TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

VCXfreak . . . . wow, that's amazing, 24 years working at MM for that woman. When you worked there, what rides did you operate (coasters or flats)?

And yeah . . . if I had a mass ton of $$$, I wouldn't mind living near MM

The fight is inevitable, just look at what went on at CGA. The park was there long before their neighbors, but it didn't stop their neighbors from complaining and standing on their rooftops with decibel meters so they could go complain to the city and demand extra walls be added to roller coasters. I believe DLR added the tunnel to California Screamin' for the same reason despite DLR being there way before any neighbors.

I believe DLR added the tunnel to California Screamin' for the same reason despite DLR being there way before any neighbors.

To be fair to the property owners just south of DCA, that area was only a parking lot beforehand.

I also made it out to the park this week to take advantage of the non-existent crowds. It was my first time visiting this year with my new membership. They opened the member gate promptly at 10am and then let us into the park at 10:20am. I went straight for Fu11 Throttle like I usually do and got four quick rides in even though it was only running one train. I then went up the hill to X2 and managed six rides without leaving the station, which was pretty much all I could handle. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love X2 and it's one of the few rides that still scares me a bit each time I ride it, but it's not something I can marathon 10-20 times in a row.

I then moved on to Superman, which is definitely a ride I can marathon and managed 12 rides in just over an hour. I have never visited the park when it's been this dead and it was absolutely wonderful. I thought the ride ops were doing a great job getting the trains out despite the low crowds. They also allowed me to stay on rides when nobody was waiting in my row or to stay in the station for re-rides. I made my way around the park hitting up Tatsu, Goliath (still smooth and fun), Lex (no VR for me) and Twisted Colossus. TC was only running two trains and I only got 2 duels out of 12 total laps, but that was pretty decent considering two train ops. The station ops were doing their best to get people to hurry up so we could race.

I finally rode the retracked Apocalypse and I have to say that I'm a fan. It's nowhere near GhostRider smooth, but it's running better than it has in years. I managed four rides without getting off, where in the past Apocalypse has strictly been a one and done ride. These kids sitting behind me had ridden it 16 times in a row and were trying for 20, which I'm sure they were able to do. That corner of the park was an absolute ghost town.

It doesn't look like there has been much progress on the Crazanity site. There was no vertical construction to be seen and I didn't see any construction workers at all in that area. I'm sure it will go up fast but it's pretty disappointing that they won't have it ready to open by Memorial Day. Revolution was closed all day, so I don't know what's going on with it. And Green Lantern remains closed, but that's no loss as I refuse to ever ride it again.

Overall it was a fantastic day at the park and I managed to get in 46 total rides. If you have to chance to hit up the park before CA schools get out for the summer, I'd highly recommend it.

Final ride count:

FT 8

X2 6

Tatsu 2

Superman 12

Goliath 6

TC 6

Apoc 4

Lex 2

Edited by VegasBaby

I then went up the hill to X2 and managed six rides without leaving the station, which was pretty much all I could handle. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love X2 and it's one of the few rides that still scares me a bit each time I ride it, but it's not something I can marathon 10-20 times in a row.

10-20? As much as I love X2, with it being as rough as it is I usually don't ride it more than once a day, twice is pushing it. I accidentally did 3 during WCB and still don't know how I survived. (Accidentally = I decided to push my luck and ride a second time, then they gave us a pass-through the station)

I then went up the hill to X2 and managed six rides without leaving the station, which was pretty much all I could handle. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love X2 and it's one of the few rides that still scares me a bit each time I ride it, but it's not something I can marathon 10-20 times in a row.

10-20? As much as I love X2, with it being as rough as it is I usually don't ride it more than once a day, twice is pushing it. I accidentally did 3 during WCB and still don't know how I survived. (Accidentally = I decided to push my luck and ride a second time, then they gave us a pass-through the station)

My record for rides on X2 on one day is 9. I did 6 the last time I was at the park just this past Sunday. Sounds like the week is even that much better than Sundays. You basically have to avoid Saturdays, Holidays, and Fright Fest to avoid crowds.

I also made it out to the park this week to take advantage of the non-existent crowds.

I hope it stays like that until the end of the month when I visit for the first time!

LA schools get out on June 7th and Santa Clarita schools end on June 8th, so you should be good. However, there will be Grad Nights on May 17-18, 24-25, 31 and June 1st, so you may want to avoid those days if you can.

I echo your thoughts on X2. It's one of the few rides that still scares me after riding it countless times.

I haven't been to the park in a few weeks, but my last time there, I saw cement trucks pulling into the construction site right after park closing. They are making progress on CraZanity... slow, slow progress.

I finally rode the retracked Apocalypse and I have to say that I'm a fan. It's nowhere near GhostRider smooth, but it's running better than it has in years. I managed four rides without getting off, where in the past Apocalypse has strictly been a one and done ride. These kids sitting behind me had ridden it 16 times in a row and were trying for 20, which I'm sure they were able to do. That corner of the park was an absolute ghost town.

I'm with you. While I haven't been on it recently, it was surprisingly good after the first retracking around Halloween. I rode it at night for the Haunt, and it was actually an amazing experience--I nearly would have put it in my top rides in the park, ever. Seriously. I wouldn't have believed it myself had I not done it personally a few times. The only part that was bad at all was the final turn, but that's right at the end and slowing down anyway, so it didn't bother much.

That said, I'm hearing it's beginning to get rough again, so not sure what condition it's in currently. But based on your recent review, it may well still be holding up.

I also made it out to the park this week to take advantage of the non-existent crowds.

I hope it stays like that until the end of the month when I visit for the first time!

LA schools get out on June 7th and Santa Clarita schools end on June 8th, so you should be good. However, there will be Grad Nights on May 17-18, 24-25, 31 and June 1st, so you may want to avoid those days if you can.

Thanks for the advice, I think we'll aim for the 30th.

I can't either. It's the intensity and the high odds of getting knocked around by the second raven turn.

I echo your thoughts on X2. It's one of the few rides that still scares me after riding it countless times.

I haven't been to the park in a few weeks, but my last time there, I saw cement trucks pulling into the construction site right after park closing. They are making progress on CraZanity... slow, slow progress.

It would not surprise me if CraZAnity doesn't open until July at the earliest. Good thing it is new for 2018.

Random SFMM question - I saw a vlog of someone there today, and it seemed like you can only use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. Is there an option for leaving baggage in any of the stations, or is it all locker-only?

Thanks

Depends on the ride, some are more strict than others. X2 is storage container mandatory but has $1 lockers in the station. Tatsu isn't mandatory but should be. Empty your pockets before boarding Tatsu or it will empty them for you, trust me.

Random SFMM question - I saw a vlog of someone there today, and it seemed like you can only use fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo. Is there an option for leaving baggage in any of the stations, or is it all locker-only?

Thanks

Only X2 requires you to use l0ckers which are located in the station for $1 for up to 2 hrs single use. All the other rides either have cubbies in the station or let you leave your stuff on the exiting side of the station. I wouldn't put anything in a pocket while riding besides a park map unless you have zippered or well buttoned pockets. A couple of weeks ago I found a cell phone in my seat just before boarding Apocalypse and was able to notify the person leaving my row, but on certain other rides her phone would have fell out even being in her back pocket so she got lucky.