TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Maybe open by September, in time for WCB, perhaps?

#hopeful

Nope, January 2020. I honestly dont see how they can get this ride and the area its in ready by the end of 2019 they still have a ton of work to do.

Doubt it's going to take another 4 months, track work is complete.

True but they still have to do all the electrical work, testing, queue, and getting the new area done. It may not be January but I can see it being November or December.

November seems fair, and I think there is some sort of permit deadline in November afaik.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces Major Enhancements to Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park in 2020

The Popular Events will Expand into the New West Coast Racers Area

LOS ANGELES, Calif. — August 29, 2019 — Six Flags Magic Mountain , the undisputed “Thrill

Capital of the World,” today unveiled 2020 plans for the biggest-ever expansion of the park’s

two signature annual events, Fright Fest in the fall and Holiday in the Park during the winter

season. The expanded event offerings will be located in the newly renovated area of the park,

The Underground, where the new coaster, West Coast Racers, will soon open. Both events will

be developed around the area’s urban “street vibe” and will feature exciting and uniquely

themed activities and entertainment, adding an entirely different dimension to each of the park’s

popular events.

This fall, the Los Angeles-based theme park will debut the highly-anticipated West Coast

Racers, the world’s first dual-track racing launch coaster, featuring an immersive real time “pit

stop” designed and produced by world famous West Coast Customs that will provide riders with

a racing experience unlike any other. The Underground will also feature new culinary and retail

offerings, along with the park’s wooden coaster, Apocalypse, which will re-open in the fall as

well.

“Next year, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park will be taken to new heights as our newest area,

The Underground, will be transformed for each of our iconic events. Coupled with the one-of-a-

kind ride experience of West Coast Racers, these two extremely popular Six Flags events

featuring completely new immersive experiences for our guests, will be a must-do for

excitement-seekers of all ages,” said Park President, Neal Thurman. “These additions, and

many more around the park, will take our special event line-up to a whole new level of thrills for

everyone to enjoy.”

Special event additions in the Underground include:

- New Fright Fest scare zone;

- More scary ghouls and zombies than ever to roam the streets;

- Thousands of additional twinkling lights to brighten the sky during Holiday in the Park;

and

- Live themed entertainment for both events

Six Flags Magic Mountain is also announcing the start of 2020 Season Pass sales with its

special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year — savings up

to 70% off of a 2020 Pass.

August 29 through September 2, guests will receive a free upgrade to a GOLD Season Pass

with every pass purchased. GOLD Season Passes include admission to Six Flags Magic

Mountain, Hurricane Harbor (Los Angeles and Phoenix), and any other Six Flags theme park,

as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends.

During the Flash Sale, guests who sign up for a Membership receive three free months and a

Golden Ticket.

Six Flags Membership program offers guests a wide range of our most valuable benefits

including preferred parking every visit, unlimited soft drinks, 50% off almost all food and

merchandise in the park, and exclusive perks that are only available to Members. Members also

receive priority entry, special appreciation days and exclusive ride times on some of their

favorite rides and attractions. For more information, visit us online at

www.sixflags.com/magicmountain .

HITP was an awesome time to visit Magic Mountain. The cooler weather combined with all the lights was amazing. I'm on board with anything to make that event even better.

Unless I missed it, did Magic Mountain not get its own segment on the announcement video?

^ Wasn't the problem with Green Lantern that the seats would enter the station upside down and they needed maintenance to flip them back? I remember the ops in Grona Lund being able to flip them on their own, but not at SFMM. I think that's why they neutered the flipping to prevent this scenario, which resulted in a painful ride.

Well the announcements for MM is no doubt disappointing so far. As always, HH is forgotten about and they need more attractions. For MM, I dont expect a coaster yearly, would have been happy with a tilt o whirl. Honestly, to refer to the new area as the Underground is truly odd, as it is the least shaded section of the entire park. Wildly skeptical about the claims of the events expanding. Hope the work on Apocalypse paid off at least.

I'm on board with this. MM can't build a new coaster every year

I mean they haven't done that since the early 2000s anyway lol

So why are they taking out GL if they are fixing it anyway for a diff park?

Legend has it there was an incident with the ride involving injury...allegedly

I'm on board with this. MM can't build a new coaster every year. I'm glad they're taking a year off and investing money where it needs to be invested!

Agreed, that area of the park has been really neglected. With the opening of WCR and the re-opening of Apocalypse with new track work, that area will now be packed and I'm excited to see how it turns out. But I'd rather have the park get a big coaster every 5 years or so than a bunch of small additions every year. I understand why SF has this strategy of every park gets an addition every year, but it basically eliminates the possibility of SFMM ever getting a giga.

I will say that I was very impressed with the SFGAdv custom Raptor coaster annoucement, that ride looks incredible. With SF adding WCR, Maxx Force, and Jersey Devil the last two years, hopefully we will see more of these custom coasters and less clones in the parks going forward.

Edited by VegasBaby

Christmas lights and a scarezone is the most underwhelming announcement...ever?

I totally get why they had to do it, but their market niche is adding thrill rides, whether they are coasters or flat rides.

For those here who have ridden this and the Zac Spins in Europe can you tell me why this one is so hated while the ones in Europe are praised? I live in NY so I will be ridding this next year when I visit La Ronde again

Christmas lights and a scarezone is the most underwhelming announcement...ever?

I totally get why they had to do it, but their market niche is adding thrill rides, whether they are coasters or flat rides.

I think they just announced this to have something to announce. The park has been on a tick tock capex cycle for Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park since 2014 where even years see some new areas/experiences/whatever and the odd years see very minimal change with no real capital budget. The investment was already going to happen, so might as well put a press release out about it instead of not announcing anything.

What I don't know but am going to speculate on anyway (based on the tick tock ride cycle Magic Mountain has been on) is this: West Coast Racers has been so delayed that whatever small ride or attraction the park was going to receive this year was cut by Six Flags corporate as West Coast Racers will be enough to drive interest in 2020.

Ultimately, I'm looking towards 2021 as hopefully the park does something big for their 50th anniversary. 2020 (no matter how many "20 coasters in 2020" cheesy marketing slogans we missed out on) was never going to be a big investment year in the first place.

For those here who have ridden this and the Zac Spins in Europe can you tell me why this one is so hated while the ones in Europe are praised? I live in NY so I will be ridding this next year when I visit La Ronde again

I didn't ride the ones in Europe but the Youtube videos seem to indicate that those cars actually spin. I rode the one at SFMM twice. On one ride, we didn't flip or spin at all and it felt like riding a Ferris Wheel car slightly rocking back and forth through the track. On the other ride, the car only flipped once heading on the final curve into the station. Unfortunately, the brakes in the station stopped the car so violently from the spin, I thought my heart popped out of my chest and felt ill for the next couple of hours. I asked why these cars didn't spin normally and were told they put weights on the bottom of the cars, to keep them more upright and cause less loading problems. Unfortunately, the weights also ruined the ride.

I guess you will let us know if they found a way to make the cars spin again when they hook this up for La Ronde.

I've ridden Green Lantern, Insane, Arashi, and Batman at SFFT. I hated them all

For those disappointed, they still haven't opened their ride for 2019 that they announced LAST August. Why should they invest in another ride? WCR will be their 2020 ride. Sucks but that's that.

Also improving events like HiTP and Frightfest is what drives repeat business, that's why a lot of CF parks keep adding them.

For those disappointed, they still haven't opened their ride for 2019 that they announced LAST August. Why should they invest in another ride? WCR will be their 2020 ride. Sucks but that's that.

Also improving events like HiTP and Frightfest is what drives repeat business, that's why a lot of CF parks keep adding them.

The interesting part is I dont really see anyone complaining/disappointed. It's pretty much well understood why the park didn't announce anything for 2020. WCR looks great and will be a welcomed addition to the park.

Adding a scarezone and more Christmas lights isn’t a huge improvement to the holiday events. Would be more impressive if they announced significant additions to the event instead of just dressing up a new area of the park that was likely already going to happen anyways.

The press release was very obviously “oh crap, let’s announce something” and not very well thought out.

Yeah, how can anyone be disappointed when there is already a new ride in the park no one has ridden yet?

EXACTLY.

People are just so used to the park getting big addition after big addition, but get so mad when they don't add something huge/nothing at all?

Like I get it, Jim said "EVERY PARK," but Frontier City kinda got nothing as well, White Water Bay/HH Oklahoma City got an addition, but it's technically separate from the park. Either way, you'd rather take a huge addition every few years than another cookie cutter ride which I know for a fact people will still bitch if Magic Mountain were to get something from their "cookie cutter inventory."