TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Quick update on the state of the virtual reality on Lex Luthor as of 4/3. The addition has definitely resulted in the popularity boost they wanted, with lines nearing the door in the queue house, but not without a noticeable impact on the dispatch times. The VR has better graphics and definitely feels much more well implemented on Lex Luthor, but the text boxes are hilariously out of place and the idea of obscuring the amazing views on a drop tower as tall as this one is amazingly stupid. The worst part about it is the shape that the headsets are in. They are the same ones as were used on The New Revolution, and there clearly has been minimal changes since TNR closed. I was the first rider of the day, using the still honored gold pass early entry to score a ride before the queues got ungodly long, so I was amazed by what I saw when they handed me the VR headset. The interior of it was encrusted with dirt and grime, with the stitching on the padding coming loose with hair and lint stuck on the exposed adhesive. I usually take the "Well, its Six Flags what can you do" mentality when it comes to these things but this disregard for cleanliness takes it a step too far. I asked for another headset and they obliged, but it was only marginally better than the first. This really shows that they aren't even investing in wet wipes to clean the VR, and are simply using them as a quick head-turner before the summer season and heavier crowds come.

[attachment=0]image1.jpeg[/attachment]

They were like that a year ago. It was obvious that they only clean the parts that make direct contact with your face and not the whole unit.

The rumor mill is really heating up and it now sounds like there might be some building demolition in Cyclone Bay as early as April. Roaring Rapids might be in the line of fire for this ride as well. Whatever the 2019 project is, it sounds big. Like ginormous investment going around the park big. They might even start work on 2019 before the 2018 project is even done!

Has anyone else heard anything about these rumors getting closer to become true?

The rumor mill is really heating up and it now sounds like there might be some building demolition in Cyclone Bay as early as April. Roaring Rapids might be in the line of fire for this ride as well. Whatever the 2019 project is, it sounds big. Like ginormous investment going around the park big. They might even start work on 2019 before the 2018 project is even done!

Has anyone else heard anything about these rumors getting closer to become true?

I'm not 'anyone else' but April was a floated date however now it sounds like the plan is to close Apocalypse and the rest of Cyclone Bay on June 1st. No, they aren't demoing Apocalypse, but the entire area is going to be closed so get your rides in beforehand!

I'm not 'anyone else' but April was a floated date however now it sounds like the plan is to close Apocalypse and the rest of Cyclone Bay on June 1st. No, they aren't demoing Apocalypse, but the entire area is going to be closed so get your rides in beforehand!

That's interesting news. Will Cyclone 500 and Dive Devil be included in the closure of Cyclone Bay? Can you say what will demoed?

Would SFMM try and float a tease and tell people to get their last rides in (like they did before the RMC refresh) so they can get more people thru the gates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were like that a year ago. It was obvious that they only clean the parts that make direct contact with your face and not the whole unit.

Well nobody ever really posted a picture of the actual VR units after they've been used, and looking at that picture there's no way in hell I'm putting that gross thing on my face. If they threw them through a wash like say Star Tours I'd be down, but that's gonna be a nope for me, dawg.

Losing Roaring Rapids would SUCK as it brings them down to 2, but really just 1 water coaster I'd want to go on because I'm over the getting soaked on Tidal Wave. Pains me to say it but that's gotta be a HUGE power bill running all that water on Roaring Rapids all the time, and to add Roaring Rapids is just "kinda" fun and closed whenever I have visited. It would be great if they would eventually bring an up to date Rapids ride, something like the one at California Adventure.

Whatever is going to be going down in that back of the corner sounds to be HUGE, I would love if it was a launcher or one of the bigger MACK coasters that have been installed around the world.

Losing Roaring Rapids would SUCK as it brings them down to 2, but really just 1 water coaster I'd want to go on because I'm over the getting soaked on Tidal Wave. Pains me to say it but that's gotta be a HUGE power bill running all that water on Roaring Rapids all the time, and to add Roaring Rapids is just "kinda" fun and closed whenever I have visited. It would be great if they would eventually bring an up to date Rapids ride, something like the one at California Adventure.

Fun fact, Roaring Rapids has the highest power consumption of any ride in the park.

Whatever is going to be going down in that back of the corner sounds to be HUGE, I would love if it was a launcher or one of the bigger MACK coasters that have been installed around the world.

Even though I'm not big on water rides (loved Log Jammer though) it would be kind of sad to see Roarin Rapids go. Only two really mediocre water rides left, though understandable if the costs to maintain it aren't worth it anymore.

I know it's a long shot but a Giga is really what the park needs, the only thing really missing in the arsenal. A dive coaster seems kinda meh for a park like SFMM in 2019-2020.

I was wondering if/when someone would bring up the survey, and in what thread. I got that survey too, and I'm a SFDK passholder. I didn't piece it together as a Superman alteration, but when I first saw the video and some of the questions, I couldn't help but think that Six Flags might be attempting to break their own height and speed record. I might be in the minority, but I'm into that kind of thing so I'd be totally down to see a taller, faster, and longer version of Kingda Ka.

There were also several questions related to what I prefer in ride elements such as "weightlessness" vs. "twisty track" vs. inversions. Also wood vs. steel vs. hybrid and dueling coasters vs. single, level of theming, speed, and height. It was an overall interesting survey.

Also, interesting to hear about the possibility of big plans for 2019. Would be exciting to see Magic Mountain get something really note-worthy (and trip-worthy) again.

Power is energy per unit of time. When Superman is launching, it perhaps uses more energy during those few seconds. However, how often does it launch? The rapids ride is going all day. I absolutely could believe that it uses more energy.

I'm surprised Roaring Rapids didn't come out years ago. I'd heard way back when I used to work there how terribly expensive that ride was to run, and it's just not that great a water ride (too dingy and soaking). The park absolutely needs a water ride, but there are some modern rides out there that are more fun while being more energy efficient.

If it comes out (or is heavily modified) for a steel coaster, I won't shed a tear.

I'm surprised Roaring Rapids didn't come out years ago. I'd heard way back when I used to work there how terribly expensive that ride was to run, and it's just not that great a water ride (too dingy and soaking). The park absolutely needs a water ride, but there are some modern rides out there that are more fun while being more energy efficient.

If it comes out (or is heavily modified) for a steel coaster, I won't shed a tear.

B&M Giga with a splashdown effect where non riders can get as wet, or not, as they'd like.

I know it's a long shot but a Giga is really what the park needs, the only thing really missing in the arsenal. A dive coaster seems kinda meh for a park like SFMM in 2019-2020.

I couldn’t agree more, a Giga like Fury would be huge for the park. I love B&M dive coasters, but a giga would be a better fit for the park. I also think it would be a lot more marketable, especially since Knott’s is opening their own version of a dive coaster next month.

I'd be legitimately surprised if Magic Mountain announced a hyper/giga/strata that's more than a single hill. It's been over a decade since they've made a Tatsu-sized investment for a single attraction, and they don't seem to be struggling at the moment.

I’m not going to get my hopes too high for this one. Remember when everybody was freaking out over SFMM’s 2013 investment, and it ended up being a “good but not GREAT” ride?

Not trying to sound negative, but I just can’t see the park investing in a huge $30 million giga coaster, as awesome as that would be for the park and SoCal.

In spite of all the signs pointing toward "no, probably not," I'm gonna hold out hope for a massive investment. I mean, with Star Wars opening, Magic Mountains gotta do something to counter it, right?

My hope is that's its loud and skirts the perimeter of the park just to piss off the new neighbors.