TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I think it's a bit of a stretch to try and compare Frontier City and White Water Bay with SFMM.

I wouldn't go so far as to sympathize with SFMM fanboys out there who may be disappointed, but I'd agree it's clear that this announcement was more of an afterthought.

For those disappointed, they still haven't opened their ride for 2019 that they announced LAST August. Why should they invest in another ride? WCR will be their 2020 ride. Sucks but that's that.

Also improving events like HiTP and Frightfest is what drives repeat business, that's why a lot of CF parks keep adding them.

Adding a scarezone and more Christmas lights isn’t a huge improvement to the holiday events. Would be more impressive if they announced significant additions to the event instead of just dressing up a new area of the park that was likely already going to happen anyways.

The press release was very obviously “oh crap, let’s announce something” and not very well thought out.

That was my thought, as well. Whatever plans they had for a new ride this year obviously got cancelled and they had to scramble to find something to announce.

It sucks, but I understand why they had to do it. Their construction crew has a lot on their plate, between Magic Mountain’s 2019 coaster AND La Ronde’s 2020 coaster.

75cc3ed02f35843c919fb63373325a9a.jpg

(Credit: Our Mountain Thrill Park on Facebook)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care a single bit that they aren't adding anything new for 2020. Like others have said, West Coast Racers will still be the "new hotness" once next summer rolls around. I'm still very excited for that ride. Holiday in the Park is my favorite time of the year to visit SFMM and WCR being open will make it even better!

Let the park breathe a bit. They've had lots of big construction projects in the last few years, often times overlapping. WCR is also a huge project that required tons of "side work" besides just constructing the coaster itself.

It just seems funny that every park has to have a big announcement and be included every year. I guess I've just got used to the Asian parks way of add when we want and half the time not even announce it, you'll just show up at the park and see construction fences with a picture on the side one day.

I consider the removal of GL addition by subtraction. Just think they open up a whole new slot for a new ride in the future.

The new 300 foot RMC TREX will look quite nice in that spot.

I would want the tried and tested raptor, I am always leery of getting the prototype of a coaster.

Well yall were not kidding. The park was dead today. As in walk ons for everything, even at 3, 4 PM. Long as you were willing to take whatever row was open. At one point X2 was empty station.

Will provide all my thoughts in my big CA trip summary but I will say:

X2 fun ride, maybe riding front row inside seat was they key, but I didnt find it sooo bad. Actually it wasnt the roughness but the random violent jerking of the seats. But it wasnt the flips, those were fine imo, it was like the straights leading to/from. Was weird, and wish they could at least put some time of B&M flyer like leg holder, cause that really did me in: my legs flopping around and slamming. I quickly learned, like mid ride, to hold em straight but damn. THat said was fun, the drop is nuts and its very intense and forceful.

Tatsu...its fun, no doubt, but IDK it wasnt superb. It reminded me of well Superman...lots of drifting around and its kinda fun but thats it, and waiting for the pretzel.

T.C. oh baby. I often hear this ranked as one of the lesser RMCs or fun but less intense...no idea what on earth that's about. This ride was intense as hell. Lots of ejector, throws ya around, and people gripe about the killing of the flow. Poppycock ya just get 2 rides for one. It basically is like running back on to ride again but ya dont have to, thus making 3 rides in a row actually 6 and I was already feeling it. But yeah what a ride.

And never imagined at SFMM being able to walk on, like right to a gate on every ride including Tatsu X2 and TC

Also should say SFMM needs more shading given its location, or mist fans anything. I was expecting it to be awfully hot and still was shocked. My goodness it was brutal.

You have no idea how much I agree with you.

Not even just the summer, but even in April is was uncomfortable hot. They have mists in the Goliath line but they never turn them on, pisses me off.

I don’t know if it’s because the park sits in between mountains, so all the heat gets trapped there or what, but I find that 75 degrees and up, SFMM should definitely have mist fans running. I’m one of those people that get nauseated from heat and starts puking.

Yeah a couple of the worst offenders are the YOLOcoaster Plaza, and the area just past the midway going towards gold rusher. Walks of fire.

the yolo area was so nice before too. nice place to sit in the shade and watch the log jammer.

I consider the removal of GL addition by subtraction. Just think they open up a whole new slot for a new ride in the future.

Agreed. The best part of the ride was the queue. Maybe they can re-purpose it somehow.

I agree. For such a crappy ride, it had one of the best queues in the park. I’m curious to see if the park installs another ride in that spot with the Green Lantern theme. It wouldn’t be unprecedented, since SFOT’s new Aquaman ride is replacing another Aquaman ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah a couple of the worst offenders are the YOLOcoaster Plaza, and the area just past the midway going towards gold rusher. Walks of fire.

the yolo area was so nice before too. nice place to sit in the shade and watch the log jammer.

This reminds me of the TTD situation at CP. Before it was installed, that stretch of the park from Magnum to the Corkscrew (I was going to say Jungle Larry's Safari, but that would have really dated me!) was such a quiet, peaceful stretch of the park! I enjoyed walking back through there at the end of a long day at The Point, and just enjoying the greenery, and the little waterway that went through there. It was definitely the most "zen" part of the park!

Not saying I wish they didn't install TTD. But it definitely transformed what once was one of the most serene parts of the park, to one of the least shaded, and loudest parts of the park. So, a bittersweet situation, much like what I imagine YOLO and SFMM is (I haven't been since YOLO, but recall how nice that area was before.)

It really was an awful ride. Its a tiny space not sure what the park can do with it...maybe being Six Flags they will put in an S&S free spin lol

I was shocked how fun it was, and despite some crazy ass, often forceful motions, it wasn't violent, rough, painful anything!

Also I have to admit WCR did look cool, but I still can't help but chuckle at (IMO) the waste it is. All that space used to make a more mild combo of 2 rides they already have.

That said, FT gets hate but in back I still love it, and back row TC....just wow. Now that I've had a day to digest it I gotta say that is probably in the upper half of RMCs for me. What a ride.

Not to be too flippant, but when WCR opens, it will be the park's only dueling coaster.

Sadly, Twisted Colossus is more of a coaster that duels every once in a while... By accident.

And what makes you think they'll do any better of a job timing the dispatches on this one?