TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I have not been to most of the Halloween Events listed as I prefer parties and West Hollywood. But I take Fright Fest at Magic Mountain above Knotts too and even it is just for the lines. Never go there again for Halloween. It was a horrible experience.

My brother and I always do KSF for Halloween and this year seemed a little lack luster. We did MM Fright Fest and for once I can say they were better than Knott's

WeHO for Halloween, now that is a must do! Got the costume ready and hitting the gym even harder to show so skin that night (LOL)!

I have not been to most of the Halloween Events listed as I prefer parties and West Hollywood. But I take Fright Fest at Magic Mountain above Knotts too and even it is just for the lines. Never go there again for Halloween. It was a horrible experience.

My brother and I always do KSF for Halloween and this year seemed a little lack luster. We did MM Fright Fest and for once I can say they were better than Knott's

WeHO for Halloween, now that is a must do! Got the costume ready and hitting the gym even harder to show so skin that night (LOL)!

HA HA! I am not showing skin in WeHo, but maybe we can meet up for a drink. Have a mini Tpr meet up

:lmao: Ok, that list is useless...

Anybody been at the park yesterday or today? I'm going on Thursday and hoping for light crowds like people saw last week.

Monday and Tuesday were very empty but busier than Wed as M & T all the local schools in the SCV were on fall break. The local Saugus ELEMENTARY schools are on break still all week but wont really impact the as those are just tiny kids.

Thursday should be a great day to have a ERT day and run of the park. No need to get here early as there wont be a crowd at all.

Yeah yesterday was a great day even with the limited hours. We got in the park a few minutes early with our gold passes and left the park at about 5:30 or so (park closed at 6 anyway). We made two laps around the park with a nice break at Full Throttle Bar in between and still got on every roller coaster other than Green Lantern and Scream, which we opted to skip out of preference, not time. Also rode Drop of Doom and tried out the new Justice League for the first time. I even rode Ninja which I haven't done in years. In all we spent 7 hours inside the park and got a total of 20 rides in without hustling at all plus we had a good hour break for lunch.

A few quick notes from our quick trip yesterday. (Didn't take any pictures)

Apocalypse is so much better than it was a year ago, but almost everything after the station flyby is starting to feel a bit rougher again. But it's at least re-rideable now and has the curved lap bars which is a big improvement.

We rode Twisted Colossus 4 times, twice in the morning and twice just before we left. The heat and/or a full train make such a big difference on this ride. It was noticeably faster and wilder later in the day, when it was warmed up and the train was full instead of having only 3-4 rows filled. It was also the first time I've seen that crew having a typical SFMM day, where everyone was just slowly walking around the station because the park was so dead.

Justice League is alright. I don't particularly get into those kinds of rides but I'd rather call turkeys at Holiday World than shoot Lexbots here. It would be nice if you could shoot things that aren't just on the screens and my gun didn't line up with the laser at all. The motion scenes were done well though and overall I think it's nice to see Six Flags installing these. But I wouldn't ride it again even with no line, unless it's 100+ degrees outside. But these just aren't really my thing.

The second raven turn on X2 is getting so bad. Two of the four people in my group hit their heads on the seats really hard on that part. I still love the ride though, it's so unique and intense and unlike anything else I've ever been on.

Everything else was about as you'd expect, and we all had a great time. I can't believe the park is going to be open 365 days next year after seeing how it was yesterday, but I'm excited to be able to head back on offseason weekdays for more days like this.

HA HA! I am not showing skin in WeHo, but maybe we can meet up for a drink. Have a mini Tpr meet up

Sounds good!

When I called the park I was told there's a $15 upcharge for X2 with the Platinum Flash Pass. I remember reading here that was no longer the case, though.
I got the gold flash pass last weekend. 1 reservation for x2 is included with Platinum (I remember clearly it started this on the ride board). Extra charge for gold. The website also says the same.

-- The free one time use flash pass card you get for buying the 2018 passes which is not good in October, x2 is the only restriction. Of course. Grr.

-- Additional bonus: with our season passes we got $10 off PER PERSON for both of us for a total of $20 off. Any other Six Flags park, and the description on the coupon, says you take off $5 per person for a total of $10 off for two. So that was a nice little bonus; even though the FP restrictions are terrible for Magic Mountain. Your milage may vary but it was actually a supervisor who put in the discount.

This page WAS accurate as of my visit last weekend:

https://www.sixflags.com/magicmountain/store/flash-passes

The page in the actual acesso online store is NOT accurate and needs to be updated. It has been wrong for months. There are a few incorrect pieces of info in there.

Trust me, I was researching the flash pass for a few months and visited the site every week ahead of my trip as things were changing quite a bit.

After having not gone to the park in almost a year (which is longer than usual for me), I think I'm going to try and go on Sunday the 22nd. Are there any ride closures, one train operations, etc. I should be worried about?

Also, I know everybody advocates to get Flash Pass if possible, but would it really be necessary that weekend? I don't plan on staying too far into the night since I don't care about Fright Fest and I've got to get up early the next morning. I just wanna ride all the coasters and check out Justice League--it's been a while.

Thanks in advance.

^ I think it's going to be much more difficult than you think it's going to be without a flash pass based on my experience last weekend. I'm not an expert on SFMM specifically but the closer to Halloween you get the worse it's going to be. I would 100% budget a flash pass for an October weekend. Unfortunately we didn't get there right at opening when I went so we lost some of the slow time, but even with a gold flash pass it was hard to get through everything when we started riding at noon.

Keep in mind it was our goal to do all the coasters, not just all the GOOD coasters. Since you've been before, you know what to skip out on. I just hate waiting in 30+ min lines personally, and from what I can tell every line we looked at was at LEAST that long and many were much, much, longer.

Good luck!

^Thanks for the info.

Hmm. If it's gonna be jammed, I probably won't bother going until a weekday in early January when they start operating daily. I'm only home from college for a few days that weekend, so I'm not gonna waste the time and money if I'm not gonna ride much, even with a Flash Pass, since I'm not going for any other reason. Glad I asked! Thanks again.

Went to the park yesteday from opening till 11ish and today from opening till noon since we had to driveback to Norcal. Yesterday the crowds were mild in the morning but around one that all changed and got way busier for fright fest. Today it looked like it was gonna be a more mild day since it was a sunday. I was able to ride everything I wanted besides Full Throttle but I've ridden that a few times by now so it's no biggy. Justice League is amazing even though on my first ride it stopped twice for a few seconds but besides that and one ride where the fire didn't work the ride is amazing and an awesome addition. X2 was bat shit crazy as always. The new paint on Riddlers is really neat looking as it dominates the back of the park. Terminator ohh whoops I mean Apocalypse still runs great and has pretty decent airtme for its size. The left over theming still is really neat especially the tow truck. Batman was intense as always and Superman still has one of my favorite launches as you feel the car getting faster as you go towards the end of the launch. Twisted Colossus was hauling ass but sadly didn't duel because of some issues on previous trains. The refurbed trains on Revolution did wonders and Tatsu backrow is bat shit intense in the pretzel loop. Aftermath 2 was insane at the beginning of the night as it was packed with actors but later in the night it wasn't as good. Toyz of Terror was really cool with the 3D and the tunnel makes you feel like ypu're on a major trip. Reds Revenge I foound pointless and overhyped. Chupacabra I found was short but sweet as you didn't know was 2 feet ahead as it was fog filled. Overall I had an amazing night and morning at the park!!!!!!

I noticed the park is open all this week. Any reason why? I'm trying to avoid crowds. Shooting for Thursday?? Monday was a holiday but why all the other days open?

Six flags is a going to be a year round park. Anyday Monday-Thur expect no lines unless it’s a holiday weekend or some special event. I think they extended weekly operating schedule this fall to test it

i went today. i guess the holiday was still going on for some schools. mostly jewish kids, but still plenty others. wasn't bad, but wasn't total walk on on everything. parking was about 1 and 1/4 full. but i think many more families and larger groups. apocalypse was closed so i still failed again at riding after the rework.

IMG_1152.thumb.JPG.0f5d0a43705b60e4ab44deaaef67aa93.JPG

one way to repair a handrail mount. lol

i went today. i guess the holiday was still going on for some schools. mostly jewish kids, but still plenty others. wasn't bad, but wasn't total walk on on everything. parking was about 1 and 1/4 full. but i think many more families and larger groups. apocalypse was closed so i still failed again at riding after the rework.

[attachment=0]IMG_1152.JPG[/attachment]

Hey JT, looks like a Goliath fix if I'm not mistaken

[attachment=0]IMG_1152.JPG[/attachment]

Hey JT, looks like a Goliath fix if I'm not mistaken

yeah, ed. lol

^ I went last Thursday (there was also no fright fest) and the park was dead. Single train ops on most rides and I walked on almost everything.

Was that a bring a friend free day?

Thinking about going Thursday too, since it's a baff day should it still be walk ons or just a little busier? 2 trains on TC or 1? X2 and Tatsu 1 trains?

^ I went last Thursday (there was also no fright fest) and the park was dead. Single train ops on most rides and I walked on almost everything.

Was that a bring a friend free day?

Thinking about going Thursday too, since it's a baff day should it still be walk ons or just a little busier? 2 trains on TC or 1? X2 and Tatsu 1 trains?

It was bring a friend free day. But since there are a number of those days and they're during the week it didn't seem to make a difference. TC had 2 trains and the ops were moving very slow (only notable because it's the first time I've ever seen them not running around in that station). X2 and Tatsu (and I think literally every other coaster) had 1 train and really didn't need more. I didn't see Green Lantern go once, but I assumed that's because everyone was avoiding it like I was.

One other thing I didn't mention before is Revolution is currently Revolution Classic, meaning no VR. According to a ride op they took off VR while they "switch the video". So I finally got my first ride on it since they redid the trains. Huge difference, of course.

One other thing I didn't mention before is Revolution is currently Revolution Classic, meaning no VR. According to a ride op they took off VR while they "switch the video". So I finally got my first ride on it since they redid the trains. Huge difference, of course.

YESSSSSS. I'll be out there next Monday, didn't get to ride it last year when I visited so I'm really looking forward to this sans VR. Thanks for the heads up!