TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Well I was partly teasing you, but sure I'd like to see some of the same things...but let's face it, even if that does happen, you're not getting ANY of that stuff without also adding big rides to appease the park's demo, as well as stockholders. And the big rides are going to always be the larger priority.

Unless SFMM winds up in the hands of a more competent operator with wads of disposable cash.

I no longer have time for all that. I'm going for the big rides, and going home.

I certainly don't need a giga, I feel super tall coasters, with the possible exception of Millenium Force, are pretty overrated.

Fury and I305 would like a word with you

I will give you those two. My remarks are mostly in response to numerous people on this board who think a giga is the answer to all their dreams. It's not necessarily.

And while TC is a bit of a "bucking bronco" style, it does suffer from a massive buzz kill right in the middle of the ride just when things get going called "the second lift hill". While I enjoy the ride as a whole, what I'd really like to see is a ride with crazy laterals, length, and virtual non-stop action/no brake run. On that front, El Toro and Maverick deliver. And I'll grant Fury and I305 do as well, though I like the fact the other two can do it without the height, which make them even more surprising.

Let's think about which rides at SFMM are the longest in terms of not having a massive brake or lift hill in the middle. Going off memory, Tatsu, X2, Riddler, Apocalypse, Ninja, Scream, and sort of Revolution. Fine rides, mostly, but nothing in comparison to non-stop, WTF is going on, rides given by Maverick or El Toro (Tatsu and X2 being the closest--but they're both gimmicky--with Apocalypse maybe in the running if it was actually smooth again).

Maverick literally hits a brake run and comes to a nearly complete stop right in the middle of the ride...lol

And while TC is a bit of a "bucking bronco" style, it does suffer from a massive buzz kill right in the middle of the ride just when things get going called "the second lift hill". While I enjoy the ride as a whole, what I'd really like to see is a ride with crazy laterals, length, and virtual non-stop action/no brake run. On that front, El Toro and Maverick deliver. And I'll grant Fury and I305 do as well, though I like the fact the other two can do it without the height, which make them even more surprising.

If Twisted Colossus came to a complete stop and failed to regain it's intensity, I'd be bummed out. But it stops and lets you experience the insane first drop again and a whole new mix of crazy airtime hills. I know the lift hill in the middle of the ride isn't for anyone, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

I know I’m gonna get a lot of hate for this but if you want quality experience go to Disneyland. If you want crazy fast rides and a lot of them go to Magic Mountain. Additionally I’m sure they would be willing to give you the same level of quality if they charged the same amount for annual passes as Disneyland. It is one of the best applications of the phrase “you get what you pay for.” I do think the premium level memberships are a step in the right direction though to offer a better experience for those that are willing to pay more without driving away or crowding out the value-oriented guests.

Totally agree!

I go to SFMM frequently because it's dirt cheap and they have awesome coasters. If I want anything more, I'm glad Knott's and Disney are nearby.

I've expressed the same exact feelings. Only helps that they've been improving the park & their older coasters while remaining cheap as hell. I literally could not ask much more from this park while asking them to remain at their current price.

^If the season pass was twice as expensive, it would still be relatively cheap and they would perhaps be able to clean up some garbage, run and maintain rides betters. And improve training... just a thought.

A Cedar Fair top pass is about $200 and look at the quality of those parks. If you visit once a month, that's like $16 a visit. Probably the cost of going to a movie and getting a large soda.

^ Six Flags has a totally different business model then Cedar Fair unfortunately.

It would be interesting to see how SF would pull off a $200 season pass price while guests used to the cheap price sit around waiting for them to clean up their parks. That's a lot of good will to ask from your guests.

Honestly, I like SFMM's current approach of going a section at a time, giving areas upgrades. Who ever came up with that deserves a promotion...oh wait.

If Neal (Thurman) runs the park even half of the way his mentor did, I think we'll see some improvement across the board.

^If the season pass was twice as expensive, it would still be relatively cheap and they would perhaps be able to clean up some garbage, run and maintain rides betters. And improve training... just a thought.

A Cedar Fair top pass is about $200 and look at the quality of those parks. If you visit once a month, that's like $16 a visit. Probably the cost of going to a movie and getting a large soda.

I agree. But to be fair, I don't think I would buy at all if it were twice as much. I'm a full-time college student and full-time employee who doesn't make much and yet I make more than my friends. It's actually specifically why the reason I have a Sixflags pass this year as opposed to Cedar Fair.

Cedar Fair is a bit different, well at least Knotts is. You have plenty to do there for families & I'm not sure if SFMM can compete with that market. They are known for coasters, which obviously attract tweens to coaster-loving adults and families who can't afford the Disney/Cedar Fair option. From where I live, many people only can afford to go to Disney every few years or get a cheap Cedar Fair pass specifically in their area (for me that would be Great America). But no one ever has a problem going to Sixflags. So to suggest for the pass to be twice as much will definitely be great for the park, but I think they would price out their main customers. I would love for them to be charge more for it to be a better park, but then my stomach just dropped cause the thought of it means I probably will not be able to go or take my friends, which I was recently able to convince some friends to do in January thanks to the cheap pricing. I'm just glad I have options between parks, as when I have a good year I definitely get that Cedar Fair pass.

I totally agree with the statement that Six Flags can increase their Season Pass pricing dramatically! I say that as both a stock holder and gold pass guest. They maybe doing this with the coming change in the Gold Pass / new Membership program. The details haven't been released yet. Stay tuned, it's coming soon. Also I'm a fan of the new president Neil Thurman. I think he'll do good things. You already see him walking the park with a "garbage stick."

I totally agree with the statement that Six Flags can increase their Season Pass pricing dramatically! I say that as both a stock holder and gold pass guest. They maybe doing this with the coming change in the Gold Pass / new Membership program. The details haven't been released yet. Stay tuned, it's coming soon. Also I'm a fan of the new president Neil Thurman. I think he'll do good things. You already see him walking the park with a "garbage stick."

As a stock holder and pass holder too, I have always wanted them to raise the price. I have mention several ways to bring in money and reinvest in the park. Making it the way it was in the 80's. It seems like a far shot but it can be done. Listen to us people who invest and get some ideas.

lets not always aim for the biggest baddest kick A$$ coaster. Their are some great small coasters that are more reasonable. Also lets get the flats in this park. I have always said turn Colossus County Fair into a fair atmosphere with rides like, Falling Star, Zipper, Sky Wheel, Sky Diver etc etc!

This park can be GREAT!

^ Yeah. Let's just get Crazanity built before we worry about what's next. By the way what's up with that name?

I wish they would start going vertical already with this ride. I can't wait to ride it. I wonder if they are waiting until Scrambler, Sandblasters and the Boardwalk areas are all remodeled first before continuing with Crazanity?

Insane at Grona Lund doesn't have trim brakes and is a whole lot more comfortable. It felt like the one at Grona Lund was allowed to rock more so the drops and forces were more comfortable.

I wish they could just set Green Lantern to rock like Insane. Then it'd actually be intense and mostly comfortable.

^ Yeah. Let's just get Crazanity built before we worry about what's next. By the way what's up with that name?

I wish they would start going vertical already with this ride. I can't wait to ride it. I wonder if they are waiting until Scrambler, Sandblasters and the Boardwalk areas are all remodeled first before continuing with Crazanity?

I'd imagine that they just don't have the pieces yet. They'll probably wait to lay the foundation whenever they have the pieces.

Some work being done on Green Lantern. Some speculations floating around that they may be adding trim brakes on the drops.

Why would they add trim brakes?

To honor Mean Streak #RIP

Just kidding, Magic Mountain probably wants to either neuter the ride in an attempt to make it more comfortable (without inducing flips) or to reduce stress on the structure to lower maintenance costs. I rode GL in May of last year and I can see why so many people hate it. I personally thought it was so bad it was hilarious.