TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

While I am doubtful I can see them doing this. The park has been trying to dip into the Disney/ tourist crowds the past few years as the thrilling park. A large investment coaster would logically be the next step. I hope the park doesn't remove roaring rapids as it draws crowds and a water ride in the desert is always nice. @intamin make more efficient water pumps!

Interestingly, when we were at the park on 19 March this year, Roaring Rapids was actually open. This was the first time ever in all our visits (all roughly around the same time - this was our 4th since 2012), this ride was never open.

So of course, we had to take the chance and ride it. Well, I don't think I've ever been so soaked on a rapids ride like this in all my life. The "boat" ended up with about 6 inches of water in the bottom of it, at least ankle deep. Was funny at the time (apart from having to walk around the rest of the day in wet socks).

But I was a little disappointed in how short it was. I was under the impression it was a longer ride.

Interestingly, when we were at the park on 19 March this year, Roaring Rapids was actually open. This was the first time ever in all our visits (all roughly around the same time - this was our 4th since 2012), this ride was never open.

So of course, we had to take the chance and ride it. Well, I don't think I've ever been so soaked on a rapids ride like this in all my life. The "boat" ended up with about 6 inches of water in the bottom of it, at least ankle deep. Was funny at the time (apart from having to walk around the rest of the day in wet socks).

But I was a little disappointed in how short it was. I was under the impression it was a longer ride.

It's not a great rapids ride, that's for sure, and you do get incredibly soaked. There are much better rapids rides down the road at Knott's and DCA. I really don't think anyone would miss it, especially if they built a major coaster in its place. It's just too bad that they removed Log Jammer instead of Jet Stream when they built Fu11 Throttle, as Log Jammer was a superior flume ride IMO.

I mean, with Star Wars opening, Magic Mountains gotta do something to counter it, right?

No

I think this is our last hope for airtime giga madness

Six Flags has stated multiple times on conference calls that they have no intention of adding to their current level of CapEX spending (percentage-wise), and in fact they hope to reduce it. You're not getting a Giga coaster. Also, how is it your "last hope"?

send goliath to another park

giphy.gif

I remember when Roaring Rapids first opened, before they put up the wood barriers by the waterfall on the last turn. Our raft drifted under the waterfall and got stuck for several minutes bobbing there, soaking all of us, while three other rafts passed us by. I can't even remember how we got loose and back on course. Sure was funny, tho.

I mean, with Star Wars opening, Magic Mountains gotta do something to counter it, right?

No

I think this is our last hope for airtime giga madness

Six Flags has stated multiple times on conference calls that they have no intention of adding to their current level of CapEX spending (percentage-wise), and in fact they hope to reduce it. You're not getting a Giga coaster. Also, how is it your "last hope"?

send goliath to another park

giphy.gif[

A few years ago six flags also said MM or GA would probably get a giga in the next few years. I say last hope because where else would one go....they already said they have no intention of removing Viper, the either have to get very creative or do slot of excavating that would probably double the cost but you're probably right, So-cal....no California will never have a giga

When it comes to expansion...the market will dictate what they get. If they can sell the same amount of memberships and passes with something more modest, you can bet they'll stick with that plan. If they need more to stay competitive? They'll go bigger.

The beauty of the current state of the industry is that you don't NEED a giga as a marketing gimmick. There are so many cool ride systems available now that can still get you records/hype without just being tall.

A few years ago six flags also said MM or GA would probably get a giga in the next few years.

Umm, source?

IIRC it was stated at a Q and A around the time Twisted Colossus was opening. If I remember the quote correctly it was more hypothetical, more along the lines of SFMM, SFGam, and SFNE being able to see a return on a ride of that caliber....

A few years ago six flags also said MM or GA would probably get a giga in the next few years.

Umm, source?

i can vouch that it was also stated at JL:BfM media day. They have their eyes set on one, just a matter of when.

It'll happen when Six Flags stops marketing Super Loops as roller coasters.

Viper is indeed not going anywhere, at least this year. It's actually going down late summer (around August) to get a complete systems redo. Granted this project was slated for early summer but Revolution will be going down for a bit soon to do some major unplanned lift work and they decided to stagger the projects. Add that to Apocalypse and the back of the park being closed; it's going to be an interesting summer crowds wise.

As to Six Flags needing to have something big next year as a reaction to Star Wars? While that might be a tiny bit of the consideration, take a step back and realize that these parks are on the opposite sides of Los Angeles, serve different markets and demographics, and have different strategies for capital expansion. That's not to say that Six Flags isn't going to 'counter program' per-say, but next year's big capex is more of a result of their large capital, small capital philosophy that may or may not be a bit bigger than previous years.

Viper, Revolution, and Apocalypse are some of the least popular coasters in the park - often with station waits, except on really crowded days, so for the most part, I don't think their downtime will have too much of an impact on the rest of the park.

That being said, I really enjoy all three of them, so I guess I'd better get my rides in before summer.

Viper, Revolution, and Apocalypse are some of the least popular coasters in the park - often with station waits, except on really crowded days, so for the most part, I don't think their downtime will have too much of an impact on the rest of the park.

That being said, I really enjoy all three of them, so I guess I'd better get my rides in before summer.

Actually, the last few times I've been in the park, TNR has had more than a station wait, often going over the bridge or down the hill, even on relatively slow days. I think it's gained some popularity with the removal of the OTS.

I went to the park recently and the new boardwalk area looked really good. I like the direction this park is going. They were also painting some other stuff too.

No vertical construction yet on Crappy Name: the Ride but 'tevs, I'm not all that hot for the ride anyway.

What I'm more interested is whether not they're gonna install a web cam for their next big project. That'd be nice.