--New Themed Areas--

Gotham City to D.C. Comics Land

Lower Colossus County Fair to Screampunk District

Lower Baja Ridge to Americana Plaza

High Sierra Territory to YOLOcoaster Zone

Movie District to Metropolis

Bugs Bunny Kids Zone to Bugs Bunny World

Upper Colossus County Fair to The Boardwalk

That is an insane amount of park revamp to do while improving ops from 4 minute dispatches with 1 train to 2 minute dispatches with 2 trains consistently running. I really hope that they continue these new themed lands, as in our community alone, it's really improved their reputation from a rundown, crappy place that hasn't seen a coat of paint in years, to a park with really hard working management that are adding awesome themed lands with solid rides. The first time I visited, Screampunk District was all the rage, and New Revolution was under construction. While Screampunk and D.C. looked really, really nice, the rest of the park looked like a major eyesore, and while the rides were a blast and it was fun, the areas just didn't feel clean. Now fast forwarding to Americana Plaza and Metropolis and soon to be The Boardwalk, the park feels completely fresh again. Everything feels much better maintained, it feels a lot "sharper", and the park feels like it isn't sagging, but has a lot more energy than it ever did. So in the extremely unlikely case that Neil ever reads this, keep up with the area revamps as they are the only reason I was able to convince my non-coaster riding family to come to the park, as the photos convinced them it didn't look trashy like people said 10 years ago.

They really have been trying to turn this park around and it looks great today. The only ugly/dated areas is the area by Apocalypse & Samurai Summit as they are updated Colossus area as we speak. Would be great to refresh Samurai Summit with a publicized reopening of an updated Sky Tower (maybe even replacing it with a new tower that can function more often). They've also done a great job at painting their coasters over the years, as I believe Tatsu is the only faded thing in the park now. I love the updates they did to DC Universe and Steampunk District. Full Throttle was probably the only thing I was and still am ehh about, although the update to Moose Burger was a nice change to the odd area.

Not only Magic Mountain, but Universal and Knotts have made tremendous improvements as well. I'm glad the parks are actually doing what they are best at as opposed to Knotts trying to be Magic Mountain or vice versa. I had my first Knotts visit in 2008 and I'm sorry, my family had no nostalgia to distract us from the fact that the park was filthy and dated. Ghostrider & The Saloon looked like they haven't been dusted since it was an actual town. I don't know if I was more freaked out by the animatronics on Calico Mine Train or coming close to that rust water in line. Wow is the park completely different today, nearly updated or touching up everything throughout the park since then. Great time to love theme parks!

Their brand new ride...features an overflow queue that is just RRv queue with a chain link fence separating it. With gravel carelessly thrown on the grown to cover dirt.

Painting buildings and putting new signs on them is great, but the culture problem is still very much there. Making things look good on the surface is only a small part of the battle. I hope Neil can dig in and change the culture from "penny wise, pound foolish" to putting the money where it needs to go: real detail, pay for team members, etc.

Their brand new ride...features an overflow queue that is just RRv queue with a chain link fence separating it. With gravel carelessly thrown on the grown to cover dirt.

Painting buildings and putting new signs on them is great, but the culture problem is still very much there. Making things look good on the surface is only a small part of the battle. I hope Neil can dig in and change the culture from "penny wise, pound foolish" to putting the money where it needs to go: real detail, pay for team members, etc.

I agree with this.

My philosophy with Magic Mountain is that I go for the coasters and that is it. They are the place to go for thrills in SoCal, and if I want anything more, I go to Knott’s or Disney or someplace else. If they ever clean up the place, great, but as long as they keep their coasters running well, I’ll continue to visit because I don’t go to the park for any other reason.

Agreed. But they can do only one thing at a time and I'm going to give credit where credit is due. They have a long way to go, but if they were just starting today what they did years ago we'd see how much they have done to improve the park. One goal at a time. Soon they will have nothing left to do but beef up the lovely areas they've been fixing up. Why add a bunch of flats when the rundown looking areas of the past would scare off families anyways? I would hardly ever see families hang out in the areas they refurbished before, so they are winning some over. Seeing families enjoy & hang around the area between Goldrusher all the way down to Scream was nearly impossible, and today completely different for a reason. The holidays definitely gave families a bang for their buck too, as MM looked amazing this Winter.

I go for only coasters too but my experienced has definitely been plussed over what they were offering a decade ago. The lack of abandoned building, rats running past you as you entered the Batman queue, and the headaches after leaving the two coasters you can say are MM culture (Colossus & Revolution) all definitely affected my coaster experience and I'm glad they are addressed. The passes are extremely cheap and MM has never looked this good for a long time, so as long as they don't think they are Knotts and start charging Knotts prices, I'm extremely happy. Painted buildings while going from coaster to coaster is always more nice than feeling like you're walking past an abandoned park. I'm not sure if I want much more from MM than what they are already doing as they will always be a coaster park, otherwise they will raise those prices.

We have to give credit where credit is due, Screampunk District, DC Universe, Full Throttle Zone, and several other refurbished areas still look absolutely amazing years after they were redone. If they weren't keeping up with the lands, why does Screampunk's spiral by the entrance consistently get repainted, how come the landscaping in TC's queue is constantly being replaced, and how come the special theming in DC Universe keeps being repainted and replaced? If we compare Movie District vs. Metropolis, aesthetics wise, Metropolis is so much better. Screampunk District vs. Colossus County Fair, Screampunk District looks much nicer and feels much more fresh and updated. Something to note, the ads are now a lot less invasive in the new areas it seems, Six Flags has really tried to keep to the theme of the sections, and not put ads all over the place (like the Got2BeGlued covering the entire side of the Magic Moments theater), and instead they've made them more suddle, such as a Cola pattern on an umbrella with Coca Cola written on the flaps in Metropolis. It comes down to would you rather have the entire park looks outdated and rundown, or very vibrant and modern areas with a couple small spots that could use some work.

On another note, was Bonnie overall a good GM? She seemed like a very bad people person according to a lot of employees and TPR people, but she did breath new life into a lot of the park. In my opinion she was a very smart business woman who put a lot of attention into the details, but it seemed like she improved things only for the public's eye, and none of the employees got their feedback or voices listened to. You also didn't see her walking around with a trash sweeper having guests point out what needed to be fixed and then fixing it. Just curious

If they don't intend to maintain all the newer areas, it defeats the purpose...

This is MM we are talking about so I understand where that negative thinking comes from. But why even come to that conclusion so early and for something that hasn't even happened yet? They have proven to be doing quite the opposite for some years now. Can we enjoy these areas for their first few years before putting a damper on a possible situation that possibly might not even occur at least half a decade from now? I don't even think the first renovation (Full Throttle I believe) has even reached 5 years old yet and the area is still pulling in people (even though it is my least favorite addition).

If MM sticks to this route, the lands should be updated often. As stated earlier, they are almost done renovating the whole park by a year or two. They will have to start adding to their existing lands in not too long, and these days MM has been consistent on fixing up everything that surrounds a new or refurbished ride. Just seems wayyyyyy to early to be thinking about areas not being maintained. Gotta have faith

My philosophy with Magic Mountain is that I go for the coasters and that is it. They are the place to go for thrills in SoCal, and if I want anything more, I go to Knott’s or Disney or someplace else. If they ever clean up the place, great, but as long as they keep their coasters running well, I’ll continue to visit because I don’t go to the park for any other reason.

If this ever changes, then you'll know SFMM has made the real improvements that it has needed for decades now. Otherwise it's all lipstick on a pig.

We have to give credit where credit is due.

This is MM we are talking about so I understand where that negative thinking comes from. But why even come to that conclusion so early and for something that hasn't even happened yet? They have proven to be doing quite the opposite for some years now. Can we enjoy these areas for their first few years before putting a damper on a possible situation that possibly might not even occur at least half a decade from now? I don't even think the first renovation (YOLOcoaster I believe) has even reached 5 years old yet and the area is still pulling in people (even though it is my least favorite addition).

If MM sticks to this route, the lands should be updated often. As stated earlier, they are almost done renovating the whole park by a year or two. They will have to start adding to their existing lands in not too long, and these days MM has been consistent on fixing up everything that surrounds a new or refurbished ride. Just seems wayyyyyy to early to be thinking about areas not being maintained. Gotta have faith

Sure, fresh paint is great. Credit given. But what lies underneath is the real problem. That's where the park's main problems are and have been for a very long time.

Aesthetical improvements are nice, but even those have proven to be rather temporary at this park over the multiple decades that some of us have known this park for. The important changes, work culture and so forth, are still absent which is why those of us who've known this park for quite a while are hesitant to show more than a passing "that's nice" about those kinds of improvements. You mention having faith. You can ask anyone on this forum. Nobody had more faith in this park than I did about 10ish years ago. Unfortunately that faith was based on these same sorts of superficial improvements that you're touting, and not the real main problems with this park. As long as those problems continue to go unaddressed and unsolved, no fresh coat of paint is going to make any sort of lasting impact.

Don't get me wrong here. I still want to see SFMM improve and I hope Neil can do a great job. But I am in no way disillusioned with the reality that this park still has a lot to overcome in order to become the great park that it could be and should be.

Can that happen with $85 season passes?

Not really, which is also part of the problem.

Given the SoCal theme park market, you'd think SFMM season passes could be raised higher than that with relative ease. But given that coasters and that price point are the two biggest magnets they have to draw people this far north away from USH, KBF, DLR etc. Since SFMM's attendance is already much lower than those parks, the price point is a dangerous tool to try to use to increase revenues.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

These discussions got me thinking, with the "whole family" direction that the park seems to be headed towards, what if for the park's 50th anniversary, they did a SFGAd War on Lines style move and put family/thrill flats all around the park. Imagine the fantastic marketing that could be promoted with... For Magic Mountain's 50th anniversary, we will be introducing 15 new rides in the park!! So whether you've been here 1 time, or 100, prepare for a full day of custom new experiences including the all new... "New Cyclone Bay whatever the name is!!" Now, at the thrill capital of the world!!

-

(however, realistically, I never see that happening)

But I am in no way disillusioned with the reality that this park still has a lot to overcome in order to become the great park that it could be and should be.

Can that happen with $85 season passes?

It can, so long as those people who have $85 passes are spending money each time they visit the park.

That's where the problem lies---if you are ONLY known for roller coasters, people don't care to spend money. You do need all the other things to make the complete package, which is where SFMM is lacking. I pay the $8/month for my membership, yet only go every few months just to ride a few rides and leave.

Talking about new areas in need of maintenance---when is the last time the water jets worked in YOLOPlaza? I'm sure if I bothered to go to the park more than once every few months I could find plenty more.

Talking about new areas in need of maintenance---when is the last time the water jets worked in YOLOPlaza? I'm sure if I bothered to go to the park more than once every few months I could find plenty more.

It's been a while, but to their credit, I wouldn't really want them on in the winter months anyway. If it were like USH, where they turn off the water effects in the winter season, I'd be fine with that.

It's been a while, but to their credit, I wouldn't really want them on in the winter months anyway. If it were like USH, where they turn off the water effects in the winter season, I'd be fine with that.

Also they were turned off during the drought. It's coming again...

They have been off the entire 3 years I have had a membership. No matter the season.

They have been off the entire 3 years I have had a membership. No matter the season.

You are so negative. They were on this past summer, and they always turn them off when it’s not summer. If you want water, go on Jet Stream which is still open.

You are so negative. They were on this past summer, and they always turn them off when it’s not summer. If you want water, go on Jet Stream which is still open.

He hates MM, i just gloss over whenever he posts about the park

Water jets won't make or break anybody's theme park day. What would make a huge difference is that build 15 flat rides in one year idea, but SFMM's maintenance budget and department are already stretched to where half the major coasters could be down on any given day. Piling on that much more at one time would be just about the last thing they'd want to do.

Trying to do too much with too few vastly underpaid people is one of those glaring deep seeded problems the park has.

I think there's a huge difference in expectations. MM is a very great park today and doing a lot better than they ever have for a long time now. If you're going to set yourself up for disappointment don't blame MM. They give you a great bang for your buck as opposed to the past where you felt like they took your money and you entered a park slowly deteriorating. The whole park could look lovely but if you're craving to find out which water jet isn't working on a cold winter, I honestly think that person will never like the park much no matter what they do. MM was ran to the ground at some point so that's their own faults, but I moved on from that cause I want to be happy. I just really don't see what there is to complain about unless you're just the kind of person that lets the past always affect their present.

If they were trying to be like Knotts, the same people would complain because there is no way it will ever be able to be on their level with the prices they are charging. I ask myself do I even want another "Knotts" park, and the answer is no. I want MM to be a great coaster park, and it's well on that way as they've literally been attacking every complaint heard about this place. Complain about the rattling on their originals coasters, well they fixed it. Complaints about abandoned areas & buildings, they've addressed in every land but two. Food options, well now we have two BBQ spots, Johnny Rockets, and a lovely new sports bar. Go with a family instead of alone, maybe some of you will really see the difference beyond coasters.

The only part I think that will be hard for them is the employees & operations, as these parks will always be filled with teens that just don't care much. I think it will always be consider a "training ground" for people to go to other themeparks. I'm not going to pretend like these issues will change dramatically.