TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Man, what a cool addition! It is indeed the world's first racing launch coaster, "coaster" being singular. It definitely looks to be a Premier-built ride, because those trains are unmistakably Sky Rocket trains with some nice dressing. I agree with the idea that both WCR and Maxx Force are designed by Ride Centerline, because the flow and elements are very similar to each other. I would say the same for Steel Curtain, and I might even guess Alan Schilke could have done them all as well! I wonder if the renders just recycle the track style or it really will have something similar

I love how just when you think that they've covered all of the possible concepts someone comes up with a brand new one. I was confused about the laps and races too. What I'm thinking is the 2 launches are considered a separate race not necessarily that you're going to go through the whole course twice like a Moebius strip but I could be wrong.

Super pleased with this! I'm glad I kept my expectations low, because this is much bigger than I was expecting. Luckily, I think the whole "pit stop" and re-launch will be much more effective in making sure the trains race every dispatch. That seems much easier to time than lift hill speed like on TC.

I was definitely not expecting them to go with Premier on this, but I am 100% OK with that. I love the Sky Rocket IIs and Full Throttle, so more power to them. With that being said, I really hope they don't put the discomfort collars on this...

So it starts off with two elements uniquely found on Twisted Colossus (high five and top gun stall)?

I think the coaster looks pretty interesting/fun (minus the awful Premier comfort collars shown in the video), but I think it would've worked better for any other SF park. It seems pretty redundant as it's essentially a hybrid of YOLOcoaster/Twisted Colossus.

PS- I hope they find a way to consistently race them and learned from the challenges with Twisted Colossus.

This. All of this.

Also, my first thought after seeing 'World's First Racing Launch Coaster' was that that was complete marketing BS. The quad-launched Fiorano GT Challenge at Ferrari World was the first other racing launch coaster to come to mind. Don't call something a 'World's First' when it isn't. Call it the world's first launched Möbius racing coaster instead.

I love how just when you think that they've covered all of the possible concepts someone comes up with a brand new one. I was confused about the laps and races too. What I'm thinking is the 2 launches are considered a separate race not necessarily that you're going to go through the whole course twice like a Moebius strip but I could be wrong.

Its moebius hence why the park is not touting this as their 20th and 21st coaster. You will get to experience both sides each time you ride, just like Twisted Colossus.

Edited by Top Thrill Dragster

It's gonna be just like Twisted Colossus. Instead of going super slowly up a lift hill, there will be a little show building a la Mystic Timbers' shed, then when the new train is ready they line it up. Should be a little easier to control the racing by just keeping the train in the pit stop until the new one's ready.

I like this addition. Very good choice for the park. Very nice it has a local California connection for the theme. Plus, a whole new themed area as well, and the continued work on Apocalypse. Nothing to complain about this year for SFMM.

This isn't the Mack/RMC looping hyper coaster of our dreams but I actually think it's the right coaster for SFMM right now. It fills the perfect niche in their lineup.

Almost makes up for the loss of Gwazi.

Fixed!

I know people wanted a record breaker giga or a inversion crazed coaster. This is a good fit and one thing Magic Mountain is missing. A tame coaster that the whole family can enjoy. It will be our Verbolten, Maverick or Corba Curse.

It's something I can ride with my little girl. She is 42 inches in height and every time we hit the mountain, she ask can I ride that? When I have to tell her no. Then I hear, ah man....! So hopefully she will be tall enough to ride this and others next year. Tired of paying for a season pass and being stuck in Bug Bunny World.

I know people wanted a record breaker giga or a inversion crazed coaster. This is a good fit and one thing Magic Mountain is missing. A tame coaster that the whole family can enjoy. It will be our Verbolten, Maverick or Corba Curse.

It's something I can ride with my little girl. She is 42 inches in height and every time we hit the mountain, she ask can I ride that? When I have to tell her no. Then I hear, ah man....! So hopefully she will be tall enough to ride this and others next year. Tired of paying for a season pass and being stuck in Bug Bunny World.

This may be the first time I've ever heard Maverick and 'tame' in the same conversation. Lol.

Have they said what the height requirement will be? The SkyRocket I/II/III's are all 52-54". Fiorano GT Challenge is 51". I'd be shocked for this to be less than 48" (what the BSC clones are), but wouldn't be shocked at 52-54".

Maverick is not a family coaster. Well over 48" minimum, and world-class intensity. Heck, even Verbolten is far from "tame" and pushes the limits of what a family coaster is.

Magic Mountain already has Ninja (42" minimum, and a coaster that is far better at being "family" than Maverick and Verbolten), Revolution, Goldrusher, and Apocalypse all sitting in between X2 and company, and Bugs Bunny World.

That said, this looks to be a great stepping stone between those four and the bigger and more intense coasters of Magic Mountain.

A tame coaster that the whole family can enjoy.
Maverick

Are you trying to kill your family?

Dude my daughter is adrenaline junkie like me and that kills my husband cause he is not! We walk around MM looking at the coasters and she smiles when hearing the people screaming. Last visit we sat for 30 minutes watching FT launches because she though it was funny.

I am not going to put her on X2, Viper, Batman, Tatsu. Yes I will take her on Revy (or as she calls in Wonder Woman because of the Red White & Blue trains) Gold Rusher and Ninja as her first coaster. So depending on her height at that time, she maybe ready for West Coast Racer.

Robb how old was KT when she got on her first coaster?