TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

As for Apocalypse, I know the park did some extensive re-tracking in early 2018 and it was running great last summer before they shut it down for WCR construction. Did the park ever say they were going to do more re-tracking during the construction shutdown?

They replaced a section of track at the last turn when that section of the park first closed for construction. I haven't seen any activity over there lately, though.

Is this your first visit to a Six Flags park?

No. It's not even my first visit to one this month.

But it is perhaps the first time that, as the user above notes, that I've noticed the ticket booths entirely replaced by a makeshift will-call station.

It makes me wonder if they are going to decide to remove the ticket booths at some point?

hopefully just plow the entire front area and redo it all.

^I am quite interested to see if anything does become of the front gate, although I would not be surprised in the slightest if absolutely nothing happens and they are honestly just using the ticket booths as storage space from now on. This is the same park that has let the 'Six Flags California' sign that is the first thing guests see off the freeway rot for decades.

In regards to Green Lantern, my only hope is that once they take out Green Lantern they will replace it with something that fits the area well. For as bad of a ride Green Lantern was, its footprint was really conducive to the area (I do miss the old Batman extended queue though) and the DC Universe retheme was one of the few smart things the park has done in the last decade (IMO much much smarter than the horribly executed 'Boardwalk' area that connects the only two DC themed areas of the park).

We are driving up from San Diego and plan on staying two or three nights. isitpacked shows "hey it's all right" for this monday-wednesday. We are gold season pass holders and includes hurricane harbor. Dad doesn't do any rides but can wait in line for me.

We plan on arriving sunday afternoon. Any advice around how to best incorporate hurricane harbor in our plans? when to focus on magic mountain and when to go to hurricane harbor during three days?

Thanks!

Here's some pictures of WCR as of yesterday. Rode Ninja and really wasn't expecting to get so close to its structure. It's a pretty neat interaction, honestly.

The clearance envelope seems to be really, really tight. Should be really cool.

It was a typical day at the park. As the signals say on the railroad's radio: "No defects. Repeat, no defects."

DSC06229.thumb.JPG.14ba462d15a1de8c96d80ba260280fd7.JPG

Turns out my camera makes panoramas!

DSC06232.thumb.JPG.315137d88ff15403b403eee0821e31e4.JPG

High Five, Brah!

DSC06233.thumb.JPG.f5406a2c590226e9111812190378d38f.JPG

Messy.

DSC06236.thumb.JPG.83649ff79cfc459c267bacafdad20c6e.JPG

Track leading in Launches 2&4

DSC06250.thumb.JPG.d85c51afafa9999132b0fb0044bf60f1.JPG

Close up.

DSC06252.thumb.JPG.6e33c685593c17143fde2b00dacfb23c.JPG

Kobe Doin' Work.

We are driving up from San Diego and plan on staying two or three nights. isitpacked shows "hey it's all right" for this monday-wednesday. We are gold season pass holders and includes hurricane harbor. Dad doesn't do any rides but can wait in line for me.

We plan on arriving sunday afternoon. Any advice around how to best incorporate hurricane harbor in our plans? when to focus on magic mountain and when to go to hurricane harbor during three days?

Thanks!

I went June 19, Wednesday, when isitpacked also showed "hey it's all right". I did Hurricane Harbor from 11am-5:30pm then MM 6pm - 9pm with a platinum flashpass because I only had 3 hours till the park closes and I wanted to make sure I got on all my favorite rides.

Hurricane Harbor was quite packed for a Wednesday. Lost temples Rapids was an hour wait, Tornado 30-40min, Taboo Tower 10-15min, Black Snake Summit 20min. I couldn't handle it, so I went and got a $35 gold flashpass.

At MM, Crazanity and Twisted Colossus were about an hour wait.

You can check out queue times here https://queue-times.com/parks/32/queue_times

Right now (Sunday) you can see that Crazanity, FT, Goliath, and Roaring Rapids are all 2 hours right now.

2 hour wait for a rapids ride??? Yeah, no thx...

Agreed. Although I will say that I think Magic Mountain's Rapids ride is the best one I have been on -- I love how wide the "river" is; it has a different feel that the majority of the subsequent ones that went with smaller points, and narrow concrete chutes.

Here's some pictures of WCR as of yesterday. Rode Ninja and really wasn't expecting to get so close to its structure. It's a pretty neat interaction, honestly.

The clearance envelope seems to be really, really tight. Should be really cool.

It was a typical day at the park. As the signals say on the railroad's radio: "No defects. Repeat, no defects."

Nice, thanks for the pictures! Looks further along than I would have guessed, hah.

It’s more to do with California’s heat. MM is always a heat wave during the summer. I prefer to just go stand on the bridge at Tidal Wave and get soaked there now.

I rode Roaring Rapids twice and didn’t get wet on either attempts. Waisted my flash pass time on that ride. Imagine the people in the regular line standing 2 hours for that ride and having a 50-70% of barely not getting wet.

I wish they would redesign that ride or add a waterfall.

Agreed. Although I will say that I think Magic Mountain's Rapids ride is the best one I have been on -- I love how wide the "river" is; it has a different feel that the majority of the subsequent ones that went with smaller points, and narrow concrete chutes.

Magic Mountain's rapids ride is great, for sure. Although there's one in Anaheim that blows it away....

Hey everybody- we are headed to SFMM for the first time in a few years this Tuesday. Has anything changed as far as policies with backpacks, etc? Can people bring water bottles and/or hydroflasks into the park?

I remember being able to take a backpack and putting them on shelves when I rode the coasters. Wanted to make sure that is still the case. No outside food or snacks correct?

Thanks in advance!

Hey everybody- we are headed to SFMM for the first time in a few years this Tuesday. Has anything changed as far as policies with backpacks, etc? Can people bring water bottles and/or hydroflasks into the park?

I remember being able to take a backpack and putting them on shelves when I rode the coasters. Wanted to make sure that is still the case. No outside food or snacks correct?

Thanks in advance!

Everything is basically the same as it was a few years ago. All rides have bins/shelves off to the side for your backpacks/drinks, except for X2. If you show up there with any loose items, they will make you buy a $1 locker.

No outside food or drinks are allowed. You can bring water bottles, but they’re like the TSA; they will make you empty them out before entering the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance!

Everything is basically the same as it was a few years ago. All rides have bins/shelves off to the side for your backpacks/drinks, except for X2. If you show up there with any loose items, they will make you buy a $1 fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

No outside food or drinks are allowed. You can bring water bottles, but they’re like the TSA; they will make you empty them out before entering the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! This was exactly the info I needed.

One other quick question - do they have soda mugs or with refill options for just the day of? (ie not a season passholder option)

If so, what is the cost and is there a time limit between refills?

SFMM does sell refill bottles that give you free refills for the rest of the day or free refills for the rest of the season. If you are going to be there for more than 1 day, definitely get the bottle that gives you free refills the rest of the season. (I believe they are the gold bottles this year.) I'm not sure about the cost, but i think the daily refill bottles are like $15-16 and the season refill bottles are like $20-21. There are a few places around the park that have the freestyle coke machines and I would highly recommend filling up when you see them. I know for sure the candy shop across from Fu11 Throttle has freestyle machines as does the gift shop right by Gold Rusher.

One other quick question - do they have soda mugs or with refill options for just the day of? (ie not a season passholder option)

If so, what is the cost and is there a time limit between refills?

SFMM does sell refill bottles that give you free refills for the rest of the day or free refills for the rest of the season. If you are going to be there for more than 1 day, definitely get the bottle that gives you free refills the rest of the season. (I believe they are the gold bottles this year.) I'm not sure about the cost, but i think the daily refill bottles are like $15-16 and the season refill bottles are like $20-21. There are a few places around the park that have the freestyle coke machines and I would highly recommend filling up when you see them. I know for sure the candy shop across from Fu11 Throttle has freestyle machines as does the gift shop right by Gold Rusher.

This is great! Thanks!

Dropped by the park this afternoon in the hopes that it’d be a little less packed than my last visit a couple weeks ago. ‘Twas not to be as the place was unevenly busy (well, busy for someone who’s spoiled by one-to-two train waits in the awesome “off-season” months). The parking lots were filled all the way back to Scream, but I’ve never not been able to find a spot right next to that one cordoned-off area that’s usually empty. I didn’t venture too far into the queue lines, but Twisted Colossus was fairly maxed out, and even Scream’s line was visible from the entrance — something I’ve never seen before and certainly a bad omen. Green Lantern is still standing, which is a tragedy. The park should sell eggs and rotten vegetables for guests to lob at it. Füll Thröttlë, Ninja, and Revolution all had what looked like 45-60 min lines. As is the norm, Viper had no line at all and neither did X2. Rode Viper a couple of times but skipped X2 because, X2. Surprisingly, Tatsu’s line wasn’t bad (just one switchback in the swamp-pen with people spilling out into the walkway). I’m not a fan of Tatsu, though, so I passed. (I’ll ride it if there’s literally nobody there as it’d be rude not to.) What looked to be a three-pendulum wait on Crazanity ended up taking an hour (more like an eight-pendulum wait). Not sure how I misjudged that, but if the covered section is 3/4 full, it’s an hour apparently. Lots of security guards patrolling that line now — which is good as the line-jumping there was particularly bad due to a goofy design error. Crazanity is still fantastic, but I noticed that the leg that stretches over the löckërs was wobbling like crazy. Don’t know what that’s about, but the others didn’t seem to be moving at all. In short, all my favorites were too slammed for my liking. If you’re an out-of-towner, I’d probably recommend budgeting for whatever skip-the-line passes are available until the hordes disperse in September or so — especially if you want to ride everything.

Anyhow, no workers on the new coaster’s site today (or on the new McMansion area behind the park), and it looks like the only major progress that’s new is on the supports. It does look like they’ve got the drop in and the hill out of the second launch finished (those launches are pretty short, so hopefully they pack a punch), but it’s hard to see if the second launch is complete as it’s buried in that ditchy bit. The framework for the figure-8 is monstrous, but I assume that’s because it needs to support the two trains powering through it together. A couple of pics, but nothing too ravishing.

210EF20D-C915-471F-BD30-40A77775A908.thumb.jpeg.a9c671da375477238fcae4779a78df96.jpeg

0F315907-EDB0-475D-B7AF-CC65E541020D.thumb.jpeg.d1838e85d8d0dad8544e4e0b8929039b.jpeg

Speaking of Crazanity, is there a so called "magic seat" on these frisbee rides for best airtime and such?

My guess is "no" due to factors like weight distribution etc. You start and finish in the same place, but that's because the disc seems to correct its position before the restraints come up. I've ridden it a bunch of times in a bunch of different seats, and the experience is random but fairly consistent in terms of getting a good mix of upward/downward-facing swings. Only once did I ride it and get almost all downward-facing views while at the highest point.

There's one on Wonder Woman at Great Adventure (#26, facing Nitro), so I'm sure there must be one for Crazanity.

Really? Is that somewhat confirmed? (At least in terms of enthusiast confirmations?)

Speaking of Crazanity, is there a so called "magic seat" on these frisbee rides for best airtime and such?

I think that's possible. On Wonder Woman at SFDK, the seats opposite the ride entrance (closest to The Joker) always end up facing the sky at the top of each swing. Also, the ride always starts and stops in the same position. Perhaps I haven't ridden enough times to be absolutely sure, but this pattern has been absolutely consistent on all my rides on it. Try watching Crazanity from the queue and see if such a pattern exists on it as well.

I was at a Magic Mountain during yesterday's earthquake. I was in the flash pass office and didn't feel a thing. Others at the park did. All the rides were closed for less than an hour and reopened very quickly. I was quite surprised! I immediately got on Crazanity, and it was fine. It seemed to be the first ride opened in the back of the park.

Quick recovery Magic Mountain! The fireworks were great too...