TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^While no new ones have been installed to my knowledge, a redesign was shown at IAAPA 2016 that nixes the back-to-back seating of the first gen versions for an arrangement similar to S&S's.

yes, this. exactly fixed what alan schilke said why it sucks. lol

I don't understand the hate Green Lantern gets around here. I've ridden it a few times and actually really like the ride. I think it's rather unique.

Because it’s painful and and not any fun, that’s why. There’s a reason why Six Flags didn’t build any more of them.

But in the grand scheme of things, Green Lantern can't be more painful than Viper?

It manages to be far, far worse.

With Viper, you can typically brace your head to avoid slamming it against the restraint on a turn. With Green Lantern, you're at the mercy of the car and how it spins. I've never experienced anything on a rollercoaster quite as painful as going through the final drop and brake run completely inverted.

But in the grand scheme of things, Green Lantern can't be more painful than Viper?

Viper is like floating in the clouds compared to GL; they're not even in the same category. Viper has a bit of uncomfortable headbanging and jerky transitions whereas GL has the capacity to cause serious physical pain. For me, taking some of GL's turns face-down felt very similar to being punched directly in the head. I'd estimate that GL is at least 10-15 times worse than your worst ride on Viper.

There's nothing wrong with Viper that some new trains can't fix. GL, well...

BTW has Viper ever had any track work done? It's nearly 30 years old. At what age do most steelies start track replacements? I mean Hulk was barely 16 years old, but Space Mountain DL was 26.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

BTW has Viper ever had any track work done? It's nearly 30 years old. At what age do most steelies start track replacements? I mean Hulk was barely 16 years old, but Space Mountain DL was 26.

Yeah, there was some reprofiling done on it early in its life and part of the first drop was changed. I swear that awkward bit right before the corkscrews was changed as well, but I have no evidence to back that up.

Viper's from the pre-CGI era of Arrow when their engineering department used old coat hangers and bits of string.

Viper is like floating in the clouds compared to GL; they're not even in the same category. Viper has a bit of uncomfortable headbanging and jerky transitions whereas GL has the capacity to cause serious physical pain. For me, taking some of GL's turns face-down felt very similar to being punched directly in the head. I'd estimate that GL is at least 10-15 times worse than your worst ride on Viper.

my one ride was the most concerned i've ever been on a coaster after riding it. after i thought, something irreversible might actually happen by riding it. we went up the lift hill face down. a small girl, and her small mom on the other side. for all i know, i might gotten a slight concussion that day. i just remember sitting there after for a while. got some pizza, then after an hour or so, continued on our day.

but overall, it just didn't seem like a ride i'd have to ride another time even if it was smooth.

viper on the other hand used to be my favorite ride there. it's pretty brutal, and i haven't ridden in a while, but i can ride it and just laugh about it being rough.

I love both Viper and Green Lantern more than most people, but even I can attest that Green Lantern is far worse. Viper has just a few rough spots that, if you know the layout, you can brace for. But Green Lantern just tosses you forwards and backwards in the most intense ways possible.

I think part of the reason I like Green Lantern is because it is one of only a handful of coasters that legitimately scares me every time I ride. I never know how intense my ride will be. I really hope it reopens soon.

I like the ride too, for the same reasons. But if it were just a few whiners complaining about how uncomfortable the ride is, I'd just ignore it. But the fact that it's almost universally hated by the community, I can only imagine how the public feels about it.

I'm not so sure it's going to reopen honestly. The park seems to be looking for excuses not to run it.

for some reason, the last couple times i tried to log into the six flags passholder section, it told me i was blocked from too many unsuccessful logins. anyway, it started working after clicking around. so i was just browsing some member areas and saw "upgrade membership". clicked on it to see what it said. i got this page.

1044123792_ScreenShot2018-01-28at10_34_13PM.thumb.png.4717190ed20c1e894cb3a275fd155780.png

so it says there will be a special offer for current members on march 1st. just a fyi.

^Wow. I had my suspicions, to say the least, but Six Flags really does think their clientele is dumb as a bag of rocks. No mentally-typical person of (or anywhere near) pass-purchasing age needs to be informed that "more expensive" means "higher priced." That's just actively insulting.

Wait, they didn't explain what "less expensive" means. Does less expensive mean lower priced?

^Wow. I had my suspicions, to say the least, but Six Flags really does think their clientele is dumb as a bag of rocks. No mentally-typical person of (or anywhere near) pass-purchasing age needs to be informed that "more expensive" means "higher priced." That's just actively insulting.

Wait, they didn't explain what "less expensive" means. Does less expensive mean lower priced?

The best part is having a warning saying NOT to spend more money on a higher priced membership until a certain date. Way to tell your customers not to spend their money on you, SF. That's off the chart terrible. And then there's completely unnecessarily complicated membership scheme itself. This is not how more people come through the gates or spend more $$$ at this park.

SF would be better off following the old Navy design principle, "Keep it simple, stupid."

I'm sure they know people who bought the pass now would be upset the price went down in a few weeks, so I actually think it's smart to tell them to wait. Hook them in with a deal, then keep them there when that deal expires. My membership price has gone up by a dollar or so, but it's still so cheap I don't even care...

The best part is having a warning saying NOT to spend more money on a higher priced membership until a certain date. Way to tell your customers not to spend their money on you, SF. That's off the chart terrible. And then there's completely unnecessarily complicated membership scheme itself. This is not how more people come through the gates or spend more $$$ at this park.

SF would be better off following the old Navy design principle, "Keep it simple, stupid."

I'm sure they know people who bought the pass now would be upset the price went down in a few weeks, so I actually think it's smart to tell them to wait. Hook them in with a deal, then keep them there when that deal expires. My membership price has gone up by a dollar or so, but it's still so cheap I don't even care...
Yeah, I don't think that's terrible at all, I think that was actually unusually considerate of them to do that. You can still upgrade now if you want, but don't complain if it's cheaper to do so on March 1st and you're no longer eligible for the cheaper price.

What we'd probably expect from MM would be to not say anything at all, then have a bunch of people find that page and pay to upgrade, and then those people would all be pissed off come March 1st when a deal was announced and they'd all be shouting about how terrible MM is for not telling them about the deal before they went and upgraded. I do think it's kind of bs that they will allow you to upgrade but not downgrade, that's a pretty JV move. They're hoping that cancelling and restarting will just be too inconvenient so you'll continue to pay the higher price.

It’s also horrible that they call their own membership upgrade process “complicated”. No one wants to do something complicated. How stupid are they? That’s great they want to simplify it, but they should keep that to themselves until they actually do simplify it.

It’s also horrible that they call their own membership upgrade process “complicated”. No one wants to do something complicated. How stupid are they? That’s great they want to simplify it, but they should keep that to themselves until they actually do simplify it.

They didn't say "Here it is, its complicated, thats how it goes. Tough." they're saying "We're working on a more efficient way to do this later (Probably March 1st), but if you don't want to wait that long, here is a way you can get it done right now."

They didn't say "Here it is, its complicated, thats how it goes. Tough." they're saying "We're working on a more efficient way to do this later (Probably March 1st), but if you don't want to wait that long, here is a way you can get it done right now."

By saying “we are working on a way to make it less complicated” implies that it is complicated. Even if something is complicated, you don’t tell your paying customer that, or it might dissuade them to do it. Let the customer decide if it is complicated or not. Just tell them the process, and then when the simpler method comes out, they can say something like “we’ve simplified the upgrade process to make it even easier to get more value out of your membership!”. It sounds a lot better to your customers that way.

Yes, I saw that on Instagram. I am still not completely sure how pouches like that could speed up operations, since most people have bags and cups, which still must be set in the cubbies. Most people will small enough items to fit in that pouch (like phones, wallets, and keys) typically ride with them in their pockets.

I hope I’m proved wrong, because of course I’d love to see the trains race more often!