TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just a heads up... Don't rush out to purchase a Gold Plus membership quite yet.

There are THREE more higher tiers coming out between February 14-24, 2018.

* Platinum

* Diamond

* Diamond Elite

If you already purchased a Gold Plus membership, you will be able to upgrade to a higher tier when they are made available.

I will post the benefits of each one later tonight.

I may be making a trip to Magic Mountain this year (of course, overcoming my fear of flying) . . . .

What's the best time of year to come(in terms of crowds and such)?

Are the summer months in Valencia brutally hot?

Best place to stay? (specifically, hotels that have shuttles to and from the park)

And I do know that with Platinum Flash Pass, you are limited to one reservation on X2 and Twisted Colossus.

come now during the week, or come for west coast bash.

I may be making a trip to Magic Mountain this year (of course, overcoming my fear of flying) . . . .

What's the best time of year to come(in terms of crowds and such)?

Are the summer months in Valencia brutally hot?

Best place to stay? (specifically, hotels that have shuttles to and from the park)

And I do know that with Platinum Flash Pass, you are limited to one reservation on X2 and Twisted Colossus.

come now during the week, or come for west coast bash.

West Coast Bash is another great suggestion...I've been to several and they are the best way to experience Magic Mountain and meet other TPR members! Typically we get morning and/or evening ERT on a varying number of coasters, breakfast and lunch, and sometimes we may get Q&A with park representatives or backstage tours (but not every year).

The other half of West Coast Bash is Knott's Berry Farm, and you get most of the same activities, but KBF is much better about doing the Q&A and Backstage stuff whenever it's possible for them. I really loved the tour we got of Sierra Sidewinder's mech shop since that is such a unique ride with it's vertical elevator transfer. Usually it is a Sat/Sun in October. We didn't have one in '17 because Robb was out of the country at the time, but I hear they are planning on doing one this year if possible.

Do a search for west coast bash or wcb on the forums and look at others' trip reports.

Count me in as one highly recommending West Coast Bash as well. I alternated and did SFMM in 2013 and 2015 and Knott’s in 2014. Couldn’t go in 2016. Such an amazing experience from both parks, and everybody is so nice and inviting, and you can really tell how much work the Alveys put into the event. And for what you get, it’s also a REALLY good price! I believe I read somewhere in the Ask Alvey forum or something that they are indeed having a 2018 WCB this September, but of course plans could change.

Other minor notes: Honda Express seemed to be down for refurbishment. TC running 3 trains, even with low crowds. FT only ran one at park opening (I didn't stay long, so I hope they added another later, but not sure). And Classic Revolution (no VR) had a line going all the way down the ramp at 11:30. Guess it's found it's groove with the GP? I was surprised to see it having a line that long..

FT only has 1 train onsite. The other one is gone for inspection / maintenance.

This is what happens when you have so many coasters but not enough staff in the cycle shop.

Here are the updates to the new Membership program...

Gold Plus Membership (Currently Available)

• Free friend tickets on select days
  • Exclusive ride time events
  • Season Parking at all Six Flags parks
  • Bonus summertime free friend ticket (on select days)
  • Gold Plus Admission and Parking at all outdoor Six Flags, including water parks
  • Priority entry to the park via exclusive Member entrance
  • Save up to 20% on almost anything in the park (candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes)
  • 5% Discounts on all food, beverages, Flash Passes, paid rides, cabanas, and tube rentals
  • Discounts on funnel cakes, nachos, games, and paid attractions
  • Save a minimum of 20% off on all tickets for friends
  • First to ride new attractions
  • Member appreciation Days plus regular Member-only exclusive ride times
  • Special Member Pass ID with Member lanyard, exclusive Member newsletter and access to the private Member support center.

Platinum Membership (Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits of the Gold Pass membership and ALSO includes the following:

• Unlimited soft drinks every visit
  • One-time preferred parking any one visit you choose
  • One-time skip-the-line ticket you can use on any major ride you like.
  • Save a minimum of 25% off all tickets for friends
  • Save even more with 25% off candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • 15% off most food purchases, Cabana rentals, and tube rentals.
  • Everyday discounts on Flash Passes and paid attractions
  • Member-Only Opening Day invite
  • One-time printed ride photo
  • Priority entry to concerts
  • Platinum Member drawstring bag
  • Platinum Pass Holder ID

Diamond Membership (Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits of the Platinum membership and ALSO includes the following:

• Preferred Parking every visit
  • Skip the line on one ride every visit
  • Save 35% off candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • Member-only Water Park seating
  • Member-Only Show seating
  • Save a minimum of 35% off on all tickets for friends
  • Save 20% off most food purchases, Cabana rentals, and tube rentals.
  • One-time printed ride photo and digital ride photo
  • Choice of Diamond level premium park clothing item
  • One-time Flash Pass upgrade
  • Free S'Mores kit during Holiday in the Park
  • One free Haunted House during FrightFest every visit
  • Diamond level seating in Hurricane Harbor
  • Priority first-in-line entry to Hurricane Harbor
  • Diamond Pass Holder ID

Diamond Elite Membership (Highest level of Membership - Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits with all other memberships and ALSO includes the following:

• Skip the line on TWO rides every visit
  • Save 50% on food, merchandise, candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • Save a minimum of 50% off on all tickets for friends
  • Priority Preferred Parking every visit
  • Haunted House wristband every visit to FrightFest
  • Save 30% off on Cabana rentals, VIP tours, and tube rentals.
  • Save 15% on Flash Passes
  • Extra (double) ride on paid attractions every visit
  • Flash Pass upgrade every visit
  • Choice of Diamond Elite level premium park clothing item
  • Diamond Elite Pass Holder ID

Here are the updates to the new Membership program...

Gold Plus Membership (Currently Available)

• Free friend tickets on select days
  • Exclusive ride time events
  • Season Parking at all Six Flags parks
  • Bonus summertime free friend ticket (on select days)
  • Gold Plus Admission and Parking at all outdoor Six Flags, including water parks
  • Priority entry to the park via exclusive Member entrance
  • Save up to 20% on almost anything in the park (candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes)
  • 5% Discounts on all food, beverages, Flash Passes, paid rides, cabanas, and tube rentals
  • Discounts on funnel cakes, nachos, games, and paid attractions
  • Save a minimum of 20% off on all tickets for friends
  • First to ride new attractions
  • Member appreciation Days plus regular Member-only exclusive ride times
  • Special Member Pass ID with Member lanyard, exclusive Member newsletter and access to the private Member support center.

Platinum Membership (Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits of the Gold Pass membership and ALSO includes the following:

• Unlimited soft drinks every visit
  • One-time preferred parking any one visit you choose
  • One-time skip-the-line ticket you can use on any major ride you like.
  • Save a minimum of 25% off all tickets for friends
  • Save even more with 25% off candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • 15% off most food purchases, Cabana rentals, and tube rentals.
  • Everyday discounts on Flash Passes and paid attractions
  • Member-Only Opening Day invite
  • One-time printed ride photo
  • Priority entry to concerts
  • Platinum Member drawstring bag
  • Platinum Pass Holder ID

Diamond Membership (Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits of the Platinum membership and ALSO includes the following:

• Preferred Parking every visit
  • Skip the line on one ride every visit
  • Save 35% off candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • Member-only Water Park seating
  • Member-Only Show seating
  • Save a minimum of 35% off on all tickets for friends
  • Save 20% off most food purchases, Cabana rentals, and tube rentals.
  • One-time printed ride photo and digital ride photo
  • Choice of Diamond level premium park clothing item
  • One-time Flash Pass upgrade
  • Free S'Mores kit during Holiday in the Park
  • One free Haunted House during FrightFest every visit
  • Diamond level seating in Hurricane Harbor
  • Priority first-in-line entry to Hurricane Harbor
  • Diamond Pass Holder ID

Diamond Elite Membership (Highest level of Membership - Available starting sometime between February 14-24)

Includes all benefits with all other memberships and ALSO includes the following:

• Skip the line on TWO rides every visit
  • Save 50% on food, merchandise, candy, merchandise, Season Drink bottles, Deluxe Dining Plans, Season Popcorn Buckets, and Season Photo Passes
  • Save a minimum of 50% off on all tickets for friends
  • Priority Preferred Parking every visit
  • Haunted House wristband every visit to FrightFest
  • Save 30% off on Cabana rentals, VIP tours, and tube rentals.
  • Save 15% on Flash Passes
  • Extra (double) ride on paid attractions every visit
  • Flash Pass upgrade every visit
  • Choice of Diamond Elite level premium park clothing item
  • Diamond Elite Pass Holder ID

WTF is there anyway they are going to allow a upgrade for season pass holders?

^I'm curious to see the pricing structure on these tiers. I wonder if they try to price these high this year and then start raising the Gold Pass tier as well so that they pull up pass prices across the board.

Ride updates:

Goliath is indeed open.

Green Lantern (again, for the two people that care) is down indefinitely. The park hasn't said that it's going to stay down forever, but from what I've heard it's going to be down for a while.

Apocalypse is down again. They keep having to do maintenance on its track and they can't seem to keep up with it. Rumors have really started to fly that Cyclone Bay might see a 2019 refresh so who knows what the future holds for this ride.

Green Lantern (again, for the two people that care) is down indefinitely. The park hasn't said that it's going to stay down forever, but from what I've heard it's going to be down for a while.

Apocalypse is down again. They keep having to do maintenance on its track and they can't seem to keep up with it. Rumors have really started to fly that Cyclone Bay might see a 2019 refresh so who knows what the future holds for this ride.

I wonder why they are taking so long to announce what is going on with Green Lantern.

What rumors have you heard about a Cyclone Bay refresh? If it's going to happen, they pretty much have to start from the ground up in that section of the park.

^ My hope is that most of those shops will come down, completely opening up that area. Since Apocalypse really isn't enough to attract guests to that area, they will add something that stands out next to it, Or if they were to go cheap, they might RMC it, which ironically would be the second GCI in the state to get the treatment. Can't wait to sit back and watch people flip out if they decided to do it lol

As for Green Lantern, I actually like the ride, but I'm afraid that bad boy may be done for!

I don't see either Apocolypse or Green Lantern going anywhere.

They just spent a ton of money reinvesting in Apocalypse over the summer with it's retracking. And Green Lantern is not even 7 years old yet, and is very compact. If anything I could see it being relocated to another park, maybe to SFStL as they haven't had a new coaster in quiet some time. Or really any seasonal park where they would be able to refurb it in the off season.

It will be interesting to see what season pass pricing is on the new passes.

When I was doing the survey and they were considering these tiers, it wasnt a huge amount per mont. Like Gold Plus was 7.89 per month, Platinum was 8.99, Diamond was 11.99, and Diamond Elite was I think like 19.99, that one was a substantial difference I remember.

Also while these extra upper tier discounts are obviously only for MM, I imagine anything Gold or above would still function as a Gold Pass at other parks. Come to think of it I'll want to confirm that, because I was thinking about one of these, but not if it wouldn't also get me into SFDK.

It really is an interesting list of benefits. I definitely would want clarity on which features would work at other Six Flags parks. I don't expect many, but some must transfer... at least free general parking and early entry at other Six Flag parks that offer it, equal to the typical Gold Pass, right?

Any idea how they're going to regulate things like FastPass on one or two rides (depending on level)? I assume they're scan your membership pass somehow (similar to how Universal does it, and probably why they'll provide a lanyard, as Universal does for Platinum passes that also get Express). But to my knowledge, Six Flags had never done that before, so it'd be an entire new process for them. One that does not mingle with the current Q-Bot system. Does that mean that'll be going away? Or will there be two systems?

I really, really despise monthly payments. But some of those benefits are pretty intriguing. If they can pull this off, and the price isn't too outrageous, it could be interesting.

I'm just as excited about the new membership levels as the frequent visitor program they surveyed about. If they do it, I hope it catches on to other parks.

Going back to the memberships, if the cost that they had on the survey is true, I might have no problem shelling out $20 per month for Platinum or Platinum Elite (especially if the perks can be used at other parks).