TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So with all the horror stories I have read with Green Lantern, why are the other models around the world not having the same issues that SFMM has/had? Looks like this might be the shortest-lived coaster there at SFMM EXCEPT for the two rides in the rotation program, Bobsleds and Shockwave.

What was the difference between this one and the spin ones at other parks (like the Joker at Great Adventure). I went on both and found them to be pretty similar

the biggest difference is the seating position. the S&S free spins rotate near your waist. this one has 4 people back to back and the rotation point is behind you. so when it rotates, it throws you into the restraints.

the free spins rotate similar to X2. alan shilke talked about the difference in an interview once and it made me understand what happened to my brain and body the one time i gave it a ride. LOL

intamin did show a video of the zac spin 2 which had seating and rotation the same way the S&S free spins do.

So with all the horror stories I have read with Green Lantern, why are the other models around the world not having the same issues that SFMM has/had? Looks like this might be the shortest-lived coaster there at SFMM EXCEPT for the two rides in the rotation program, Bobsleds and Shockwave.

i think that there are what 4, in all the world says something. i'd guess the other ride the same. some good rides, some bad rides.

When I rode INSANE at Grona Lund, I knew exactly what I was getting into. A very intense, sometimes

strong forces ride. Which was awesome! And on one of the two tours TPR did there, that I took,

one guy actually got a nosebleed from riding it.

But - did he sue Grona Lund? No, he didn't. By some miracle, he took responsibility, and got taken care of.

Now, if that happened at SFMM....what are the odds, huh? So they dumbed down the intensity of it,

throughout the cycle, and upped the security, which also sacrificed a LOT of comfort on it.

I rode it back in Sept.2016. Glad it's going away. I rode it only for the credit. And that's that.

The most recent ride I had on Green Lantern flipped upside down at the midway point and stayed locked upside down. The valleys of the drops were brutal in that position.

Grona Lund's is intense, but when it flips it goes all the way around.

I could definitely see them getting a free spin although I bet they would want to differentiate the two rides a bit considering how hated Green Lantern was.

New for 2020:

Green Lantern - Second Flight

The park will probably wait at least until West Coast Racers opens before removing Green Lantern so they can brag that they were the first to 20 coasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't dislike Green Lantern like many people did but I won't miss it either nor its operations. I had some fun rides on at a WCB a few years ago and I got an unbalanced ride in the morning that flipped several times and got stuck in the upside down posiion for several minutes when it came back into the station. I'm going to ride the original ZacSpin in Sweden this summer so I'm curious to see how it was intended to ride.

The park will probably wait at least until West Coast Racers opens before removing Green Lantern so they can brag that they were the first to 20 coasters.

That won't mean anything if Green Lantern is closed down for good. But SFMM can now open another coaster in 2021 and claim it to be its 20th coaster for its 50th anniversary which will be a great marketing strategy. Hopefully they get something really exciting for their 50th anniversary.

Ugh. I loved Green Lantern and the way it tried to rip my face off. Between this and Volcano, 2019 is a sad year for American Intamins.

Glad I'm not the only one who actually liked Green Lantern's intensity, even if it was a bit painful. I'm really hoping it gets relocated somewhere where it can operate at its full potential.

The only reason Green Lantern was cycling today was because some executives from La Ronde were out looking at the ride as it's most likely going to be relocated there.

How do you know they were executives from La Ronde?

Trust me he knows

I'd imagine they will remove GL once the 2020 addition is announced. I guess we can assume back to back coaster additions in order to maintain first to 20 coasters.

I really loved Green Lantern when I rode it, but I'm not sure if that was pre-modifications or not. It was early 2012 at WCB that year. It absolutely delivered the super intense ride that only Intamin can provide.

I get that Magic Mountain wants to perpetually fight the "coaster wars" or whatever, but I really wish they'd focus on running/repairing/painting what they've got. When I visited on a weekend this past September, on a Saturday, Viper, Green Lantern, Apocalypse, and Superman were all down, then Superman eventually opened. When we got there about 2 hours after opening on Sunday, the same coasters were down, plus X2, Full Throttle, and Twisted Colossus all weren't ready to open yet, though these all eventually would open by about 2 PM. I believe Goliath and Twisted Colossus were the only coasters running more than one train the entire weekend. The coasters all had either peeling/fading paint and almost every coaster had seats and restraints with trim pieces that looked like crap.

It was pretty slow, so most queues didn't exceed 20 minutes with 1-2 train waits on everything, but it just really felt unacceptable for a park that is always pretending to be the biggest and baddest to be operated this way.

Ugh. I loved Green Lantern and the way it tried to rip my face off. Between this and Volcano, 2019 is a sad year for American Intamins.

I'll miss Volcano, but I won't miss the "Grunt Lantern." I rode it twice during year 1. That was 2 times too many. Good bye!

Didn’t Intamin release concept art of a ZacSpin with an LSM launch with a layout similar to the S&S Freespin? That could easily be the replacement for Green Lantern.

This thing? Just a gut feeling, but I don't see that happening. If they replace it with a similar coaster, it'll be the one they've been putting in all their other parks.

Edited by Ed Farmer

That won't mean anything if Green Lantern is closed down for good. But SFMM can now open another coaster in 2021 and claim it to be its 20th coaster for its 50th anniversary which will be a great marketing strategy. Hopefully they get something really exciting for their 50th anniversary.

They already announced WCR as their 20th coaster - which they can technically still do if GL is still standing when WCR opens, even if they tear it down later in the year.

Didn’t Intamin release concept art of a ZacSpin with an LSM launch with a layout similar to the S&S Freespin? That could easily be the replacement for Green Lantern.

This thing? Just a gut feeling, but I don't see that happening. If they replace it with a similar coaster, it'll be the one they've been putting in all their other parks.

I don’t think that was what I was talking about.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2016/02/intamin-reveals-new-lsm-launched-zac.html?m=1

Here’s what I was referring to.

They already announced WCR as their 20th coaster - which they can technically still do if GL is still standing when WCR opens, even if they tear it down later in the year.

I think they'll remove green lantern as soon as it is determined what is actually going to happen to it. Don't think it has anything to do with marketing 20 coasters. If that is there reason for keeping it standing, they had better prepare for other theme parks to take them to task on social media now that making fun of stuff counts as effective marketing.