TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I want to give Six Flags the benefit of the doubt so much. But why do they keep making it SO HARD?!

West Coast Racers, Apocalypse, Slingshot, and Dive Devil were all closed? Wow, they might as well just shut down that whole corner of the park at this point!

Except it wasn’t packed. Goliath was also closed, one train on Scream and Ninja, 2 trains on Twisted Colossus.

Looks like X2 and Lex still weren’t operational today.

It’s not the off season. This isn’t regularly scheduled maintenance. The park’s operations are simply abysmal.

Except it wasn’t packed. Goliath was also closed, one train on Scream and Ninja, 2 trains on Twisted Colossus.

It’s not the off season. This isn’t regularly scheduled maintenance. The park’s operations are simply abysmal.

How do they only run 2 trains on twisted colossus?!?! there is very little chance of any duels that way. As far as Scream, it's usually one train unless it's packed. Goliath was only temporarily closed. Still though, the 2 trains on Twisted Colossus baffles me.

Though I do know before TC was closed for an extended period last week their trains were having trouble registering the lapbars being down (at least 1-2 of the trains were) so maybe they were in for maintenance then and only 2 are ready, who knows.

How do they only run 2 trains on twisted colossus?!?! there is very little chance of any duels that way.

I've only ever seen that happen a couple of times — even on super dead days. It means that you only potentially get one duel per ride. But dueling is a real crapshoot these days because of the ride's design. Operations are consistently excellent, but the ride itself — combined with the stunning ineptitude of park guests — are working against duels. The park managed it for some time but it just seemed to be a Sisyphean task.

I'm not privy to their maintenance schedules, so thanks for the insider info. IMO, summer is the off-season, for enthusiasts at least (miserable weather, miserable crowds etc.) Go to SFMM at this time of year at your own risk. If you must go at this time, I'd recommend weekdays over weeknights, and definitely steer clear of weekends if possible. The real fun begins in just a couple of weeks when the park is regularly quiet, there are no lines to speak of, and everything's running tip-top. That's been the case for the last couple of years.

I was there on Tuesday and they were running two trains on Ninja, Batman, Tatsu, Riddler, Gold Rusher, Yolo (I didn't check Goliath or Revolution). TC was running three trains. Operations were solid and seemed in-line with usual summer crowds, but Viper only had one train running. That ride's usually a walk-on no matter what time of year, so I can see why they might cut back operations a bit there. As a result, there was about a 15-minute wait.

with SFMM, i've just learned to accept what's given. it is what it is.

Does anyone know if they’ll be a Meetup for Six Flags MM and/or Knotts this year?

By this time, I doubt there's going to be one (West Coast Bash) in September. I would think they would have announced it by now, so that people can buy tickets, plan a bit ahead, etc.

But then again, who knows? Last minute announcements are possible, yes? No?

Best place to keep checking is the section above, TPR Events. I do. And have.

IMG_1955.JPG.758be839548d92b04e16214fecebe2cf.JPG

Me and What's-Its-Name. WCB-2016.

WCR opening late is not a surprise because of a few things:

1. SFMM has a track record of delayed openings for new rides (the only major ride I can think of that's opened on schedule [i.e. Memorial Day or earlier] in the last 10-15 years is Twisted Colossus)

2. SFMM has a different peak season than the other Six Flags parks (their peak season is Fright Fest through New Year's)

3. Galaxy's Edge may have had a role to play with it.

Side note: According to queue-times.com, Apocalypse hasn't run since July 8, 2018. Is it time for it to be considered SBNO (even though it isn't listed as such on RCDB)?

2. SFMM has a different peak season than the other Six Flags parks (their peak season is Fright Fest through New Year's)

where does this come from? besides the weekends, the park is a complete ghost town during this time. i've heard people say this before. it makes no sense to me from someone who waits until that time of the year to go to the park to avoid the crowds.

Side note: According to queue-times.com, Apocalypse hasn't run since July 8, 2018. Is it time for it to be considered SBNO (even though it isn't listed as such on RCDB)?

The thing is the only reason Apocalypse is not running is because of WCR construction. So I wouldn't technically categorize it as such as there is nothing wrong with the ride iteself, just its placement necessitates it being closed. Thats just my personal opinion on it though.

WCR opening late is not a surprise because of a few things:

1. SFMM has a track record of delayed openings for new rides (the only major ride I can think of that's opened on schedule [i.e. Memorial Day or earlier] in the last 10-15 years is Twisted Colossus)

3. Galaxy's Edge may have had a role to play with it.

1) While true, this delay is mostly Premier's fault, not Six Flags.

2) This is not true, the park's peak season is the summer where they are consistently pulling 10k+ guests for a few months straight. Fright Fest is busy on Fridays and Saturdays (we're talking 25k-35k capacity busting numbers) but that's only 6 weekends out of the year.

3) That's not how Magic Mountain makes decisions at all. There is also very little market overlap between Disneyland and Magic Mountain. If anything, Magic Mountain benefits from the increased interest and tourism that Disneyland brings (although much less than Knott's) as some people will inevitably peel off from Disney and end up at another LA area theme park. As Sue Carpenter said recently, "A rising tide raises all boats", which is the mindset that marketing has towards Disney. They are in different market spaces and offer different products.

3) That's not how Magic Mountain makes decisions at all. There is also very little market overlap between Disneyland and Magic Mountain. If anything, Magic Mountain benefits from the increased interest and tourism that Disneyland brings (although much less than Knott's) as some people will inevitably peel off from Disney and end up at another LA area theme park. As Sue Carpenter said recently, "A rising tide raises all boats", which is the mindset that marketing has towards Disney. They are in different market spaces and offer different products.

having finally started going back to disneyland after not for something like 4-5 years, i forgot how different the consumer make up is. disney brings in a completely different crowd. i'd be interested to see some real data about this. i bet it would be something like 5% or less that make their way to magic mountain.

Just have the mindset that whatever they announce each August won't be open for at least a year and you'll stop being disappointed. It's hilarious but not worth getting annoyed about, just adjust your expectations (and by "adjust" I mean "remove").

With 365 operations, does it really matter? I could see being annoyed if the ride opened late September and then the park was closed November thru April, but that’s not the case. It’s best to just laugh about it. Because Six Flags. What’ll be really funny is if SFMM announces their 2020 attraction at the end of the month along with every other SF, or if they’ll see the irony in that and hold off until after West Coast Racers opens. Aw, who am I kidding?

Took a trip to the park yesterday. The crowds weren’t too bad. I was there with my daughters, so we stuck to the 48” rides. Goliath held steady at about 20 minutes all day. Revolution was 5-10 minutes. TC was only running 2 trains, the line was just under an hour. X2 has a broken part (according to guest services) and is waiting on that. The crowds definitely seemed more reasonable than the reports from last week. All in all, a good day. My daughters got to expand their coaster repertoire. Revolution and Goliath were their favorites. TC is still my favorite. I swear that coaster runs faster each time I visit. It was very aggressive, and the airtime was gloriously strong.

X2 has a broken part (according to guest services) and is waiting on that.

Any idea on when the part will arrive? A week? Two weeks?

I didn’t even bother asking. If it gets fixed within a month, consider it a bona fire miracle.

^It's peak summer season. When else would SFMM do essential maintenance on their coasters? In the off-season? LOL.

In all seriousness, I am heading to the park this Sunday for the last time until November or December. I have no expectations of X2 being open or Twisted Colossus running three trains, but I'm still looking forward to a good time. I'm mostly excited to check out West Coast Racers construction.

^It's peak summer season. When else would SFMM do essential maintenance on their coasters? In the off-season? LOL.

In all seriousness, I am heading to the park this Sunday for the last time until November or December. I have no expectations of X2 being open or Twisted Colossus running three trains, but I'm still looking forward to a good time. I'm mostly excited to check out West Coast Racers construction.

As I am sure you all know, I'd be the first one to call out SFMM for anything...but it's not like they planned for it to be down during summer season.

Since a lot of roller coaster parts are expensive and specialized, no park keeps an inventory of EVERYTHING they need. They will keep a stock of all the commonly used items and some of the other items that they feel might need replacement, but not much else. If the part that is now broken is expensive and was expected to last longer, I don't fault the park at all. It would be a dumb business decision for any park to sit on millions of dollars in parts inventory that has very little chance of being needed before its mandated to be replaced.

I just hope that while they're waiting on the part, they take the time to give the trains the refurbishment they need, buuut, I don't have my hopes too high on that one. Also I saw on Sunday that the orange train on Twisted Colossus was taken off the tracks which means it's off to refurbishment and we should see the green train back any day now. What's weird to me though is Scream got it's third train back from a huge refurbishment a couple months ago, yet they're still running one train operations on it.