TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Or at least, thats my 2cents on Mill Force...

Not sure why MF is a big part of the discussion now...

But I get your point. Every ride is unique. The short version of everything I'm trying to say is that Goliath is a good ride. It's unique. It's fun. If you want to ride it, more power to you. I'm a sucker for unique rides as well.

My personal opinion is that it's by no means SFMM's marquee attraction, but it's very re-rideable except that it has one of the longest lines in the park. SFMM has one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) lineups of any park in the world and is definitely worth visiting. I think if you visited you'd be more impressed with Tatsu, X2, Full Throttle, Twisted Colossus, Lex Luthor, and Riddler's rather than Goliath, but you'd definitely still enjoy the ride. It's a great ride.

Ok some random question, but I'd like to hear some opinions on Goliath (and/or the other Giovanalo hyper for that matter, if you've ridden it.)

I think it comes down to personal preference. If non-stop thigh-smashing twisty disorientation (RMC / Skyrush) is your thing, you'll most likely find Goliath boring. But if you dig big, protracted elements, a sense of speed, and less-aggressive airtime (think B&M hypers), you'll dig it.

I guess you could say I don't have necessarily have a preference but like to view every ride as being unique and special in its own way - and having something different to bring to the table.

For example, I just can't help but to my rolls my eyes at the tiresome and beat-to-death "Millennium Forceless" trope anymore (honestly, the dead horse had been beaten long ago; its since been fed in to a meat grinder, incinerated, and repurposed as spiringtime fertilizer. I've also never found it all that clever to begin with, nor funny!)

Sure, its not the most intense ride, but isn't that what Maverick, TTD, and now SV are for?

And for the context of when Millie was designed, I would imagine they weren't concerned about putting a ton of airtime on it, considering the former marquee attraction (Magnum) had no shortage of it. (Not to mention how challenging it is to fit the world's first giga into the footprint they did - that was a feat alone, I can't imagine they worried themselves about what hardcore enthusiasts decades later on internet forums would gripe about it being "forceless")

They wanted something very different from Magnum - something the world had never seen before, and that they got.

This is similiar to why the Beast is designed the way it is (not much airtime, terrain-hugging etc.). They didn't want what some would view as just a "bigger Racer". (And this was a risky project as well, much more risky than MF I would say).

Truth is, Millennium Force doesn't need neck-snapping lateral-Gs or thigh-murdering ejector airtime to be one of the best coasters...

Its thrill is derived from absolutely hauling A$$ all the way through its course, so much so that even after well over 6000 ft of track, it still has gravy enough to scare the ever-living shit out of unsuspecting guests (particularly by the unloading station), as it goes into its last overbank.

Or at least, thats my 2cents on Mill Force...

DAE MILLENIUM FORCE TEAM STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!

HOW WOULD THIS COASTER SURVIVE WITHOUT SUCH FANBOY SUPPORT?!?!

I guess you could say I don't have necessarily have a preference but like to view every ride as being unique and special in its own way - and having something different to bring to the table.

I don't know if I'd give it any awards based on uniqueness or originality. The first half feels quite a bit like a B&M but with only a couple of elements (the drop out of the first turnaround is surprisingly fun, and the airtime hill is quite sustained). The second half is B&M smooth, but the g-force on the helix is something else. For me, it's just a fun re-ridable coaster that you can enjoy without having to worry about bruises or a concussion. I tend to favor rides that are easier to enjoy, and so it's in my top three at the park (Full Thröttle and Ninja would be my others). For originality and uniqueness, X2 would be the obvious choice (not a great ride though). Flashback was probably the park's most unusual installation, and I'm probably one of just three or so people who absolutely loved that thing (even though it bashed your ears).

My personal opinion is that it's by no means SFMM's marquee attraction, but it's very re-rideable except that it has one of the longest lines in the park.

I think it depends on when you go. I generally stay away from the park on weekends and usually drive up there during the months when the kids are in school. As such, I don't remember the last time the ride wasn't a walk-on with multiple immediate re-rides. I've even been the only rider on the train more than once. Having said that, the line is literally long — it's a hike down to the building. It's also a line that, if you do go on a busier day, it's hard to gauge just how long your wait will be until you're well into the switchbacks.

yeah, if goliath has a big line, you're there on a packed day. it's a fairly good people eater.

I would question if Goliath is a people eater. It has the potential to be, but with seat belts, several seats going empty every dispatch, and frequent two-minute dispatches, I would say it is quite average at best.

Every B&M in the park (when running at least two trains) and Twisted Colossus definitely have faster moving lines. But their queues are nowhere near as enjoyable as Goliath's, so pick your poison.

yeah, if goliath has a big line, you're there on a packed day. it's a fairly good people eater.

I would question if Goliath is a people eater. It has the potential to be, but with seat belts, several seats going empty every dispatch, and frequent two-minute dispatches, I would say it is quite average at best.

Every B&M in the park (when running at least two trains) and Twisted Colossus definitely have faster moving lines. But their queues are nowhere near as enjoyable as Goliath's, so pick your poison.

scream and batman are fast too. like i said goliath is a pretty good people eater. has been since new. pre and post seat belts. only time is sucked was when they were swapping wheels every few circuits when it was brand new since the wheel compounds would fall apart.

scream and batman are fast too. like i said goliath is a pretty good people eater. has been since new. pre and post seat belts. only time is sucked was when they were swapping wheels every few circuits when it was brand new since the wheel compounds would fall apart.

Yeah I agree with Goliath being a people eater, and back in the day when they used 3 trains it would absolutely munch through lines.

it can't be said enough

Yeah, it's definitely a common refrain in this thread. It seems like every year when SFMM announces something, a chorus of "Are we there yet?" fires up and doesn't stop until the new thing's built. It's just the nature of the thread it seems. If it wasn't this, it'd be an issue with the trash cans / restrooms / parking / paint / cement / sun / moon etc.

I can't imagine this ride will take long to assemble. After all, it's a fairly small family-style coaster that stays low to the ground. Much of the land prep is probably close to completion, and I'd be surprised if the construction company took long to put it together once the factory delivers all the pieces.

it can't be said enough

Yeah, it's definitely a common refrain in this thread. It seems like every year when SFMM announces something, a chorus of "Are we there yet?" fires up and doesn't stop until the new thing's built. It's just the nature of the thread it seems. If it wasn't this, it'd be an issue with the trash cans / restrooms / parking / paint / cement / sun / moon etc.

I can't imagine this ride will take long to assemble. After all, it's a fairly small family-style coaster that stays low to the ground. Much of the land prep is probably close to completion, and I'd be surprised if the construction company took long to put it together once the factory delivers all the pieces.

It's a common refrain for this thread because somehow there is always what appears to be delays on their construction projects. It was announced in late August of last year and they are just now receiving track and pouring footers. Summer season kicks into full gear about a month from now when all the local school districts are out. Erecting the ride is only one small piece of the puzzle---then there is programming, testing, state inspections, the area redevelopment itself...lots left to do.

It's a common refrain for this thread because somehow there is always what appears to be delays on their construction projects. It was announced in late August of last year and they are just now receiving track and pouring footers. Summer season kicks into full gear about a month from now when all the local school districts are out. Erecting the ride is only one small piece of the puzzle---then there is programming, testing, state inspections, the area redevelopment itself...lots left to do.

Compare this ride to Copperhead Strike, which was announced at roughly the same time and is arguably a more intricate ride, and it's clear why people forget about SFMM's "new for 20XX" rides in this thread.

So we’ll see it open by fright fest.

I know this is supposed to be hyperbole, but it really goes to show that this is hardly a 2019 coaster if you ask me.

But don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the new coaster. It's going to be awesome when it opens!

I know this is supposed to be hyperbole, but it really goes to show that this is hardly a 2019 coaster if you ask me.

Oh, I didn't realize it had been pushed back to 2020! (The last estimate I saw was Summer 2019 ‚ so I figured it'd be June / July-ish) That is unfortunate! I wonder what caused the problems?

Oh, I didn't realize it had been pushed back to 2020! (The last estimate I saw was Summer 2019 ‚ so I figured it'd be June / July-ish) That is unfortunate! I wonder what caused the problems?

I was just joking with my Fright Fest comment, but I would guess no sooner than 4th of July at their current pace.

I was just joking with my Fright Fest comment, but I would guess no sooner than 4th of July at their current pace.

IIRC, CraZanity didn’t open until mid-July. I’d be stoked if WRC is open by the 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know haha. My point is that, since it's (most likely) not going to be open during most of the summer when more people are going to the park, it's not going to be open for much of what seasonal parks would consider the 2019 season. Of course, SFMM is year-round, which is why they can pull it off, but the first season it will be open during spring-summer months is 2020.

I hope they can't get Apocalypse open before WCR, maybe after the major construction is over they can open a path from Roaring Rapids down to the entrance. The work on Apocalypse has been quite extensive.

Lots of new supports have arrived for the ride in the staging area. They are preparing and pouring footers in the go cart area now. I can definitely see progress. I still can't figure the layout. This area seems so small.