TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I couldn't agree more with Robb. Just last week when those two earthquakes hit (I was at work during the 7.1 quake), my coworkers wouldn't shut up about it for literally hours after it happened. HOURS. I just wanted to move on and continue my job like normal! There's some shaking, it stops, you realize you're okay and nothing really happened, and you move on.

Given my interest in structures and my pursuit for a structural engineering degree, I find earthquakes very interesting and love learning about techniques engineers use to resist seismic movement, and given I want to design roller coasters one day, I have a lot of interest in this stuff. I've already learned about it in several of my courses so far. I will do my own nerdy research about earthquakes personally, but the people who literally talk about it for days upon days after it happened and act like a natural disaster just hit them drive me nuts. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that...

The moral of the story is Mother Nature and earth have the ability to kill us all, so freak out when that happens. Otherwise, relax.

I didn’t even stop eating dinner at the restaurant I was at when the quake it since it was a tiny roll in Los Angeles...

I'm kind of the opposite on this... having grown up in SoCal, earthquakes don't faze me and are generally not worthy of the obligatory Instagram/Twitter/Myspace/AIM status update about OMG we just had an earthquake. But I go back east and there's a tornado warning, WDW is shutting down attractions for lightning, etc. and I definitely have a huge "Oh crap..." moment. I guess for me it's just familiarity - I've lived through Earthquakes, I only experienced tornadoes on business trips or vacation.

Earthquake: during it I just wish it would stop, mostly because my dogs bark at it more than anything else which is annoying and I don't want to clean up whatever falls off my shelves (yes that includes my experience in Northridge, living less than 5 miles from the epicenter), then after I make sure loved ones are OK, assess damage (if any) I go about my day.

When I was a manager at DLR earthquakes were annoying because the most insignificant, minor earthquake was treated like a major disaster that required a massive shut down, inspection, etc. Tourists were scared and wanted refunds, locals were pissed at the overreaction and wanted refunds, CMs were celebrating the extended downtimes and insisting that crack that was placed there by Walt himself indicates Space Mtn is going to collapse, maintenance was cursing the skeleton crews we ran during park hours from the early 2000's on... fun times...

Anyone know anything about the rattling on Crazanity?

I believe this is my 4th time riding that ride and it never use to do that. This week was the first time ever that I felt the seats rattle or shake.I went with family members who went on it for the very first time and they were quite spooked about it and wanted to complain to staff. I felt pretty safe but it is something interesting that I noticed about the ride, which I never felt before. It could have just been air resistance, but it felt different. My seat never shook the first 3 times I rode it.

It's a different model but the 360 version in Gyeongju kind of rattles with a noise and the seats almost vibrate once it starts going full circle and that's also a Zamperla. Could just be a thing for their discoveries?

Looked up my TR from last year.

The only weird thing was the ride almost shudders when it goes over the top. You can hear it when queuing and feel it vibrate a bit in the seats riding.

Pendulum rides have been having some bad luck this year. Already 3 accidents, a recent one in India a couple days ago of it snapping in half.

Yeah, Six Flags does buys from Zamperla. I heard they were having problems with the motor box meaning the ride can’t go as high as it should, not sure which park.

But Six Flags and American parks are incredibly safe, so I’m not going to fret too much about it.

Crazanity is definitely one of my favorite rides at the park. I find it much more enjoyable than Goliath.

West Coast Racers Construction Update!

Robb asked me if I wanted to go to the construction tour and of course I said yes. So, here's some of what we got to look and hear about today.

First question many wanted to know, when will it open? From the pictures you will see, it's obvious there is still a lot to do. The official answer is, 2019. The Fright Fest maze in the back is returning and will be open. So, at the least, it's believed that the maze and Apocalypse will be open by the start of Fright Fest. Just a guess would be that the path will be complete, and maybe some testing will be going on.

A few facts about the construction.

There's a total of 273 footings. Some go as deep as 35-40 feet. A lot of ground work needed to be sorted out before they could pour footers. Even remnants of an old train track was buried under ground on site.

8000 yards of concrete for the ride. I'm sure there will be even more as it seems part of the pathway is concrete as well as asphalt.

1.159 million pounds of rebar used in the footings, walls and foundations.

WCR will use two, 690 volt transformers to power the 4 launches. The electrical in the area will all be upgraded and even Jet Stream was getting new power when we were there today. It will open back up Monday just in time for the 100 degree days next week.

4000 feet of track. The track is manufactured in Italy. The columns are made in two places. Some nearby in Lancaster, Ca. and the rest in China. Bet you didn't see that coming.

The buildings are all being renovated or torn down. The small arcade building is gone. Boo to no arcade. The old Epic Rides building will become a Membership Lounge. Where you can chill out and charge your phones. The candy store will return. The old ice cream building will become a Taco Stand serving street tacos. The first building will become a chicken food place named the Chicken Coop. The old Boneless Wings stand will become a snack and retail location. The old restrooms have been leveled and will be rebuilt larger and completely new.

On to some pictures!

IMG_2204.thumb.jpeg.463a6fec53913c3861c51ad96ce35afc.jpeg

A couple workers tightening up some fasteners.

IMG_2209.thumb.jpeg.9ab2179dfcbe4054e905de94626b736b.jpeg

The entryway you will walk under to enter "The Underground".

IMG_2211.thumb.jpeg.327ba58ab6e56f31d2a7ec5dcf8f8835.jpeg

There's a good amount of adjustment available on each column base.

IMG_2215.thumb.jpeg.bc3db270620b3cc3da1b767a26a4ae01.jpeg

Into the station.

IMG_2219.thumb.jpeg.4203f51f35bda181cc2627ca4a3781c9.jpeg

IMG_2221.thumb.jpeg.3e299a1e182dae0b681734061621c71d.jpeg

Big mess of support structure for the "spaghetti bowl".

IMG_2222.thumb.jpeg.d2a085847b6d971fb0b933489daaafce.jpeg

Big mess of support structure for the "spaghetti bowl".

IMG_2224.thumb.jpeg.03d77d4e197ee93eb2a7024e6f4b013e.jpeg

Launch section into the high five.

IMG_2227.thumb.jpeg.78c7ce9fc5f81a0f44b9c697f6b2cf88.jpeg

IMG_2259.thumb.jpeg.dbd165406f28970caf1ee52466d95a6e.jpeg

Second and fourth launches.

IMG_2274.thumb.jpeg.8749f8a3a56d2dfc7fc01b90551ddbca.jpeg

With the mess of structure, there should be a few good head choppers.

IMG_2277.thumb.jpeg.a75e1a3815be3bdf3f733fb188143bc7.jpeg

IMG_2280.thumb.jpeg.841fad137012c1d05165a1c9fdebaa3f.jpeg

Final inversion on the yellow track.

IMG_2287.thumb.jpeg.488e0b167f5839ba88f86e79bbf459ff.jpeg

IMG_2290.thumb.jpeg.58d9dcac9267117d74f50952de8d24c4.jpeg

IMG_2303.thumb.jpeg.82843ab9ec272da4c6ac51558723a6d6.jpeg

Candy store is gutted for an all new interior.

IMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.4927b08c5c7b5944656be3abf474dd98.jpeg

A lot of electrical to be wired.

IMG_2310.thumb.jpeg.f1fb63ce30bdb2c38963fbef367f9969.jpeg

A lot of electrical to be wired.

IMG_2316.thumb.jpeg.e0cbbf16a8877b976b66bbc66a559823.jpeg

Exiting the high five and over the midway in two spots here.

IMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.45d56b380ad6eed2f70a983e8a78ee5b.jpeg

Small drop before the drop down into the launches.

IMG_2333.thumb.jpeg.b1aaeba422f4370eb8b131d779a0e1c0.jpeg

TPR hanging out near the high five.

IMG_2338.thumb.jpeg.7f08626abc8654b0ef545e9560c18542.jpeg

Neal wrapping up the tour.

A big thanks goes out to Neal, Tim and everyone at SFMM for allowing us behind the wall to see the progress of WCR!

*sighs*

Why is it taking so long to construct this freaking ride?!?

For once, a lot of the blame actually shouldn't be directed at Magic Mountain, but rather it's been Premier that has had a real bad time with this ride. This is secondhand from some higher up guys that I still know at the park, but Premier has had a lot of fabrication delays and they had real issues with the spaghetti bowl portion of the ride. Neal said during the tour that the manufacturer had to set up the spaghetti bowl offsite because of its complexity and apparently that meant that Premier had to do some actual structural adjustments to the supports and footers. Even with that delay in regards to the support structure, almost all of the support beams arrived before the track did, although I don't know if the track fabrication delay is a direct result of the support structure delay.

Ironically, all of the construction delays on the actual coaster could have been a real boon for the contractors and employees working on the rest of the area as they have had much much more time to refurbish and replace the buildings than normal. ...But this is Six Flags we're talking about so naturally they've made no progress on any of the buildings and there will inevitably be a mad rush to finish the retheme in the weeks before the coaster opens.

Speaking of when WCR will open, based on the fact that in the pictures the electrical hasn't even been pulled through the conduit yet and they are still trenching in areas, it's going to be quite a few more months before it opens. I think November or December is being realistic (and Fright Fest being optimistic). With a ride of this complexity due to the four launches, there is going to be more PLC and controls programming and certification than normal which will add a few more weeks to the test and adjust period.

On a slightly related topic, Neal also mentioned that Apocalypse was reopening and that Entertainment has been working on adjustments for the ride (the preshow). That information came as a surprise to the people actually working on the preshow modifications as they were told a few weeks ago to stop working on the project all together and it was suggested that Apocalypse might not even be reopening, so who knows at this point.

^Um. Ninja and Psyclone were both damaged in the 94 Northridge quake. I would have no desire to be on a ride during an earthquake.

Um. Link for proof please?

This 1994 LA Times article cites quite the opposite: "None of the more than 100 rides at the park suffered any mechanical breakdown or structural damage in the Jan. 17 quake."

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1994-02-06-me-19851-story.html

The roller coasters, the Sky Tower, none of it is going to go anywhere pending human cause. Rides aren't going to "topple over" in an earthquake. They're not going to "suddenly derail" either. Most especially in the United States, there is so much over-engineering and safety precautions taken into these rides beyond an earthquake occurring, even if a world apocalypse were to happen tomorrow, these things would most likely be standing long after you and I we gone.

Even for West Coast Racers, footers are 30-40 feet in the ground! Batman in SFNO survived one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in modern day, and continues to operate to this day at Six Flags Fiesta Texas as Goliath. If that doesn't make you feel safe I don't know what does!

I'm genuinely curious- not blatantly trying to discredit here- Have you been through a substantial Earthquake?

I lived in the Southern Califonia / Los Angeles area for 30+ years, 1985 through 2016, so yes, I have been through several substantial earthquakes. After a while you become numb to them, not that scary, most everything is safe. I remember during college some time in 2010 when I was taking a nap we had a 4.0+ hit, and I remember thinking “oh jeez please stop shaking, I really am not in the mood to get up right now…”

The fact that Steel Dragon 2000 cost twice as much as Millennium Force because the park wanted to ensure that it was earthquake-proof shows that most rides aren't necessary designed with earthquakes in mind.

Huh? If anything this PROVES that rides are precisely designed with earthquakes in mind! They took into account the strength of earthquake variance in Japan as opposed to the United States, and designed the ride accordingly!

I would hope that SFMM takes some extra safety measures in their ride design since the LA area is very prone to earthquakes

Sure the park has some say, but it's the ride designers and manufacturers that decide which structurally sound measures need to be taken if the ride is operating during an earthquake. They most definitely put this in mind. Weeks ago there was a 7.0+ earthquake. Anyone hear of roller coasters malfunctioning because of it? Absolutely not. They were up an running an hour later.

I am shocked by the misinformation and lack of logic being shared in this thread!

If a roller coaster hits I want to be on a roller coaster! No safer place to be!

Um. Link for proof please?

This 1994 LA Times article cites quite the opposite: "None of the more than 100 rides at the park suffered any mechanical breakdown or structural damage in the Jan. 17 quake."

Psyclone mysteriously had trim brakes added to it after the earthquake and as the article also states, the hillside on which Jet Stream and Ninja sit had to have a retaining wall added. From the firsthand accounts I heard from maintenance people who worked there in 1994, there was most definitely concern about the footers on the hill and it was after the earthquake they discovered the Psyclone structure was in worse shape than they thought. While I suppose you can argue Psyclone's damage was from the heavy trains and the hillside doesn't count as direct damage to Ninja, it's not like a park is going to admit "yeah, the rides we say are built to sustain earthquakes actually had damage!"

Weeks ago there was a 7.0+ earthquake. Anyone hear of roller coasters malfunctioning because of it? Absolutely not. They were up an running an hour later.

Umm, the epicenter was like 120 miles from the park

yeah, that was a pretty stupid example. LOL

Yes, I know this is a TPR board, and I've been a member for awhile. I know you want to get your name out there in pics, but I think it's really tacky and unprofessional that you had to place a magnet on the unfinished coaster to promote your site on a special invite only back-lot tour of the new area. You wouldn't go to a museum tour and stick your business card on an original painting and take a picture, would you? And yes, I know the magnet wouldn't do any damage, but just don't understand why people are so unwilling to keep their hands to themselves?

Yes, I know this is a TPR board, and I've been a member for awhile. I know you want to get your name out there in pics, but I think it's really tacky and unprofessional that you had to place a magnet on the unfinished coaster to promote your site on a special invite only back-lot tour of the new area. You wouldn't go to a museum tour and stick your business card on an original painting and take a picture, would you? And yes, I know the magnet wouldn't do any damage, but just don't understand why people are so unwilling to keep their hands to themselves?

Seriously? It was a magnet. And TRUST ME, it was done in jest and for fun. And if you honestly believe we need to “promote our site” like we don’t already have 3.5 million followers and 1 billion YouTube views, well that’s where you’re wrong.

We were allowed to touch the supports and the track. No one was doing anything wrong.

Best part about all this? No one is forcing you to be a member here and you are welcome to leave anytime and absolutely NOBODY will care.

Honestly, we really don’t give a shit what you think.

Edited by robbalvey

Thank you coasterlvr for the WCR update! It's nice to see some progress on this ride. Even if it is taking a lot longer than anticipated, I'm sure it'll be a fun coaster and the retheme should spruce up that area of the park a lot.

Also, I thought the TPR magnet pictures were cute.

Imagine a life where you're that butthurt about someone sticking a magnet on a piece of steel and taking a photo of it. Good grief. (Nice update on the coaster, though!)

I haven't been in the SFMM thread in a while, good to see things haven't changed much.

judy.gif.bdcf58452d70ff49ae511ca8d6776e69.gif