TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Is there anything noticeably different about Viper? Seemed to down a long time for just standard maintenance. But then again, it took them six months to replace Goliath’s lift chain!

I haven't ridden Viper since it reopened, but from what I understand this maintenance period was mostly electrical and operating system upgrades. I think they also replaced the lift chain. I would imagine the ride experience is the same as it has been in recent years since almost nothing was done to the trains, at least visibly.

I'll ride it on Wednesday. It's one of my favorite coasters in the park.

I know Neal said ad WCB that they were planning on reopening Green Lantern in 2019, but I read a rumor yesterday that the plans to reopen have been scrapped and the park actually plans on removing the ride in the coming weeks. If that happens, what do you think they would put in it's place?

Where did you read that at?

I know Neal said ad WCB that they were planning on reopening Green Lantern in 2019, but I read a rumor yesterday that the plans to reopen have been scrapped and the park actually plans on removing the ride in the coming weeks. If that happens, what do you think they would put in it's place?

If for whatever reason you find yourself at Six Flags today, be sure to treat the employees nice as the company has decided to not pay anyone holiday pay.

Merry Christmas!

And there you have the reason they have to resort to 16 year old ride ops. Many of whom will probably call in sick...

A comment on a picture of Green lantern on the Our mountain Thrill park Instagram page. Someone said they know someone who does contracts for the park.

Hey all. I'm in southern california for the holidays and was considering visiting SFMM tomorrow. Will it be crazy because kids are out of school?

Thanks for the input!

from what i saw on some social media, it was packed today, and i assume tomorrow will be the same.

Hey all. I'm in southern california for the holidays and was considering visiting SFMM tomorrow. Will it be crazy because kids are out of school?

Thanks for the input!

According to the crowd calendar at Is It Packed, SFMM should be really busy Dec 26-30, ok on the 31st, packed on Jan 1st, and then ok again from the 2nd to the 5th. So yes, it will probably be crazy busy tomorrow, so you may want to invest in a Flash Pass if you go.

Thanks for the input!

According to the crowd calendar at Is It Packed, SFMM should be really busy Dec 26-30, ok on the 31st, packed on Jan 1st, and then ok again from the 2nd to the 5th. So yes, it will probably be crazy busy tomorrow, so you may want to invest in a Flash Pass if you go.

I'd say to also study the California school schedule. I'm pretty sure that Isitpacked does this too. Generally, parks live and die by the school schedule. If the local kiddies are in school, the park will be dead, or at least less crowded than usual. When the kiddies are out of school, the park will be much more crowded. When school is in session but there are days off in the middle of the year, and the park is open, that's when it will be most packed. The middle tier is during the summer M-F. The summer is long enough that parents can spread out when they bring their kids to the park.

If you think Magic Mountain is packed, just go to Knotts on a Saturday. Magic Mountain wont seem so bad then!

Yeah, that's what I heard. I went to SFMM/Knott's for the first time about two months ago. Ironically, when I went Knott's was an absolute ghost town (Wednesday) and SFMM was relatively uncrowded on Thursday but absolutely packed on Friday. Go figure. I think that Knott's also manages to stay efficient even when the park is dead so you only really get waits on Ghostrider. Six Flags still messes around and does single train ops when they think it won't be packed, so a ghost town still gives you some waits. And everyone just mobbed SFMM for the Friday night Fright Fest, and because it was open until 1:00 AM.

Any idea what factors aligned to make today such a mess? I know it's typically more crowded when schools are on break, but today seems like it may have been even worse than normal compared to past years between Christmas and New Years.

I'm asking because I'm not from the area and I'm planning on going to the park this coming Wednesday. Hopefully it's a lot quieter that day!

I just saw on the news that they had to bring in CHP to completely shut down MM Parkway. Has this ever happened before?

Last I recall it happened in February either 2017 or 2018 might have been a presidents day weekend and again it was a BAFF day.

I came from SFMM at 7pm tonight and we had more cars that last time, so the CHP shut this down to early as today we still had a good 500 spots available.

I have heard in the late 70's early 80's that most epic event was Loretta Lynn with massive crowd. As she was packing in around the country and Coal Miners daughter had also just come to theaters.