TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

It's a relatively tame drop given its appearance, but it's still one of my top-5 rides in the park — and the back seat is a must. Goliath still delivers height, speed, and yes, solid floater air on one of the smoothest tracks around. Different strokes, obviously, but I much prefer coasters you can ride reliably without wondering if you'll get off bruised or injured; it's one of just a few rides in the park that I'll gladly marathon if there's nobody in line. Aside from the chain lift issues, it's totally reliable and pure fun. Plus, having ridden the less-smooth Texas counterpart, kudos for SFMM for maintaining this one so well. A trip to the park without a ride on Goliath seems incomplete to me whereas I'll gladly skip more than half of the rest of the park's lineup. The only issue I have is that the helix does make me gray out pretty much every time (which, is true for a number of positive-G rides for me).

I actually really enjoy Goliath. Of course, I prefer quite a few other hyper coasters, but something has to be said for the pure "fun factor" of Goliath as well as how smooth it is after all these years. I also really like the trains and restraints.

Unless the ride has SERIOUS issues with maintenance down the line and the park has lots of trouble getting parts and upkeeping it, I don't think Six Flags is going to touch Goliath any time soon. It is such a GP machine, ALWAYS has a line (at least when I've been there), and has a huge reputation in the entire SoCal area. Heck, even here in Utah I hear people talk about Goliath and how it's the "biggest baddest coaster" around. It's really iconic.

i seriously have no idea how you guys say it's a huge hit for the so cal area. it's a tall comfortable ride that anyone can ride, like space mountain. LOL so, a lot of people ride it, and it might be the best ride at the park for throughput. i'll admit, that when it was new, while i was happy for a new ride of it's height, it was still the weakest hyper coaster i had ridden, which i think is still true today. and that was before they slowed the lift and stopped the train on the mid course.

All the people that visit the California parks have probably never been to a park on the east like Cedar Point. A majority of guests that visit SFMM don’t even know what Cedar Point is. They don’t have the experience of a true hyper or giga coaster because Goliath, is the biggest thing we got here in the highly populated California. It’s sad but very few people have been on rides like Nitro, Millennium Force, Fury 325, and Diamondback. Goliath is the best we got.

I rode Goliath for the first time a couple of months ago, I really enjoyed it. It is an odd coaster though for sure.

Not really sure why more weren't built back then. I also grey out on the helix which has never happened to me on anything until that coaster!

That and Titan, which straight up tries to put you to sleep on the helix, are both extremely underrated in my mind. Titan is actually my favorite ride at Over Texas.

i seriously have no idea how you guys say it's a huge hit for the so cal area. it's a tall comfortable ride that anyone can ride, like space mountain. LOL so, a lot of people ride it, and it might be the best ride at the park for throughput. i'll admit, that when it was new, while i was happy for a new ride of it's height, it was still the weakest hyper coaster i had ridden, which i think is still true today. and that was before they slowed the lift and stopped the train on the mid course.

I think I'm just tired of bashing the ride, and choosing to look at the positive of what Goliath did for the park. I absolutely would have taken an Intamin, B&M or even Morgan hyper over it. But the ride is nearly 20 years old now, and is what it is. I've moved on to other, more noteworthy rides in the park. And I'm looking forward to what SFMM has in store for 2019, as well as finally getting another hyper up at CGA.

I think I'm just tired of bashing the ride, and choosing to look at the positive of what Goliath did for the park.
I think incessant bashing is just the nature of the thread It's exhausting! I'm just glad that I can enjoy and appreciate Goliath for the fun ride that it is. I've ridden a ton of coasters all over the country, but I still find it to be one of the most all-around enjoyable hypers (although I'd still kill for a great B&M floater like Diamondback in the park!)

That and Titan, which straight up tries to put you to sleep on the helix, are both extremely underrated in my mind. Titan is actually my favorite ride at Over Texas.

That's the only part of the ride I don't really care for, and it's doubled on Titan! Those helixes are seriously forceful.

It does look smaller than I thought it would be, I thought they would be clearing out the old deja vu spot as well. If it stays at that foot print, you can almost guarantee the Mack Spinner sky rocket thing. It’s still really early on in construction though , so the site may get bigger.

Pretty small footprint actually, look at Riddlers for example...what, 4 times the footprint...still thinking Mack spinner skyrocket 2 looking thing. CGA gets the $20m Mack

People are basing the SFMM rumor on the documentary with what some guy said. He said next year. CGA's permits filed and approved for their coaster are for construction 4/2019 thru 12/2109. That's next year, even though it will open in 2020. CGA could very well be getting the Mack. Let's not even bring up the issue that SF hasn't spent 20M on a coaster since bankruptcy, they haven't even spent 15M. There is also the chance the guy doens't know the US well and misspoke, hecould have meant Carolina. Carowinds Mack is confirmed with shipment manifests from Mack to US ports with the receiver being Carowinds

Pretty small footprint actually, look at Riddlers for example...what, 4 times the footprint...still thinking Mack spinner skyrocket 2 looking thing. CGA gets the $20m Mack

I don't get this logic. So if CGA is getting the 20 million dollar Mack, how is SFMM still getting a Mack spinner? Unless we think that suddenly 3 major parks are getting Mack coasters in the next year or so. Possible sure, but probable? That's quite a sudden boom in Mack coasters...

Also, is it just me or is this construction area very linear... Like Superman, Xecelerator or even Full Throttle?

I don't think they cleared that land for a ride but possibly new buildings along the midway. I highly doubt SFMM would make their 20th coaster anything but massive. It just doesn't seem like their style.

I'm also convinced the new station will be where the still-standing Deja Queue is. But whatevers going in, it's size kinda depends on the fate of Roaring Rapids.

I'm just really excited to see what they do with the area.

Survey markers could also indicate utility paths. Way too early to speculate on anything.

I won’t completely disagree with this, however, a survey company typically will not want the liability of locating buried utility’s. They are almost always marked from the respective utility companies and with a specific color associated for the type of utility (blue=water, yellow=gas, red=electric, orange=communications). Also, If they are there for marking utilities they aren’t going to mark them outside of the “work zone” by too much of a margin because it’s not needed. So it goes to show how large the area could potentially be.