TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Heading up on Monday, any idea what the crowds might be like?

Could be busier since it’s only supposed to be 99 on Monday. It’s dead today since it’s 109 but even our busier days this summer haven’t been bad. 30-45 min for the headliners, walk on for everything else.

I’ve noticed when they are loading guest on CraZanity they are allowed to sit wherever they want meaning the guests leave empty seats in between each party. I wish it was like at SFDK where they have you start at one seat and fill all the rest in a circle with the employee making sure no seats are skipped.

Just got a solo ride in on Superman! Man, that thing goes WAY higher when it's not weighed down!

I've had that experience too. It's hard to believe that human weight could effect the launch height that much, especially with the weight of the cars.

^^ CP and KI have a pretty efficient system with their giant frisbees, too. Each seat was numbered, and each guest was assigned a numbered seat before boarding. Of course, this required someone to stand out in front of the gate with a clipboard and assign seat numbers, but this could easily be done between dispatches. It seemed to cut down on confusion over trying to fill in empty seats.

I'm going to try to get back to the Mountain for a few days this upcoming week. It's funny, all the hotels are now overpriced, and I can't find my normal air bnb locations available. I guess everyone's on vacation there.

I see they're finally removing VR from Lex this Sunday. Got to get my drops in...

A couple interesting notes on Crazanity, they've started playing music on the platform which is pretty cool, and on my ride today the ride seemed pretty Shakey when it was coming to a stop and it didn't rotate us back to our origial positions either. Seemed a little strange but it sped up the unloading a little

and on my ride today the ride seemed pretty Shakey when it was coming to a stop

I thought it was oddly shaky when I rode it during the preview week, but thought it shook while accelerating as well as braking. It wasn't rough or anything, but felt very different to the other giant frisbees I've ridden. Then again, it also felt more intense than them, too.

Anyone know how packed/hot it's gonna be tomorrow? It's gonna be my day off and I wanna hit a few rides

Looks like the high tomorrow is 104, so the waterpark will be packed but the dry park should have pretty short lines. I went to the park on a Saturday last summer when it was 108 and the longest wait we had all day was 20 minutes. It was weird seeing TC with an empty station on a Saturday in the middle of summer.

Just got a solo ride in on Superman! Man, that thing goes WAY higher when it's not weighed down!

I've had solo rides on Superman many, many times and yes, they are much better than a car full of riders. If you ride it enough solo, you can feel how the LSM's get fired off in sequential pulses, and it's honestly pretty freakin' cool.

A couple interesting notes on Crazanity...the ride seemed pretty Shakey when it was coming to a stop and it didn't rotate us back to our origial positions either. Seemed a little strange but it sped up the unloading a little

Is it typical for flats of this type to rotate you back to the original position? To me that seems irrelevant, but it's strange that you noticed that. I've been on quite a few coasters but I usually pass on the flats, their carnival like movements get me kind of queezy.

Also, hearing about the shaking, or rumbling...that...that doesn't sound good. I mean it's a fairly uncomplicated flat. I hope this doesn't become one of those eye-sore SBNO flats. However, who knows with Six Flags. I think that awesome Green Lantern still ain't doin nothing.

Just a good old chunk of cash flushed down the terlit with that son of a gun.

Is it typical for flats of this type to rotate you back to the original position? To me that seems irrelevant, but it's strange that you noticed that. I've been on quite a few coasters but I usually pass on the flats, their carnival like movements get me kind of queezy.

Also, hearing about the shaking, or rumbling...that...that doesn't sound good. I mean it's a fairly uncomplicated flat. I hope this doesn't become one of those eye-sore SBNO flats. However, who knows with Six Flags. I think that awesome Green Lantern still ain't doin nothing.

Just a good old chunk of cash flushed down the terlit with that son of a gun.

Well, I went on it (Crazanity) like, 10 times at least in the first week it was open and every time it would slowly rotate you back to your original spot. I think the shaking is them trying to stop the ride quicker to increase capacity which would explain the rotating part. Also with Green Lantern I heard that they are actually still in the middle of a lawsuit with that one and they can't operate it till it's settled. They have added a lot more brakes to it though.

Green Lantern was an injury, lawsuit waiting to happen. It's a shame six flags is more interested in their coaster count then the safety of their guests. I mean, is anyone surprised someone got hurt on it. I'm not. Maybe they should have over trimmed the ride before they got sued. Now, maybe, coaster #20 will still be #19.. SBNO doesnt count, in my book anyway...still think they should just tear it down

Wasn't the ride working just fine in the early stages of the ride opening when it was able to spin freely? Besides the train sometimes returning upside down which is why they changed it in the first place?

I'm not sure what happened or what changed, but I rode it in the first week of operation and it was excruciatingly painful even then.

To me, it seemed pointless to have CraZanity rotate back to its original position, considering they don't have assigned seating. CP and KI's giant frisbees have numbered, assigned seating. In this case, rotating the seats back to their original positions allows the ride ops to direct guests to their assigned seats, instead of telling them just to walk around and look for them. But considering SFMM doesn't do this with CraZanity, what's the point?

Green Lantern was an injury, lawsuit waiting to happen. It's a shame six flags is more interested in their coaster count then the safety of their guests. I mean, is anyone surprised someone got hurt on it. I'm not. Maybe they should have over trimmed the ride before they got sued. Now, maybe, coaster #20 will still be #19.. SBNO doesnt count, in my book anyway...still think they should just tear it down

Well, SFMM is known as the kiddie coaster capital of the world so... 20 is still possible, even if they decided to remove GL.

Wasn't the ride working just fine in the early stages of the ride opening when it was able to spin freely? Besides the train sometimes returning upside down which is why they changed it in the first place?

I'm not sure what happened or what changed, but I rode it in the first week of operation and it was excruciatingly painful even then.

Was there on the first week too and it was the most uncomfortable ride. I wish SFMM would take this ride out and replace with a compact kick arsh coaster. Hell I would even take Flashback in that location.

^ I never got to ride Flashback, as it had already been turned into a batch of Hampton Bay toaster ovens by the time I became interested in coasters. Still, it sounds more fun and reliable than GL. Is Knott's old Boomerang still up for sale, though?

To be fair to the park, there are a couple of important things to note:

1. Has it even been confirmed that there is a lawsuit?

2. Magic Mountain can't just do whatever they want to a ride. It had the approval of Intamin and the state of CA to open. You can armchair engineer all you want, but actual engineers approved it to open.

3. Magic Mountain may not have the best reputation, but I can say with confidence not even they would be grossly negligent in operating a ride.