TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I find the one time use for skip the line on the Flash pass they sell is a big turnoff and rip off with a couple of the rides. Why do they do this?? This is why I prefer Cedar Fair parks, they don't limit your rides with the pass they sell.

Twisted Colossus and Viper show still closed on the website. What's up??? Did they never get Viper up and running yet?

They're still working on Viper, they had a crew working on the mid course brakes and the transfer track today. For Twisted Colossus I'm not sure. It was fine on Sunday but today it was surrounded by cranes and they seemed to be doing some kind of track work

Anyone with a pulse on the goings on at SFMM have a clue if Twisted Colossus, Lex Luthor, and Justice League will be open by December? Was hoping to get use out of my season pass for some new rides since the last time I've been but with Apocalypse and Green Lantern being closed for a while it'll pretty much only be Yolocoaster and OTSR-free Revolution that'll be new to me. I wouldn't expect lines to be crazy in early December, but was debating if regular or gold flash pass was worth it at all.

Twisted Colossus and Viper show still closed on the website. What's up??? Did they never get Viper up and running yet?

Well, let's consider Twisted Colossus has been running consistently with no major issues or downtime since 2015, and Viper is almost 30 years old. Also I cannot remember the last time Viper was ever closed on a visit. I'd guess they're getting some tender love and care. I don't know if anyone enjoys Viper the way I do, but they can take as long as they want if it means the thing will be opened for another decade.

That being said, has anyone ever rode Vortex at Kings Island?

I was absolutely blown away with how well designed and non-slam-into-the-headrests the ride was. Except for after the MCBR into the double corkscrew, holy crap for some reason Arrow could just not figure out how to design a transition into those double corkscrews for either rides! They are SO obnoxiously bad! Also the Vortex restraints were not that bad at all, and for all the insane kind of elements going on and 1 less inversion, a much more pleasant experience as far as I was concerned. For some reason Arrow went with those terrible awkward hard OTSR's on Viper that never made any sense to me at all.

Last but not least, I've never needed a Flash Pass for SFMM before May or After September. Yes, you may wait an hour in 1 or 2 lines while the others are 15 Minutes or walk ons, but unless you're in the butt middle of Summer, as always explained around these parts...get to the park, scope it out, then decide if it's worth it.

^ I also really enjoyed both Viper and Vortex. Viper's OTSRs don't bother me because I'm tall enough that my head sits up above them, and I've ridden it so many times that I know when to brace for possible headbanging. Vortex was a pleasant surprise; that straight drop is so much better than a curved drop. If Viper had that straight drop, it'd probably be my favorite looping coaster.

^ I also really enjoyed both Viper and Vortex. Viper's OTSRs don't bother me because I'm tall enough that my head sits up above them, and I've ridden it so many times that I know when to brace for possible headbanging. Vortex was a pleasant surprise; that straight drop is so much better than a curved drop. If Viper had that straight drop, it'd probably be my favorite looping coaster.

I also enjoy both for this reason. If my head weren't above the restraint, I'm sure I'd have a different opinion.

I like Viper. Vortex needs to be loaded onto a rocket and launched into the sun.

And I'm the complete opposite. I thoroughly enjoyed Vortex, and re-rode it 5x when I visited KI. Viper on the other hand beats me up. I think my torso is too long for Viper's restraints, but I seemed to fit in Vortex's just fine.

Viper is in my top 3 at the park - TC is number 1, but then it’s pretty much a three way tie between Revolution, Viper and X2. Second to last row on Viper is my magic seat. The whip over the first drop... pure bliss. Just ride it defensively and soak in the Arrow magic.

Well I am glad for X2 and TC being put into refurb. The restraints on X2 were looking very chewed up and kind of gross looking on my FF visit. TC wasn't as bad, but they definitely could use some TLC. Very curious to see if they do any restraint work on the trains or track work on Viper. All 3 stations could use a bit of help in the visual appeal department. Just in general, I think they need to go around to all the coasters and put in shelving for loose articles/drink cups where there is none, like at Crazanity.

FF next year on a Friday. During the day, I doubt FP would be worth it. There is every possibility that all the coasters might be functioning, so that will divide the crowds up nicely.

Don't forget the A's have 4 World Series titles and the Giants have 3...

The way the World Series is going, looks like Revolution is getting a Red Sox retheme in the near future.

Does that count as a new credit?...lol

I will GLADLY allow the BoSox to have their name on the Revolution coaster as such, because that way the only California Baseball team with the most current World Series title is the Anaheim Angels. With Studly Stud Man Mike Trout one can only hope they try to get him a ring before those low-lifes!

I was at the park today, and here's a ride update.

Rides closed:

Twisted Colossus - working on supports under the track.

Lex Luthor - Maintenance in catch car riding up with water dummies in the seats.

X2 - for me no biggy

Viper - ditto see line above.

I was really surprised how many rides still had 2 trains running. Exceptions to this: Ninja, Batman, Goldrusher.

How long have Green Lantern and Apocolypse been closed? If they've been closed a long time, I'm surprised RCDB hasn't listed either as SBNO

Green Lantern closed roughly around the same time Xcelerator closed, in late summer / early fall of 2017. Of course, Xcelerator has since reopened.

I can't speak for Apocalypse, but I rode it last December.

How long have Green Lantern and Apocolypse been closed? If they've been closed a long time, I'm surprised RCDB hasn't listed either as SBNO

Green Lantern closed roughly around the same time Xcelerator closed, in late summer / early fall of 2017. Of course, Xcelerator has since reopened.

I can't speak for Apocalypse, but I rode it last December.

Apocalypse has been closed since early/mid July of this year. A piece of track was removed from the final turnaround (for some unknown reason) and is still missing. Since that whole area is now closed off for construction, I wouldn't look for it to reopen until West Coast Racers opens.

I was kinda bummed that they didn't get it open for Fright Fest, as it's one of my favorite night rides. I wouldn't shed a tear if Green Lantern was removed, though.

Evacuation order was finally lifted for my house on Sunday so I got to go to the park for a couple hours today to unwind a little. It seems like they're ready to go for Holiday in the Park. Twisted Colossus was running with 3 trains. The only (unusual) closure was X2. Gate was closed and nobody was guarding the bridge. Viper had crews working on the transfer track. Heard a rumour recently that it might not be back up till next year. From Ninja I saw that they were digging and doing prep work for footers behind the Epic Rides store. Other than that not much change around the WCR area. Another thought, was there a fire by the park recently? I noticed that the brush behind Batman was all burned. Also, because of the fires LA county and Ventura County schools are out till after Thanksgiving, so expect the park to be more crowded than usual on weekdays through then. When I left around 2:30 the second lot was starting to fill up to the picnic area. Oh, and still no signs of life at Green Lantern, even though Neal mentioned it should be up and running by the time WCR opens.

^X2 closes when there's even a slight breeze in the forecast, and high winds are forecasted in Valencia all the way through tomorrow.

That's interesting about the burnt brush behind Batman. Maybe it was a controlled burn?