TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hmm. Wasn't what I was expecting going into the announcement. Kind of looks like a mix between Twisted Colossus & Full Throttle personally. Should be a fun ride that I'm looking forward to riding next year.

Very interesting! Looks like a great coaster, I love the layout and overall I'm impressed! As far as pure size goes, this looks to be SF's largest new coaster in quite a few years! Perfect for SFMM and a worthy 20th coaster! With Twisted Colossus it's kinda redundant layout-wise, but it certainly looks awesome! Can't wait to one day ride it!

As a side note - it is kinda funny though how Six Flags is 2 for 2 in "world's first coasters that aren't actually the world's first or even the only of it's kind operating" with WWGLC (which is technically not the world's first single rail coaster) and WCR (which is definitely not the world's first launched racing coaster). That's not a complaint or anything, just a funny observation.

One of the best things about this whole announcement, is how well Six Flags kept it out of the Enthusiast hands. With all the different leaks and speculation posted out there they really outdid themselves and I believe they are delivering a true winner for the park. Great job Six Flags your whole adrenaline alley concept will surely draw guest back to that area of the park again well done.

As a side note - it is kinda funny though how Six Flags is 2 for 2 in "world's first coasters that aren't actually the world's first or even the only of it's kind operating" with WWGLC (which is technically not the world's first single rail coaster) and WCR (which is definitely not the world's first launched racing coaster). That's not a complaint or anything, just a funny observation.

SF false advertise ..NEVER..LOL!

It's also not record breaking with magnetic launches either. This one has 4 as well...also a racing launch coaster:

https://rcdb.com/4245.htm

Looks like JetStream is coming out?

It's still shown in the video:

wcrlf.thumb.jpg.1b7dafa03bffbc4adc1291dd789d1f52.jpg

Definitely Looking forward to West Coast Racers! Love TC, now WCR looks like it will be a blast as well.

Another racing coaster can't help but make me think that Knott's was way ahead of their time with the short lived, and horrid Windjammer Surf Racers.

Looks like Jet Stream will stay, thankfully. I couldn't imagine loosing another water ride there after the Log Ride closed.

Well, it's not enough to get me to buy a season pass but it'll definitely get me to attend West Coast Bash 2019.

Also I always love announcement time because of the endless entertainment of TPR newbies getting shredded by Robb.

“Worlds first racing launch coaster”....what about chiller from GADV?

And Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore?

*Edit*

I think this might be the first continuous coaster and not 2 separate coasters. Kinda like TC where you get to ride both sides before the ride comes to an end as opposed to having to get off and back on again?

SFMM media event for West Coast Racers!

Last week Robb asked if I'd like to cover this event. Figured sure, why not, should be fun.

First off, it was interesting that they were having an event. What, we usually just sit in front of the computer until they release the video right? Anyway, I was in the park today and saw them setting up a good amount of stuff, stage, seating, monitors. What is going on here. I was kind of expecting we might be in a room, with a monitor and a microphone. haha

When Robb posted that West Coast Customs was involved, that was a real WTF moment for me. See, I'm a 30 plus year veteran in the car audio world, so cars have always been a part of my life. I've had a few friends work there in the past as well. Usually, I see Ryan and West Coast Customs at trade shows in Las Vegas. It was really weird to see them here, but the elaborate club type atmosphere for the event started making sense.

Walking up to the Metro Park Pub it was cool to see a couple custom cars there on display. Not your usual thing to see in the park. The announcement started with Ryan of West Coast Customs driving up in a classic Lincoln Continental. Couldn't really see since he pulled up behind the stage but they put the car on display later.

Anyway, on to some pics!

IMG_7243.thumb.jpeg.e010cd09f1aefdb7c7019cbe443b3bba.jpeg

IMG_7245.thumb.jpeg.e763f93813cb8cc1c7721844eb664c54.jpeg

IMG_7246.thumb.jpeg.bbfbb18bb30db36ee77a97c77b5d4cb5.jpeg

IMG_7247.thumb.jpeg.ee416224c270c020c3563cb53fbbe2b8.jpeg

IMG_7248.thumb.jpeg.e1ea5e366869b21665bafa9cd4cc1eec.jpeg

IMG_7249.thumb.jpeg.298dc5cc2a0dd5c8bf2a3f74aa9632b5.jpeg

some of the food items. they also had some sliders.

IMG_7269.thumb.jpeg.b2857ed50e285c3704350532d1a70a0a.jpeg

IMG_7271.thumb.jpeg.2e5cf6317ef4dbac74a76da331d4304b.jpeg

IMG_7274.thumb.JPG.7cbfd1d87738a2a79e0beacadc5174e3.JPG

4 t-shirts were available to purchase at the event.

IMG_7283.thumb.jpeg.4ac5db54a5798ee89e9f0b2484d72ea2.jpeg

IMG_7284.thumb.jpeg.f941db93e9f41f52ad69bb22643e139d.jpeg

IMG_7285.thumb.jpeg.9a484a5140d2eee77425d822a9e7ee1d.jpeg

IMG_7286.thumb.jpeg.5a8fdd2a5ab35f865cbc403c1dfc40a2.jpeg

Ryan and SFMM park President Neal Thurman

IMG_7288.thumb.jpeg.24ead8eef5357b6fc49096947e1e4f9b.jpeg

IMG_7296.thumb.jpeg.81559e103e02c79637d439f8a0eaa25d.jpeg

IMG_7297.thumb.jpeg.44998b9717e5de7e3dfdc8cd339e86b3.jpeg

IMG_7299.thumb.jpeg.2f012fda986f7d64d288e4bc59ff10d0.jpeg

IMG_7300.thumb.jpeg.de12fefc5c5fe0ce8563eaabbcc30e72.jpeg

IMG_7303.thumb.jpeg.d91ebeb982a5c00a4ee94062051590e8.jpeg

SFMM handed out this nice poster as we were leaving.

IMG_7312.thumb.jpeg.64052f54e7522572322e8658591eacee.jpeg

I actually didn't eat anything at the event so stopped by one of my favorites, The Hat, on the way home for a pastrami sandwich!

IMG_7314.thumb.jpeg.ead536bfce39ed165e2ff27bdb894416.jpeg

BTW, I'm very excited for this ride. Looks like a ton of fun!

So I keep reading on other sites and a number of YouTube post that this is a Premier. No where was the manufacturer mentioned or identified. The track does not look like their normal track stock. And the press release identified Westcoast customs being involved with the car design, I assume there body work not the actual chassis. The rendering guys more the style of the new vekoma designs. Is anyone aware yet of the actual manufacturer?

^ I thought it might have been and S&S earlier, but after watching the animation more closely and looking at some video's of some of the newer Premier coasters, I'd say it's definitely a Premier. If you look at the animation closely, it has the thick spine in the racing helix part like the sky-rocket rides have. The design for the LSM also matches that of all the Premier coasters as well.

Looks amazing... and maybe counted as two coasters! (yeah, I went there). My first thoughts were how it indeed looked like a Maverick-West type of ride... Low to the ground launches, track interwoven and relentless speed. Pretty excited about this. I am also going to think it's Premier or S&S.... they have been building a lot of brand new coaster rides from American manufacturers lately, which is nice to see.

Well, it's not enough to get me to buy a season pass but it'll definitely get me to attend West Coast Bash 2019.

Also I always love announcement time because of the endless entertainment of TPR newbies getting shredded by Robb.

QFT. Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. This, Hang Time, GotG, and Star Wars Land...should be a fun time.

Glad Magic Mountain is sprucing up that area. When I was there in '16, I thought it was a bit empty. I went there for Apocalypse, which I thought was fun, but afterward never really felt any need to go to that area again. This should definitely help.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

^ I thought it might have been and S&S earlier, but after watching the animation more closely and looking at some video's of some of the newer Premier coasters, I'd say it's definitely a Premier. If you look at the animation closely, it has the thick spine in the racing helix part like the sky-rocket rides have. The design for the LSM also matches that of all the Premier coasters as well.

It also shows the premier style seating with their lap bar and comfort collars. Had to stop the video to notice it though. I gotta say, it’s a very unique ride. It looks like it will be good fun! I like that they chose a unique theme for this coaster too. All in all, it looks like a very good addition!

Looks amazing... and maybe counted as two coasters! (yeah, I went there). My first thoughts were how it indeed looked like a Maverick-West type of ride... Low to the ground launches, track interwoven and relentless speed. Pretty excited about this. I am also going to think it's Premier or S&S.... they have been building a lot of brand new coaster rides from American manufacturers lately, which is nice to see.

It's definitely a Premier Rides coaster. It's also only one coaster, as it's a möbius loop, like Twisted Colossus.

EDIT: Also, I feel bad for the poor Tesla Model S that had to shamelessly give its life to be turned into...whatever it is that West Coast Customs was displaying there.

Edited by A.J.

That certainly doesn't look like the Vekoma "family" coaster that all the "enthusiasts" were fretting over (not that there would have been anything wrong with a "family" coaster). It looks really cool and frames the new area very well.

Although I get that the mobius / racing element has a connection to Twisted Colossus, they look like totally different ride experiences and layouts.

This is much better than I was expecting.

This looks really cool. I'm kind of interested to see how the whole "pit stop" element pans out. Are they going to load both trains at once and both run through the layout simultaneously? Or have one sitting in the pit stop until the other train gets loaded and ready to launch? If that's the case it sounds like there should never be a reason for missed duels like on TC.

I can't wait to get back there next year, and hopefully by that point the kiddo will have grown enough to enjoy all of Magic Mountain's offerings!

Or have one sitting in the pit stop until the other train gets loaded and ready to launch?

This is my understand of how it should work. So it should always duel. Unless you're on the very first train of the day, in that case, you only get half a duel. Hopefully it does work this way.

I think WCR looks awesome, and I can't wait to get back out there.

Or have one sitting in the pit stop until the other train gets loaded and ready to launch?

This is my understand of how it should work. So it should always duel. Unless you're on the very first train of the day, in that case, you only get half a duel. Hopefully it does work this way.

This is correct, you can see at about 40 seconds into the video that the second train is continuously moving through the station to the launch, and that the building appears to only have load / unload on one of the two sides.

In theory, if they are running at least 3 trains, you should have the one train unloading/ loading, while the other completes the circuit (1 min?), so hopefully the pit stop won't need more than 30 -45 seconds. But this is Magic Mountain . . . . be prepared for a leisurely pit stop.

I think WCR looks awesome, and I can't wait to get back out there.

It should still duel, just with an empty train, unless they remove the 3rd train from the course.

Looks pretty cool honestly, Six Flags really stepped up their game on this ride. Also very interested to see who the manufacturer is. Gut says Premier but the track also looks similar to Vekoma's new track. Part of me really wants this to be Vekoma so we can get some of their new stuff Stateside.