TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ LOL, I know you're probably being funny, but there are a lot of people below Neal (or Bonnie for that matter) who should be on top of those garbage cans.

That's just more proof that the entire leadership at SFMM needs to change.

Can that happen with $85 season passes?

Not really, which is also part of the problem.

Given the SoCal theme park market, you'd think SFMM season passes could be raised higher than that with relative ease. But given that coasters and that price point are the two biggest magnets they have to draw people this far north away from USH, KBF, DLR etc. Since SFMM's attendance is already much lower than those parks, the price point is a dangerous tool to try to use to increase revenues.

Good call. The new survey they just sent out suggests they are looking at changing the current model. The good news is that for the most part, if you want to pay what you're paying now, you still can, and mostly get the same stuff. The only thing that looks like it would go away is the gold pass early entry - it looks like they're planning on moving that to the gold pass "plus" level membership.

They're going to have Regular, Gold, Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Elite level memberships. (These levels apply to memberships only, not season passes) with Gold Plus only being a few cents per month more than Gold and Elite just under $20/month. I should have written it down, I believe Platinum was like 10.85 and Diamond was 13.85 or so - at least those are the prices theyre considering currently, they might change before the program is launched.

Some useful potential benefits to the upper levels such as discounted concession and merch (bigger discount the higher your level), ditto for friend tickets on all days, automatic preferred parking, exit passes that work on ANY ride (even X2, TC, SEFK, etc), discounted or free flash pass depending on membership level...lots more.

It gets really crazy at the highest level, the listed benefits for it included Priority Preferred Parking, early entry, half off most concessions and merch, half off friend tickets on all days, unlimited free drinks, free flash pass on every visit, 2 exit passes on each visit, free double rides, and more - on every visit. They could probably charge more for that than they're planning to.

First reaction might be negative for some at tiered pricing, but I like that for the most part the park is finding a new way to increase revenue to pay for operating 365 days per year, which really was inevitable, while at the same time not raising the current prices to current SP/Membership guests, you choose if you want to upgrade.

First reaction might be negative for some at tiered pricing, but I like that for the most part the park is finding a new way to increase revenue to pay for operating 365 days per year, which really was inevitable, while at the same time not raising the current prices to current SP/Membership guests, you choose if you want to upgrade.

As long as I can still use a Gold pass purchased at Discovery Kingdom to get free parking and entry at Magic Mountain, I have no reason to complain about these changes.

They're going to have Regular, Gold, Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Elite level memberships.

All those levels were head-spinningly confusing; wonder if they'll streamline to fewer. I'm relieved that they're just looking to add perks for new higher levels rather than taking away from what we currently get.

They're going to have Regular, Gold, Gold Plus, Platinum, Diamond, and Diamond Elite level memberships.

All those levels were head-spinningly confusing; wonder if they'll streamline to fewer. I'm relieved that they're just looking to add perks for new higher levels rather than taking away from what we currently get.

Yeah I agree, and sorry its a little confusing, I wasnt planning on copying it when I started and couldnt go back once I was in the middle, so it was just from memory. The gist is like you say, mostly the same for current members, additional perks if you want to pay more, and the perks get better the more you pay.

The only potential downside for me is that some (more than currently) parking is going to be reserved for higher paying members, and some waits could be longer with more double rides and exit passes floating around.

^ I know you're jesting, but I just can't that ever working for an amusement park unless they plan on going back to a pay per ride system. Newer and more popular rides costs say $10 a ride whereas older and less popular rides are maybe only $2-5 a ride. That said I would not put it past SF to try. They'd had worse ideas. I'm actually surprised Disney hasn't gone back down that road.

So if that’s membership only, what about those of us with season passes? How does that work?

According to the survey, there would be no changes to season passes.

So I wouldn’t be able to get a Diamond Elite season pass?

You would have to convert to a Diamond Elite Membership. The pay-in-full season passes aren't going to be tiered.

Regarding the parking lot trash cans, has any of you mentioned it to guest relations, or in your post visit surveys? I doubt members of management are in the guest parking lots very frequently to notice.

Regarding the parking lot trash cans, has any of you mentioned it to guest relations, or in your post visit surveys? I doubt members of management are in the guest parking lots very frequently to notice.

i basically say the same thing in every survey in the comments. "i have a great time at sfmm. you have a few great coasters. i will always come to the park to ride them. but, the cleanliness of the park leaves a lot to be desired."

usually, i'll give some blatant examples as well. this time, i also made sure to commend Isaiah from the TC crew.

Taking the time to actually give feedback on those surveys and at Guest Relations is actually the best way for your voice to be heard. The park puts all comments in a database and they are distributed to all managers and higher-ups. Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't get taken care of or changed, but needless to say, employees do actually read all of the surveys and comments.

Ride updates for those of you wanting to visit the park soon:

Green Lantern is for all intents and purposes SBNO. The park's timetable for its closure was through the end of the year, but that has come and gone without a single update on the ride's status.

Goliath's lift motor broke two days ago so it's going to be down for a little while as they have to replace the motor unit. If you visit right now you can see one of the trains stuck at the top of the lift where they had to leave it.

Also these next two days I wouldn't bet on the park being open based on the weather. While you might get extremely lucky and the rain actually does completely pass the Santa Clarita Valley and you could run around in a completely empty park, it's more likely that in the morning the park will choose to close. I'm definitely not saying it's a guarantee that the park closes, but make sure you check first when there are days where it looks like it's going to rain all day.

Taking the time to actually give feedback on those surveys and at Guest Relations is actually the best way for your voice to be heard. The park puts all comments in a database and they are distributed to all managers and higher-ups. Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't get taken care of or changed, but needless to say, employees do actually read all of the surveys and comments.

I always, always brush those surveys aside. Might be rethinking that in the future.

I figure, that if you can take the survey away with you, back to home, then fill it out as part of the reflection of how your time was at the park....I'd do it, easy! I have done it for a few other overseas parks, as well as the hotels we were staying in. I did it for the Breakers after this past Cedar Point visit with Bert, back in June.

^Thanks for the updates. As for the surveys, I do often fill them out. Once a while ago, they asked what rides I went on, and they still had Apocalypse listed as Terminator: Salvation. This was nearly 6 months to a year after the name change. I replied on the survey that it was difficult to take their survey seriously when they don't even know the names of their own rides. Fortunately, they seem to have improved since then.

On my twitter, I posted a debate question: what's the worst first impression--the disgusting, overflowing trash cans in the SFMM parking lot, or the 45-60 minute security lines (that still have do not have a no bag option) and then the agonizingly slow admission lines as they take a pic and wait for a signature for every non-AP member at Disneyland, so that it takes you 60-90 minutes just to get from your car to inside the park?

I always fill out the surveys the parks send me.

^ Great Adventure is STILL asking if I rode Batman Backwards and what did I think of it. That was two seasons ago now.

This statement right here shows how disconnected management is from their operation.

So there's that.

In regards to the management's lack of attention to the guest parking lot, that lot and the location of the management offices on SFMM property could not be further away from each other. Absent any sort of personal initiative, they'd have to have a darn good reason for going all the way out to the parking lot. Trash cans most likely would not qualify, though it'd be really nice if Neal, or someone else in park management, would react with personal initiative to the photo posted a couple of pages ago and at least fix that.