TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Serious question...what/where is the new boardwalk area?

Are you being sarcastic?

If not, it's the main midway area where all the carnival games are (Colossus County Fair). The new area includes a remodeled Johnny Rockets, in addition to Crazanity, Sandblasters, Tidal Wave and Scrambler.

^ I actually had a question somewhat related to that. Is there anything actually wrong/different about Green Lantern that makes it behave so much worse than its European cousins? Or is it only the crappy way it's run (and modifications due to being in California) that makes it so bad?

I've never been on it (or ridden a ZacSpin), but am curious if it's entirely the state and the park screwing the ride up.

I can't speak for the European versions, but being at a weird angle (or worse, upside down) when going through those transitions is not fun. It feels like a car crash with intense pressure on your head, like your soul is being ripped from your body. The S&S versions are slightly milder, but not by much. I think it's just the nature of the ride, and I'm not a fan of either brand.

Sometimes the ridiculous California laws can cause delays, and construction projects to become a major pain in the a$$ in general. Believe it or not, a lot of companies just straight-up avoid the state entirely because of it.

SeaWorld, which has extra requirements from being on the coast is opening their new ride two days earlier than originally announced. A good project manager will know all the regulations and work with them accordingly.

^ I actually had a question somewhat related to that. Is there anything actually wrong/different about Green Lantern that makes it behave so much worse than its European cousins? Or is it only the crappy way it's run (and modifications due to being in California) that makes it so bad?

I've never been on it (or ridden a ZacSpin), but am curious if it's entirely the state and the park screwing the ride up.

i think the fact that there are what, 4, in the whole world says a lot of how great a coaster it is. and also that there is a design for an updated version with seating like the free flys out there.

I'm curious does anyone know why Ninja constantly operates two trains on slow weekdays, where all the other coasters except TC and sometimes X2 operate with just one?

Because you don't earn yourself a black belt by being lazy and doing the bare minimum. Being the black belt of coasters is hard work that requires constant focus, hard work, discipline, maximum efficiency and effort at all times.

It is a cause, a cross to bear, a responsibility, and an obligation. The black belt of coasters title is a banner that advertises that the wearer is committed to serving the needs of others.

One day you'll understand, grasshopper...

Edited by coasterbill
  • Like 1

I feel like Green Lantern will end up at SFA eventually

Let's hope so. I'd rather have KBF's old Boomerang, TBH.

I was at the park last week, and they were again working on GL on several days. Lots of grinding on the track from a high lift. Not sure what they're up to. I really don't care much since it's one of the few rides at the park I won't ride. I rode it twice when it was new. Once facing forward and once backwards. I didn't enjoy either, hence the name I call it - "The Grunt Lantern."

I'm curious does anyone know why Ninja constantly operates two trains on slow weekdays, where all the other coasters except TC and sometimes X2 operate with just one?

Because you don't earn yourself a black belt by being lazy and doing the bare minimum. Being the black belt of coasters is hard work that requires constant focus, hard work, discipline, maximum efficiency and effort at all times.

It is a cause, a cross to bear, a responsibility, and an obligation. The black belt of coasters title is a banner that advertises that the wearer is committed to serving the needs of others.

One day you'll understand, grasshopper...

This reminds me of an old VHS tape that we got from Magic Mountain around 1990 that I used to watch all the time as a kid.

Granted, I've only been there once on a slow weekday, but usually during the off season, I'd still notice that mostly Viper, Revolution, Ninja, and Goldrusher would still run two trains (TC often 3), and often so would Batman, Apocalypse, Riddler, Goliath, X2, Scream, FT, and Tatsu (though not always). That's actually a decent chunk of their major coasters.

I can imagine on these slow off season weekdays, many would drop to one train... but if the station/train isn't anywhere near full, why should they continuously cycle 2 empty trains? For once, I wouldn't blame them.

I feel like Green Lantern will end up at SFA eventually

Let's hope so. I'd rather have KBF's old Boomerang, TBH.

Why would you wish that pain upon me. That need to sent that turd to SFSTL so they can get their long awaited Intamin Steel Coaster.

The S&S Free Spins are definitely much better rides than the Intamin ZacSpins. I'm guessing that's why so many parks are getting the S&S models.

This style of ride is still just an "okay" ride concept. Neither version is going to crack many people's favorites list.

The S&S Free Spins are definitely much better rides than the Intamin ZacSpins. I'm guessing that's why so many parks are getting the S&S models.

This style of ride is still just an "okay" ride concept. Neither version is going to crack many people's favorites list.

Actually, while I can't speak from personal experience, I've heard from multiple sources that Insane at Gronu Lund (a clone of Green Lantern) is quite a fun ride, and a massive improvement over Green lantern (despite Insane coming first and GL being a clone of Insane). Apparently whatever Grona Lund does when running Insane is much better than what SFMM's been doing to GL. It even breaks incrediblecoaster's (username "XII" on TPR) top ten steel list http://www.incrediblecoasters.com/Top10SteelCoasters.html.

Actually, while I can't speak from personal experience, I've heard from multiple sources that Insane at Gronu Lund (a clone of Green Lantern) is quite a fun ride, and a massive improvement over Green lantern (despite Insane coming first and GL being a clone of Insane). Apparently whatever Grona Lund does when running Insane is much better than what SFMM's been doing to GL. It even breaks incrediblecoaster's (username "XII" on TPR) top ten steel list http://www.incrediblecoasters.com/Top10SteelCoasters.html.

I was speaking more about the S&S versions (since there are more of them). How many people rank those rides highly? Sure they are fun, but beyond that they are barely talked about...by anyone. I know that people love Insane, but unfortunately it seems that ride will remain sort of an anomaly, as the one here sucks, and no one is iching to build another one. So the S&S versions are far more relevant.

Most of the time coasters don’t have to be cracking people’s top 10, nor they are trying to do so. While I’m one of the 3 people in the world that prefer Intamin ZacSpin over the S&S model, I do like how on the S&S you can adjust your own flip. When the GP figure that out, the ride would have a high re-ride value. I can see more GP re-riding an S&S Free Spin than say El Toro or Sky Rush. Plus these rides are super cheap and requires less maintenance.