don't know why the park can't seem to figure out permits, but Justice League, Crazanity, and WCR (the station) have all been held up by permitting issues. Even the Aftermath 2 maze in the back of the park was held up for the same reason and was never actually seen to completion.

I don't think it is so much the park as it is the bureaucratic nightmare building anything in CA is.

Somehow, construction across CA and in theme parks is still booming.

If it's permitting, I suspect it is 100% a money thing---not hiring competent people to get the job done going with the lowest bidders.

Just a thought but the Solar panel project was going to be started back to front meaning starting in employee lot first then working its way back around into the main parking lots. If anyone has been to the back lot recently then you know its under just short of destruction with the massive 20,000 house project behind SFMM. Seems at min over 400 trucks are in and out all day and using the employee lot service road and Knudson and Feedmill as a exit to the Old Road. Its just a total mess right now in the back and soon as the trucks have other access or exiting options then perhaps SFMM might start with the panels.

It could be anything. I've seen giant projects come to a screeching halt because of something like workers lacking certain required safety training. California has some very strict and specific laws when it comes to certain things.

Project managers job is to know the regulations and handle them accordingly. No excuse for any delay to be caused by regulations or permits unless the people running the project suck.

It could be anything. I've seen giant projects come to a screeching halt because of something like workers lacking certain required safety training. California has some very strict and specific laws when it comes to certain things.

Project managers job is to know the regulations and handle them accordingly. No excuse for any delay to be caused by regulations or permits unless the people running the project suck.

Things happen. Not everything runs perfectly all the time, regardless of the project manager's ability to properly manage their jobs. Construction, especially in California, can be a huge wildcard sometimes. I've personally been on major jobsites where a safety consultant comes in, does a jobsite inspection, and corporate shuts down the project until all action items are corrected. I've also been on jobsites where their only person on site trained in competent person trenching is needed on another project elsewhere in the country, so the project needs to shut down until someone else is trained or brought in that can perform those duties. It's also not uncommon for a construction company to be awarded a bid sometimes less than 2 weeks before they have to mobilize to the jobsite, causing a mass scramble of personnel. Who knows what the reason is, but things can happen on a whim.

Things happen. Not everything runs perfectly all the time, regardless of the project manager's ability to properly manage their jobs. Construction, especially in California, can be a huge wildcard sometimes. I've personally been on major jobsites where a safety consultant comes in, does a jobsite inspection, and corporate shuts down the project until all action items are corrected. I've also been on jobsites where their only person on site trained in competent person trenching is needed on another project elsewhere in the country, so the project needs to shut down until someone else is trained or brought in that can perform those duties. It's also not uncommon for a construction company to be awarded a bid sometimes less than 2 weeks before they have to mobilize to the jobsite, causing a mass scramble of personnel. Who knows what the reason is, but things can happen on a whim.

Again, almost everything you listed falls back on poor planning or hiring bad contractors.

As an example, somehow PCL has the resources to be the general contractor for Galaxies Edge at Disney AND Jurassic world/Nintendo/pets for Universal.

Unanticipated delays are things like whatever the story is behind the late track deliveries. Permitting issues are 100% poor planning. Especially when the excuse is always “permitting” for the parks delays.

I feel like MM gets contractors from the front of Home Depot at this point. They've gotten hilariously bad at ride construction the past decade or so. Only exception was Twisted Colossus, which RMC did themselves AFAIK.

I feel like MM gets contractors from the front of Home Depot at this point. They've gotten hilariously bad at ride construction the past decade or so. Only exception was Twisted Colossus, which RMC did themselves AFAIK.

What rides have they constructed badly?

The problem with MM is the same with many SF parks which is they are so concerned about something leaking before their grand announcement day that they don't start pre planning and getting permits. If you go back and look at Crazanity and thir Justice league both which didn't open till Mid July, they didn;t file permits till Decemeber or January. Late permits and then CA being strict for various reasons,including earthquake risk means slow permit approval. Knott's filed permits for Hangtime early, CGA filed the1st permits for their water park expansion last september and the entire project was known by January 2019 b/c all the permits were public record. Filing early does mean people who are permit hunters can reveal the project early. That's a potential "price to pay" to get stuff open on time, rather than mid July..2017, 2018 SFMM and 2019 not even open yet.

Does any of the bureaucratic nightmare of building in California have to do with earthquake standards, or completely unrelated?

Somehow, construction across CA and in theme parks is still booming.

If it's permitting, I suspect it is 100% a money thing---not hiring competent people to get the job done going with the lowest bidders.

So what do we think is a realistic opening date for WCR? I was thinking about visiting the park in mid-November, but I probably won't make the trip unless WCR is open.

I was thinking of trying to do a trip either Nov or Dec, but WCR would help sway my decision quite a bit.

My prediction: April 2020

Do they still have a Gold Pass early entry in 2019? Also, if you have a Gold Season Pass, do you get a discount on a flash pass if you buy in person? Lastly, if buying in person and you have a group of four, is it possible to buy multiple flash passes so one person doesn’t have to pay for everyone? Thanks.

I would realistically see it opening in Nov. They are already working on multiple buildings in the area. Including a cement based building near where the station would be (not sure if it is another building or the station itself). It also looks like rather than building anew they are re-purposing the main buildings in the center.

Again, almost everything you listed falls back on poor planning or hiring bad contractors.

As an example, somehow PCL has the resources to be the general contractor for Galaxies Edge at Disney AND Jurassic world/Nintendo/pets for Universal.

Unanticipated delays are things like whatever the story is behind the late track deliveries. Permitting issues are 100% poor planning. Especially when the excuse is always “permitting” for the parks delays.

I respectfully disagree with them being 100% poor planning, because of all the other factors in play. But I'm with you on that if my project managers blatantly dropped the ball like that, they'd be reprimanded and possibly let go depending on the severity of the situation. That said, PCL is also a much larger contractor with over 4,000 salaried employees. Compared to Borrego Solar's (the company working on Six Flags' solar projects) roughly 300. PCL is vastly more equipped to handle projects from Disney and Universal than most construction contractors.

Again, I have no idea what the cause is, but many times a delay can have nothing to do with the actual project itself. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I'm just trying to provide an opinion from all angles.

Do they still have a Gold Pass early entry in 2019? Also, if you have a Gold Season Pass, do you get a discount on a flash pass if you buy in person? Lastly, if buying in person and you have a group of four, is it possible to buy multiple flash passes so one person doesn’t have to pay for everyone? Thanks.

Membership only early entry. Sorry...

I respectfully disagree with them being 100% poor planning, because of all the other factors in play. But I'm with you on that if my project managers blatantly dropped the ball like that, they'd be reprimanded and possibly let go depending on the severity of the situation. That said, PCL is also a much larger contractor with over 4,000 salaried employees. Compared to Borrego Solar's (the company working on Six Flags' solar projects) roughly 300. PCL is vastly more equipped to handle projects from Disney and Universal than most construction contractors.

Again, I have no idea what the cause is, but many times a delay can have nothing to do with the actual project itself. Maybe I'm completely wrong, I'm just trying to provide an opinion from all angles.

I'd say the odds are that SFMM chose the smaller contractor because they don't want to pay for someone with more resources who can get it right. If it wasn't a reoccurring issue that SFMM can't get rides open on time, I'd write this off as unusual circumstances. But it's clear something isn'r right on SFMM's end when their projects are behind on a regular basis....

I'd say the odds are that SFMM chose the smaller contractor because they don't want to pay for someone with more resources who can get it right. If it wasn't a reoccurring issue that SFMM can't get rides open on time, I'd write this off as unusual circumstances. But it's clear something isn'r right on SFMM's end when their projects are behind on a regular basis....

100% this. If this was the first time that a project had been delayed than it could be excusable.

The station is usually one of the first things to be (at least partially) constructed on a roller coaster build. All of the roller coaster's electrical is usually run into the station (or somewhere close nearby). The PLC that controls the ride lives in the station. The fact that Magic Mountain is just now pouring the concrete pad for the station (after trenching it a while ago) is very telling. Premier caused the initial delay, Magic Mountain has exacerbated it.

In other news, Apocalypse should be opening this weekend. The preshow has been changed up by a small, dedicated, and incredibly underpaid team at the park so I'm interested to see what they've done. I still don't know how Apocalypse fits into "The Underground" and I don't think the preshow will answer that, but at least it's a slight update.