TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't be shocked if some hints leaked out soon, given they walled off a whole area of the park

Idk, 6 flags is pretty good about keeping secrets, even better than Apple

I get what you're trying to say, but Apple leaks literally everything...

This year SFMM marketing has been on people's* cases to not say anything and I honestly believe it's a bit more fun when an announcement happens that you don't expect.

*People as in department managers and certain full time employees who would otherwise pass along relevant information to other employees to start prepping for the addition.

I did notice that interestingly Zamperla changed the design of the arm itself for this one, on all the other instances of the Giant Discovery the arm is a constant width tube but this one has that HUSS-style tapering box structure

Cause this one is bigger than the other models

Holy mother of God!

Yeah, that's a NOPE from me!! (Mainly because these rides will make me vomit every where!) But also because... Yeah, that's ridiculously tall looking!

However, it looks really impressive, and I'm sure it will be a great hit for the park!

Here are two youtube videos of testing

i'm curious how long the ride cycle will be. obviously they're just testing, but it does seem like it takes a long ass time to get to full height, then come down from it. i'm a big fan of these, but if the length is long, it might get kind of monotonous.

And here is the distance from the worst area of gravel parking to the main entrance gate of Six Flags M.M.

I traveled the main exit road from gravel and this was not on Feedmill.

If you walked or traveled the tram (ya right) it might have been a hair shorter but over all gives you idea that Hilton Hotel is closer and also means that parking on service road by Wendy's is also a good deal. Also seems elevation change from crosswalk area of parking lot to main gate is about 24 foot elevation change walking up hill from parking lot.

graveltomain.thumb.jpg.d652d08e75f568af663f346e0ec05d75.jpg

Guys, thank you very much for your help! We are there for two days, I guess we'll test the walking on the first day (we hike a lot so maybe doable) and if it's too much we just take an Uber or something from there or like on of you guys said the shuttle... I'm soooooo looking forward, two months to go!

I arrived yesterday - Sunday around 2 after driving in from Phoenix. It was the busiest Sunday I've ever seen! I ended up parking in the overflow / gravel lot. Again, most of the first section of the lot is blocked for the premium parking now. I was between the 4 & 5 sign which is about 1/2 way in. People people everywhere... My fav Goliath was down most of the day. That's normally not the case. It seems it was getting stuck on the mid-course.

I hope today isn't so crazy, but I'll be there for early entry.

^ I can't tell if you're joking or not, but testing the swinging without spinning is pretty standard with these rides.

I didn't realize they could test the swinging separately, and not have it rotating.

I really haven't seen much testing of these rides at all.

Thanks for the info. My error. But I still think SwingZanity would have been a more 'catchy name' to it.

^ There's a video on line (I don't think it's posted here) of the ride also spinning in place without any swinging involved. So i believe all mechanical aspects need to be tested separately as well as together.

I do agree that the Zamperla model is more of a giant swing ride with some spinning involved, rather than the other way around. And for me that's a Godsend because the Huss model makes me sick.

Two hours? That's crazy for a weekday!

This park's operations have been noticeably bad lately - as in, worse than usual. When I was there Thursday, almost every coaster - with the exception of TC - was running with 3-minute dispatches. What should've been a 1/2-hour line on Tatsu took over an hour.

On Scream, they were waiting for trains to completely unload and all the riders to exit the gate before they would open the loading gates. At one point, the ride op zoned out and let the queue stay empty for about 10 seconds before he realized the ride attendants were staring at him and trying to signal him to open the gates.

That sucks. I hate slow ride ops and thought they sucked on every ride except TC last time we were there, I can't imagine standing there watching people wander aimlessly through the motions while they slowly dispatched every 3 minutes.

It's getting harder and harder to find decent workers for low-wage jobs, seems like everyone that wants to work right now can find a job so the pool of good candidates is really small.

I just got off at SFMM and it honestly doesn’t feel too crowded right now. Yesterday was another story though..

As I said in an earlier post. I found out Sunday's attendance was 19,000. That's incredible! Today was much better. Only the 3 lot was full. No overflow parking today. I think it's all due to "bring a friend free" promotion.