TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^Have you been on Scream lately? It's one of the roughest B&M coasters I've ever been on. I have no idea why it is either, but it is.

That said, rough for B&M is still relatively rideable. But by comparison, it's one of their weakest ones in terms of ride quality. Which is a shame... it's the only dive loop in SoCal, which is my favorite inversion.

Riddlers Revenge has 2 dive loops...

Taking the time to actually give feedback on those surveys and at Guest Relations is actually the best way for your voice to be heard. The park puts all comments in a database and they are distributed to all managers and higher-ups. Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't get taken care of or changed, but needless to say, employees do actually read all of the surveys and comments.

So there's that.

In regards to the management's lack of attention to the guest parking lot, that lot and the location of the management offices on SFMM property could not be further away from each other. Absent any sort of personal initiative, they'd have to have a darn good reason for going all the way out to the parking lot. Trash cans most likely would not qualify, though it'd be really nice if Neal, or someone else in park management, would react with personal initiative to the photo posted a couple of pages ago and at least fix that.

I would have to lie about downtime at Superman to get my supervisors to come up the hill...doesn't sound like anything has changed in 15 years

Taking the time to actually give feedback on those surveys and at Guest Relations is actually the best way for your voice to be heard. The park puts all comments in a database and they are distributed to all managers and higher-ups. Unfortunately a lot of stuff doesn't get taken care of or changed, but needless to say, employees do actually read all of the surveys and comments.

So there's that.

In regards to the management's lack of attention to the guest parking lot, that lot and the location of the management offices on SFMM property could not be further away from each other. Absent any sort of personal initiative, they'd have to have a darn good reason for going all the way out to the parking lot. Trash cans most likely would not qualify, though it'd be really nice if Neal, or someone else in park management, would react with personal initiative to the photo posted a couple of pages ago and at least fix that.

I would have to lie about downtime at Superman to get my supervisors to come up the hill...doesn't sound like anything has changed in 15 years

i dont blame them, that hill is ridiculous

i dont blame them, that hill is ridiculous

Once upon a time there was another way to get up the hill that wasn't so bad. It connected Ninja to Mining Town via some stairs and a little road. As far as I know, Tatsu's construction blew up the little road to the stairs, but it was replaced with a path that goes under Tatsu just beyond Tatsu's entrance. Anyone authorized to drive backstage *should* be able to park at the Mining Town gate, and reach the top of the hill in minutes via that path without much physical labor involved.

Plus, we're challenging you to visit every day for 365 Days of Thrills. The Season Pass Holder who visits the park the most in 2018 will receive an “All-In 2019 Season Pass.” Don't miss out, buy your Season Pass now.
I wonder if that just means free, or if not then what "All-In" means. Interesting contest though. Someone who lives nearby with a gold pass could probably accomplish that pretty easily.

^ Wow. 5 of the parks major coasters, 5 flat rides and an upcharge attraction are open. I understand staffing and refurbishments are issues with year-round operation, but why announce and commit to it if most of your major rides are going to be closed? Couldn't they rotate which rides are taken out of service?

Just my 2 cents.

^ Wow. 5 of the parks major coasters, 5 flat rides and an upcharge attraction are open. I understand staffing and refurbishments are issues with year-round operation, but why announce and commit to it if most of your major rides are going to be closed? Couldn't they rotate which rides are taken out of service?

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I mean I get Goliath is down uplanned mx, and Green Lantern is down long term, so those don't really count, but especially considering no staffing is needed for those rides, at least Tatsu and X2 should be running if possible.

Wow. That does unfortunately look like it's probably a staffing issue since basically everything between Viper and DC Universe is closed (except a couple upcharge attractions and the bumper cars), including up on top of the hill. And pretty much everything on the other half that's not expected to be closed is open with the exception of Scream. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the weekdays before spring break are.

Edit: Looks like a few more staff members showed up. Riddler, Gold Rusher, and Justice League are now open. Ninja too.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it. When HITP was going on, I believe they had Apocalypse closed during the week, as well. I'm surprised about X2, Tatsu, and Scream being closed, though.

I'll probably stop by the park for a few hours tomorrow afternoon; I'm curious to see if those rides are still closed tomorrow.

Honestly, though, I'm just glad to have the park open with a few coasters operating during the week, so I can stop by on my way home.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it.

That's a mega bummer. Definitely not the case with the sister Intamin reverse free fall in Australia.

Superman's closure actually is weather-related. It can't operate when it's wet, and the park always waits several days after any rain before reopening it.

That's a mega bummer. Definitely not the case with the sister Intamin reverse free fall in Australia.

What about the rain causes Superman not to operate in the rain as opposed to Tower of Terror?

Wow. That does unfortunately look like it's probably a staffing issue since basically everything between Viper and DC Universe is closed (except a couple upcharge attractions and the bumper cars), including up on top of the hill. And pretty much everything on the other half that's not expected to be closed is open with the exception of Scream. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the weekdays before spring break are.

Edit: Looks like a few more staff members showed up. Riddler, Gold Rusher, and Justice League are now open. Ninja too.

I was wondering if this move to 365 days of operation signaled a change in their staffing procedures. Guess I have my answer!

What about the rain causes Superman not to operate in the rain as opposed to Tower of Terror?

The moisture interferes with the ride's sensors, which causes it to brake prematurely. Since the ride consists of a launch, a second of weightlessness, and then a brake run, there's no point in opening the ride when it won't launch properly. (Source: my brother, who is a ride op on SEFK).

I've noticed Full Throttle has this same problem. I've visited the park on a few rainy days, and it was always closed. One time, it began testing a few hours after the rain stopped, but the ride would brake the train halfway through the launch, which caused it to barely reach the loop. It ended up not opening that day.

Just saw a Crazanity update on greatamericancoasters.org, one thing to note, Sand Blasters is behind a construction fence and demolition on the giant ugly wall barrier is now starting. But interestingly, the fence is also covering Scrambler, yet no plans for any sort of refresh was included for that in the press release or concept art (while the space between the 2 rides would definitely be big enough to have Scrambler run during the Sand Blasters overhaul). Anyone else think that Magic Mountain has decided to give Scrambler a fresh coat of paint and some upgrades to not be an eyesore with Beach Boardwalk?!