TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

People aren't buying tickets to see a nice view.

Call me cynical, but when a ride is advertised as a 400' drop tower, part of the experience is seeing the park and surrounding areas from 400' up and freaking the hell out that you're up so high since you're about to plummet at any second. I'm sure this will add a unique quirk to the ride for a bit, but it takes away from one of the primary aspects that make drop towers thrilling. I wish VR would just go away already, it seems to have about run it's course.

Just thinking about having the headset on while climbing i'm already getting nauseous. What is there to view and shoot the ride is 3 seconds long. Going to double the wait time to have VR on the shortest ride at the park lol. I can see at other parks to make it something better to look at than trees or at a small park but there is so much to view at MM since it is so big. The best part is the climb going up and thinking we are still going up? and the view on the top. Oh well they got to make money. Why not put it on Gold Rusher or maybe Ninja.

Call me cynical, but when a ride is advertised as a 400' drop tower, part of the experience is seeing the park and surrounding areas from 400' up and freaking the hell out that you're up so high since you're about to plummet at any second. I'm sure this will add a unique quirk to the ride for a bit, but it takes away from one of the primary aspects that make drop towers thrilling. I wish VR would just go away already, it seems to have about run it's course.

My point is that Drop of Doom has run its course. People aren't buying tickets to see a view because it's not something that drives attendance anymore. Being able to re-market a ride as a 'new' experience will always get at least a few people from the gate.

But I totally get it, that's why I like tall drop towers too because you are so high up it feels crazy and VR absolutely takes away from that. But the VR is a 'new, marketable experience' and the park is a business and this is a solid business move to drum up new attention to an 'old' ride.

My point is that Drop of Doom has run its course. People aren't buying tickets to see a view because it's not something that drives attendance anymore. Being able to re-market a ride as a 'new' experience will always get at least a few people from the gate.

But I totally get it, that's why I like tall drop towers too because you are so high up it feels crazy and VR absolutely takes away from that. But the VR is a 'new, marketable experience' and the park is a business and this is a solid business move to drum up new attention to an 'old' ride.

i think it's a band aid since the new ride probably won't open until july. there are like 15 roller coasters at sfmm that have run their course.

It definitely makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Though I do think SFMM could still market the height aspect successfully without VR if they did it right. In my opinion, a 400' ride in a park whose niche is extreme thrills shouldn't need a gimmick to boost marketability.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

^ I see it more like the Batman Backwards deal. It's an low cost gimmick aimed at local spring break teens who have already ridden Drop Of Doom 200 times. They're not losing the experience as they've already done it. This will be a new way to temporarily attract them back to the ride.

At least this one keeps with the DC theme

i think it's a band aid since the new ride probably won't open until july. there are like 15 roller coasters at sfmm that have run their course.

Yeah, it seems like it's going to be summer by the time Crazanity opens. I don't understand why SFMM's 2018 ride is so behind compared to SFOT, SFDK and KBF. Their new coasters are already testing.

^ I'm not sure why this is still a surprise to people. SFMM opens their new rides in May. Seems it's done intentionally to push a late spring boost in attendance.

Whether it’s delays or by design, Memorial Day weekend is always a popular time for any park to open a ride, so it’s generally worked out.

Edited by Jew

Why not put it on Gold Rusher or maybe Ninja.

Don't go giving them any ideas!

I still think the best place for "a hi-tech, thrilling, VR experience" is on the ground (restrooms, parking lot etc.) If it must go on a ride, stick it on Green Lantern or the Go-Karts or something.

My suggestion is to use the cell phone screen system as an excuse to reopen the SBNO sky tower. It's been a few years now but I found that one of the scarier rides in the park. Six Flags could have some silly animation show to attract ridership and the tower would be open for viewers again. Some comic book character could be used to give the tower a new name.

I'm wondering what this VR addition will do the Single Rider line. TNR got rid of theirs when VR appeared on it. Will this be the same?

Well, Revolution's single-ride line became increasingly popular soon after VR was introduced, so SFMM shut it down seemingly in response. I'm guessing they'll do the same with LL. A packed queue connotes "success" — even at the expense of guest satisfaction. The LL queue building is often empty, and I think there are some comic book characters or robots inside there that are being overlooked.

I still think the best place for "a hi-tech, thrilling, VR experience" is on the ground (restrooms, parking lot etc.) If it must go on a ride, stick it on Green Lantern or the Go-Karts or something.

Green Lantern? Are you trying to kill people? That's about the only coaster worse to put it on than Kong. I'd rather nix VR altogether, but if it has to be on something, Lex Luthor isnt bad. I've heard that it's effect on dispatches so far has been minimal, and there's still the option to ride without it. All things considered I think this was a pretty smart move by MM. They've quietly had a lot of those lately. The only real "typical MM" thing has been the delay on CraZanity construction.

I'm wondering what this VR addition will do the Single Rider line. TNR got rid of theirs when VR appeared on it. Will this be the same?
I was wondering the same thing, and from the photo I saw of LL running with VR, it looks like they had the VR stuff set up where the SRL usually is, so it appears it may be temporarily out. No biggie, I haven't needed the SRL my last few visits anyway.
My suggestion is to use the cell phone screen system as an excuse to reopen the SBNO sky tower. It's been a few years now but I found that one of the scarier rides in the park. Six Flags could have some silly animation show to attract ridership and the tower would be open for viewers again. Some comic book character could be used to give the tower a new name.
They can't. It's not closed because of unpopularity, the elevators are reportedly out of code, and the park can't find anyone who's willing to renovate them at a cost they're willing to pay. They said Intamin, who originally built it, no longer has the ability to help, and anyone who does wants more than they want to pay. I'm not sure it will ever reopen.

Green Lantern? Are you trying to kill people?

Well, I was thinking while it's out of service. Putting VR on a non-functioning attraction seems far more favorable than ruining a functioning one But no, Green Lantern is so atrocious that it couldn't possibly be made any worse by adding a pink-eye delivery system.

I could understand them doing that in years prior before they went to 365 day operations. But now they need something to push their attendance earlier in the year.

Year-round parks are generally in no hurry to get things open before summer. I mean BGT, SWO, Universal and even Disney don't seem to rush such things. I don't ever see MM changing the way Six Flags usual ride opening schedule. The only difference I have noticed this year as far as Six Flags go is them trying to get Wonder Woman ASAP so they can claim we had it first.

OH and they are currently pushing for more attendance with the Drop Of Doom VR before the real new ride opens....lol

I still think the best place for "a hi-tech, thrilling, VR experience" is on the ground (restrooms, parking lot etc.)

If SFMM's food ops are anything like SFGAm's, they ought to just hand them out as you enter the thrilling 45 minute beer line.

They can't. It's not closed because of unpopularity, the elevators are reportedly out of code, and the park can't find anyone who's willing to renovate them at a cost they're willing to pay. They said Intamin, who originally built it, no longer has the ability to help, and anyone who does wants more than they want to pay. I'm not sure it will ever reopen.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic ...

Unless someone figures a way to turn their elevators into a drop ride, I agree that the tower seems to be toast. But tearing it down would be pricy. Maybe they're just waiting for an earthquake to remove it.

I much prefer the steampunk art around Twisted Colossus to the comic book stuff.

I'm interested in knowing which GP Guests single handedly visited Magic Mountain specifically to ride Lex Luther since it opened.

I'm more of the opinion, like Spinsanity when it opens, that it was one of those attractions very few people heard or cared about, and just decided to "ride" it once they were walking around and saw it as an available attraction at the park. Of course this is after they decided to go with their friends to ride Goliath. So in that retrospect, adding VR is not going to "breathe new life into an old attraction" it's just making the line longer for an attraction people only see once they get to the park.

The LL queue building is often empty, and I think there are some comic book characters or robots inside there that are being overlooked.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever waited in the LL queue! I think I looked inside once, saw the line and the Lex Luther statue, then me and my buddies did the SRL and got on in 5 minutes.

I'm interested in knowing which GP Guests single handedly visited Magic Mountain specifically to ride Lex Luther since it opened.

I'm more of the opinion, like Spinsanity when it opens, that it was one of those attractions very few people heard or cared about, and just decided to "ride" it once they were walking around and saw it as an available attraction at the park. Of course this is after they decided to go with their friends to ride Goliath. So in that retrospect, adding VR is not going to "breathe new life into an old attraction" it's just making the line longer for an attraction people only see once they get to the park.

The LL queue building is often empty, and I think there are some comic book characters or robots inside there that are being overlooked.

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever waited in the LL queue! I think I looked inside once, saw the line and the Lex Luther statue, then me and my buddies did the SRL and got on in 5 minutes.

I mean, it is advertised on the website, and it's the reason I'm headed to the park today so...

On busy days, LL's queue room will fill up a bit, but on regular days, there's nobody in there — not even staff. My unscientific analysis (which may or may not be rooted to my own anxiety) is that the ride's high-intimidation factor outweighs its fun, keeping people from riding it as consistently as they would ride something like Goliath. I've overheard several people mention that they've ridden everything except that one, and I also know several SFMM fans who have never ridden it — and probably never will. I think there are folks around here who don't go near drop towers too, right? Are there any drop towers in the US that do consistently draw a crowd (aside from stuff like Tower of Terror — or whatever it's called these days). As the result, I'm not sure that "further intensifying" the ride and advertising it as a new experience will bring more people in, but time will tell.