TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Of the B&Ms, I loved Tatsu and BTR - it's amazing how smooth and well BTR runs. I wasn't feeling RR, but it wasn't rough at all, like other stand ups, and it's very photogenic with its new paint. Scream had a gnarly rattle. I'm guessing the issue is with the trains, and not the track, and that it can be fixed. But that combined with it being a parking lot coaster made it very unenjoyable.

Scream just got upgraded trains a few months ago. What you experienced is improved from what it was before. Prior, IMO it was one of the roughest B&M out there.

Scream isn’t rough. It just isn’t. I find it to be one of the smoothest coasters in the park, next to FT. Never had an issue there. However, Riddler’s Revenge is horrible. So much head bashing through the whole ride, my ears are in pain when I get off. Not a bad stand up, but I actually prefer Georgia Scorcher haha.

Scream just got upgraded trains a few months ago. What you experienced is improved from what it was before. Prior, IMO it was one of the roughest B&M out there.

I rode Scream about 2 weeks ago in the front outer left seat and can confirm that it’s still extremely rough. Like I’m talking Viper rough....

X2. Ugh. I have such positive memories from riding it in its opening year, and then later in 07. Today it beat me up good. I hated it. Could it have been my seat? Sat in the front outside left side.

Yes, it was probably your seat...

The problem was that your seat was connected to an X2 train, that's why you had a sh*tty ride. Next time try riding in a seat and row that's connected to a Tatsu, Ninja or Twisted Colossus train and see if you have a better experience.

It surprises me, the only 4D coaster i've ridden is Eejanaika at Fuji-Q and it has the new S&S trains too. It runs pretty smooth. It's a wild ride, but it wasn't painful or rough for us anyway. We sat in different positions on the train. Love that ride!

I rode Scream about 2 weeks ago in the front outer left seat and can confirm that it’s still extremely rough. Like I’m talking Viper rough....

Oh, I rode it about 3-4 weeks ago myself. It is still rough. Actually for me, more of a constant chugging. But I felt it was way, way worse before the new trains.

I am glad you feel the same... there's a lot of people out there who seem to feel it's smooth. Granted, everyone has a different experience, but aside from the opening year or two, it's always been rough to me. I don't get that many rough B & M's, but that was one of them.

Oh, I rode it about 3-4 weeks ago myself. It is still rough. Actually for me, more of a constant chugging. But I felt it was way, way worse before the new trains.

I am glad you feel the same... there's a lot of people out there who seem to feel it's smooth. Granted, everyone has a different experience, but aside from the opening year or two, it's always been rough to me. I don't get that many rough B & M's, but that was one of them.

i went about a month ago. worst most rattle filled ride i've ever had on it. one of the two repainted trains. upgraded is only good until the first wheel goes bad. back row. one ride was more than enough that day. no head banging, but my ride was the definition of the B&M rattle if there ever was one.

that day was headache city. scream, rattled my brain. then worse, apocalypse's torture, then the big one hit on X2 on the final raven. should have just stayed with TC that day.

Yeah it's disgustingly rough, only ride in the park I refuse to ride anymore

I’ve said this before, but my opinion of Scream has changed a bit in the last few months. I have always truly believed it ran on octagonal wheels, but since both trains have been refurbished and repainted, I’ve had several consistently good rides on it in October, December, and January. It’s still one of the rougher B&Ms out there, but I don’t think it’s nearly as bad now as it was a couple years ago.

Viper is still better.

Little park update: The Crazanity site is still pretty much untouched and has been that way for a few months now. So I really do believe that Knotts will have Hangtime open for park guests before Crazanity is even fully constructed.

Batman was down for a few days last week but is back up.

Apocalypse is down, and will stay down for the foreseeable future as they're doing in house work on the track again... Not sure why this ride can't seem to maintain operations anymore but they seem to be chasing their tail on this one. It might reopen like it did during Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, which was incredibly sporadic at best, but I really wouldn't plan on riding it these next few months.

The rumor mill is really heating up and it now sounds like there might be some building demolition in Cyclone Bay as early as April. Roaring Rapids might be in the line of fire for this ride as well. Whatever the 2019 project is, it sounds big. Like ginormous investment going around the park big. They might even start work on 2019 before the 2018 project is even done!

Little park update: The Crazanity site is still pretty much untouched and has been that way for a few months now. So I really do believe that Knotts will have Hangtime open for park guests before Crazanity is even fully constructed.

Batman was down for a few days last week but is back up.

Apocalypse is down, and will stay down for the foreseeable future as they're doing in house work on the track again... Not sure why this ride can't seem to maintain operations anymore but they seem to be chasing their tail on this one. It might reopen like it did during Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, which was incredibly sporadic at best, but I really wouldn't plan on riding it these next few months.

The rumor mill is really heating up and it now sounds like there might be some building demolition in Cyclone Bay as early as April. Roaring Rapids might be in the line of fire for this ride as well. Whatever the 2019 project is, it sounds big. Like ginormous investment going around the park big. They might even start work on 2019 before the 2018 project is even done! [emoji14]

I would be shocked to see Six Flags spend large amounts of money on a ride. But if that’s true we should be seeing construction markers LONG before Six Flags announces rides in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It costs money to maintain it properly...

The rumor mill is really heating up and it now sounds like there might be some building demolition in Cyclone Bay as early as April. Roaring Rapids might be in the line of fire for this ride as well. Whatever the 2019 project is, it sounds big. Like ginormous investment going around the park big. They might even start work on 2019 before the 2018 project is even done!

Believe it or not, outside of Superman, no park in the ride draws as much power as Roaring Rapids does for its pumps. Expensive to operate, and those pumps are not cheap themselves to maintain. Wouldn't shock me to see them remove it just for that reason.

Of course Roaring Rapids is expensive to run, it is also rather popular. It is hard for me to believe that they would take it out. I could imagine if a new big ride is coming in 2019 that it start at Cyclone Bay or whatever new name this area will get and goes OVER Roaring Rapids, but not taking that ride out.

Magic Mountain has done a really good job in the past decade to update the park from the entrance area to the Boardwalk now. If they follow the pattern, Cyclone Bay is next and really needed. The Roaring Rapids/Tatsu area is fine and beautiful, especially during Christmas and only area for a update that is missing would be the Viper area, which is not spectacular, but not bad either.

We basically got a new park within the past years. I for one are happy the way Magic Mountain is going.

Speaking of Scream and rough coasters, how much does individual park TLC factor in to the equation?

I know that for woodies care and maintenance play a huge role. But what about for steel coasters?

B&Ms are known for their smoothness, but some can be very rough and rattlly while others run like butter. Sometimes even within the same park.

At least for me, the only part of that ride that was rough at the outset was the first vertical loop. I remember it pretty vividly because I thought it was unusual for just that one part to be rough.

It took about 2 years before the rest of the ride starting catching up, in terms of roughness.

I still think that scream would be so much better appreciated at another park. Many people would say that it is not even in the top ten at Magic Mountain but would literally be the number one coaster at a handful of other parks.

Scream isn’t even rough. Riddler is.

Not really. Riddler is smooth as glass in the front rows. Now, towards the back is where things start to get shaky. It's still an awesome ride though. Scream is on and off, but I don't like that I can never tell if it's going to be enjoyable or not until I ride it. When it's running well, I still enjoy it a lot.

I do hope that the ginormous investment going around will spare Roaring Rapids and just go above and around it, but it really is in prime real estate for a new ride. We shall see once survey markings start popping up around here in the next few months.

Maintenance does have a factor in the smoothness of all rides. If the wheels are towards the end of their life, it can be a bit rougher (but not substantially), as the tolerance between the wheel and the track expands very slightly. I think X2 is a good example of wheels and their effect on the ride experience since the train is so heavy. Apocalypse just got an outside company to retrack half of the ride at the beginning of last year though which is why I'm surprised that they can't keep up with it, but it's supposedly smoother now. Scream on the other hand is just rough in spots, especially at the bottom of the first drop. I wouldn't say the whole ride is rough, but that first drop gives me a headache every time I ride it...

Edited by MagicMountainMan

^ It's been YEARS since iv'e been on Rapids. I wonder if it's possible to modify it in some way so that it can share space with another ride. I would imagine if this new ride is opening in 2019, Roaring Rapids would have already been toast if they were going to completely remove it.

BTW, Screamscape seems to think the park may be getting a Time Traveler style Mack spinner. But the way you keep using the word ginormous makes me think more of a Tatsu like investment.

" While a giant Dive Machine is still possible, another rumor has surfaced this time around, claiming that the park may be eyeballing the Mack Rides built Time Machine coaster opening at Silver Dollar City in 2018, that will feature a vertical dive, launches and most importantly... spinning cars... something that SFMM has yet to add to their lineup".

^ It's been YEARS since iv'e been on Rapids. I wonder if it's possible to modify it in some way so that it can share space with another ride. I would imagine if this new ride is opening in 2019, Roaring Rapids would have already been toast if they were going to completely remove it.

BTW, Screamscape seems to think the park may be getting a Time Traveler style Mack spinner. But the way you keep using the word ginormous makes me think more of a Tatsu like investment.

" While a giant Dive Machine is still possible, another rumor has surfaced this time around, claiming that the park may be eyeballing the Mack Rides built Time Machine coaster opening at Silver Dollar City in 2018, that will feature a vertical dive, launches and most importantly... spinning cars... something that SFMM has yet to add to their lineup".

They may do a send off like they do with a bunch of classic rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk