TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I still can't figure the layout. This area seems so small.

I know what you mean. I find it interesting that this coaster doesn't even really touch the old Deja Vu plot of land (I suppose they want to continue using that area for Fright Fest). West Coast Racers definitely gives me "Silver Bullet" vibes in that it's built on top of everything.

More and more track and supports are showing up every week. I would still be shocked if this is open before Labor Day.

I'm hopefully going to go out there in October for Fright Fest (because I don't feel like getting scorched in 100 degree weather in the summer).

What are some hotel recommendations? I'd want a decent place that hopefully provides transportation to and from the park

I'm hopefully going to go out there in October for Fright Fest (because I don't feel like getting scorched in 100 degree weather in the summer).

What are some hotel recommendations? I'd want a decent place that hopefully provides transportation to and from the park

The hotel rates in the area skyrocket at fright fest time. Your best bet would be to research rates on Google and take the city bus to the park. It drops off right by X2.

The hotel rates in the area skyrocket at fright fest time. Your best bet would be to research rates on Google and take the city bus to the park. It drops off right by X2.

Good to know that the bus drops you off at the park

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't pictures of the construction and supports floating around. I'm unfamiliar with the park, is the area for the new ride kind of out of the way or are they still really just moving dirt?

David

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't pictures of the construction and supports floating around. I'm unfamiliar with the park, is the area for the new ride kind of out of the way or are they still really just moving dirt?

David

They’re really just moving dirt.

There are a few Facebook pages and YouTube channels that have been covering material deliveries. The track just started arriving a week ago.

I was at the park about a week ago and they were still in the middle of pouring concrete footers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David

Yes the area is out of the way since its in the back 20% of the park and you cant really do a loop around it. There are many many coaster fan boy sites posting updates. I'm not sure I can list them without getting banned and I have to much fun in here to do that. Just google it and I'm sure some pics will pop up.

Hey everyone, quick question. Does the double-sided Revolution exit still exist in the aftermath of the opening of New Revolution?

(I.e. if I walk in the park when the gate opens and want to take the old shortcut up to Tatsu, it's still there?)

Hey everyone, quick question. Does the double-sided Revolution exit still exist in the aftermath of the opening of New Revolution?

(I.e. if I walk in the park when the gate opens and want to take the old shortcut up to Tatsu, it's still there?)

yeah, the stairs are still there. you mean walk underneath the track to the back of the station and up the stairs? that hasn't changed.

If I'm looking at that picture correctly it looks like they're in a very orderly line excitedly heading towards Twisted Colossus as a family so I assume they just have impeccable taste.

... also yeah, they found a place with tons of food and water in the middle of the desert.

Random question: Why do Geese like hanging out at Magic Mountain so much? Is it because it's an easy source of water/food?

Yes... they have ponds/fountains, dropped food, greenery, and for the most part, they are not harassed or force evicted. Geese and ducks normally nest in shrubbery near bodies of water, so a shrub next to a fountain or water ride containment pool looks like a natural home to them. Six Flad is unwilling to let Yosemite Sam or Elmer Fudd fix the problem, so the geese and ducks never leave

Good points.

By the way, I went again today. I checked out the West Coast Racers site today. They're still installing footers. At their current rate, I will be shocked if we see verticle construction before late May, which means we most likely will not see this ride open until the end of August.

Today I spotted the first white and yellow track for WCR - West Coast Racers in the park. Yes, there are a few pieces of track along side the employee road into the park. These 3 pieces of yellow and white track are "hidden" behind the Green Lantern. It's hard to see, but I spotted it today riding Batman. I don't take pictures on rides (following the rules), or I would've posted some. Progress...

Random question: Why do Geese like hanging out at Magic Mountain so much? Is it because it's an easy source of water/food?

It's cause they're cute and I'm pretty sure the park protects them. They've been there ever since I can remember, kinda like the rooster and chickens at Knott's Berry Farm across Beach Blvd.

You don't wanna get caught messin' with those Daffy Ducks, I assure you.

Doing some catching up here, but Green Lantern isn't 'counter weighted' any more than the other Zac Spins. The only thing different about Green Lantern is the magnetic brake that controls the speed of rotation is stronger (and slows down rotation), hence the miserable rides that we have all had. IMO, good riddance.

Also, I would be stunned if West Coast Racers opens in August. Considering that they are still pouring footers and that it's a quad launch coaster, I would be shocked if the test and adjust period actually went quickly. Once the last piece of track is in place, I'd guess that the ride would be around two months from opening at best.

It's cause they're cute and I'm pretty sure the park protects them. They've been there ever since I can remember, kinda like the rooster and chickens at Knott's Berry Farm across Beach Blvd.

The park doesn't do anything to protect them, or anything at all, which is honestly detrimental to both the geese and employees. The geese love Six Flags, but the employees hate them. They sit on roads everywhere backstage and won't move for vehicles, they hiss and bite, and worst of all they poop EVERYWHERE. It gets really gross in some areas due to the sheer volume of geese poop.

Doing some catching up here, but Green Lantern isn't 'counter weighted' any more than the other Zac Spins. The only thing different about Green Lantern is the magnetic brake that controls the speed of rotation is stronger (and slows down rotation), hence the miserable rides that we have all had. IMO, good riddance.

Also, I would be stunned if West Coast Racers opens in August. Considering that they are still pouring footers and that it's a quad launch coaster, I would be shocked if the test and adjust period actually went quickly. Once the last piece of track is in place, I'd guess that the ride would be around two months from opening at best.

The park doesn't do anything to protect them, or anything at all, which is honestly detrimental to both the geese and employees. The geese love Six Flags, but the employees hate them. They sit on roads everywhere backstage and won't move for vehicles, they hiss and bite, and worst of all they poop EVERYWHERE. It gets really gross in some areas due to the sheer volume of geese poop.

Yeah, it's pretty gross in Screampunk and DC areas. I know this is Six Flags we're talking about, but they should really have a crew to pressure wash problem areas overnight.

From what I’ve learned (just had a client with geese explain this to me the other day) Canadian Geese return to every year to the site where they 1.) previously nested, or 2.) where they were born.... and apparently this continues for their entire life. So most often they will return every year to give birth where they were born. So if way back in the day SFMM had some geese nest, and/or give birth... it’s just snowballed since then.

Has anyone obtained the new flash pass watches and noticed a glitch on them?

When I went two weeks ago, I noticed that after the employee would scan my watch (by using the app on their iphone), that it wouldn't cancel my reserve. I found myself at multiple stations, having to manually cancel my reserve (it would still say ready on my device) on my watch before picking another ride.

This even goes for the rides that are one-time only too. Like for example Full Throttle, after they scanned my watch and let me on through, since the scanner didn't automatically cancel the reserve for Full Throttle, my watch still said "ready" for Full Throttle, so technically I could go in line again after I get off. Though I never actually attempted to do it and get back in line, because I was too scared to even try it lol.

When I went two weeks ago, I noticed that after the employee would scan my watch (by using the app on their iphone), that it wouldn't cancel my reserve. I found myself at multiple stations, having to manually cancel my reserve (it would still say ready on my device) on my watch before picking another ride.

This even goes for the rides that are one-time only too. Like for example YOLOcoaster, after they scanned my watch and let me on through, since the scanner didn't automatically cancel the reserve for YOLOcoaster, my watch still said "ready" for YOLOcoaster, so technically I could go in line again after I get off. Though I never actually attempted to do it and get back in line, because I was too scared to even try it lol.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It's a bonus for the 1 ride only choices. It also saves time for any other rerides you want to do. I find it more of a positive than negative. I do hate the watches. I wish they could bring back the q-bots!

This even goes for the rides that are one-time only too. Like for example YOLOcoaster, after they scanned my watch and let me on through, since the scanner didn't automatically cancel the reserve for YOLOcoaster, my watch still said "ready" for YOLOcoaster, so technically I could go in line again after I get off. Though I never actually attempted to do it and get back in line, because I was too scared to even try it lol.

Yes, I've noticed that too. It's a bonus for the 1 ride only choices. It also saves time for any other rerides you want to do. I find it more of a positive than negative. I do hate the watches. I wish they could bring back the q-bots!

Yeah, swiping on the watches was tricky for me (either I didn't press hard enough and/or my finger was smudged) when I went to GAdv.

That and TWICE the battery died on me (one of those being when I was near Kingda Ka)

Well of course it is a positive for us customers I'm just wondering if Magic Mountain is aware of it.

Shhh no one tell them.

Does anyone know if SFMM currently hires people to work weekends only? (I hope it's OK for me to ask that here.) I have a full time Monday through Friday job, but I've always wanted to work at an amusement park and am interested in doing so on the weekends.

Took a quick spin around the park today after not visiting for a few months. It's a good time to go as, even with single-train ops, all the coasters were a walk-on with instant re-rides on several. As such, I even hit a few of the rides I usually skip (Tatsu and X2, for example. The fire was working on X2!).

You can't really get up to the new area anymore as they've walled the walkways off just past the Jet Stream exit. However, you can see (from various vantage points) the footers for the new coaster. I could be mistaken, but it looked like the go-kart track was all ripped away (presumably to install the coaster track there). Although I don't think this ride will be particularly noteworthy, you can kind of get a sense of how cool it'll look walking toward the area and under the track.