TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

After all the speculation over the past few weeks, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the glaring omission from Thursday's announcements - Viper.

Many of us were hoping for a Viper refurbishment, but the lack of a Viper-related announcement leaves the coaster's future a mystery.

After all the speculation over the past few weeks, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the glaring omission from Thursday's announcements - Viper.

Many of us were hoping for a Viper refurbishment, but the lack of a Viper-related announcement leaves the coaster's future a mystery.

I am 100% happy with the way Viper is now, but I know the park is going to have to do something at some point to either keep the coaster around longer or make way for a new coaster.

To be honest, I really don't want the new Vekoma trains on this thing. Yes, they prevent head banging, but the really do compress on your chest/shoulders, and at least for me, that is more irritating than a quick little jolty moment on the ride. I really just want a fresh coat of paint, and maybe fewer ads!

I don't think they have enough reason to re-do it after how Colossus and Revolution were so successful. Colossus they basically made a new ride, Revolution had the VR to gather a crowd. New trains won't make it an hour wait like Revolution long term. Please no VR on Viper either, rather just take it out for a new ride. Because a new ride will guarantee they get the return on investment. But who knows Bonnie must be paying attention to this page as the last few years the suggestions by us actually have come true.

I do not think Bonnie reads here, but sure someone from her team is. She has been with the park her entire adult life, so she knows what's right and what has to be adressed and improved.

Yeah, despite some opinions here, she's handling this park exactly how it should be being done. Once section at a time.

"After all the speculation over the past few weeks, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the glaring omission from Thursday's announcements - Viper.

Many of us were hoping for a Viper refurbishment, but the lack of a Viper-related announcement leaves the coaster's future a mystery."

I don't believe they are going to get rid of Viper. I think they are waiting to drop the bomb with the 20th coaster in 2020 as previous posters have stated. Cedar point is catching up with 17 coasters in 2018 once Steel Vengeance opens up. If they were to get rid of Viper, that would leave them with either 18, or 19 coasters if it was replaced.

Personally, I hope they do not replace the coaster, but I do hope they make it a smoother experience. I'm not an insider, so I have no clue with what will happen. I just know that I'm super happy with the direction that SFMM has been going in the last few years.

I agree 100%, she is doing a great job and the park looks fresh. Only parts missing is pretty much the area on top and the old cyclone area which I am sure will be next with coaster #20 in 2020. No way they let that tagline go unused,lol

That's still a big chunk of the park...from jet stream on. And the whole upper portion.

The other problem is that just refurbishing a section for its opening year and then not maintaining it afterwards. Facades in DC section still worn down, just harder to see with lights left up all year. YOLOCoaster water feature doesn't work anymore and painted cement totally faded. The list could go on and on.-

She's not doing anything different than any other SFMM park president.

But again, it's SFMM. As I said, for $7/month, I come in and ride a few rides and head out. It isn't worth complaining over because it's such a good value I don't even care.

Also, RE viper...wouldn't be surprised to see them announce midway through the year it's closing to celebrate last rides. Just think they took a year off from heavy capital investment. Don't think it's an accident knotts is pushing "first dive coaster" in their marketing

I agree 100%, she is doing a great job and the park looks fresh. Only parts missing is pretty much the area on top and the old cyclone area which I am sure will be next with coaster #20 in 2020. No way they let that tagline go unused,lol

But again, it's SFMM. As I said, for $7/month, I come in and ride a few rides and head out. It isn't worth complaining over because it's such a good value I don't even care.

Add the new 365 day operating schedule, and that value increases to people in your situation. Lots of possible low attendance days to get a lot of rides in.

here was trash everywhere, multiple rides weren't running, multiple areas were just run down and seemed abandoned, we encountered some of the most rude staff members we've ever encountered, we saw crowds of unruly teens

I have been going to SFMM since 1989 and never see "trash all over the place" Maybe you should be more detailed in your posts. What areas seem run down, what rides look to be abandoned as neither of that would come to my mind when I am at the park. Teens tend to be unruly sometimes, what did they do and how is that SFMM fault?

Jesus, why do you care so much about my opinion of the park? No, I don't care to elaborate even further. It was five years ago and it's on the other side of the country. I changed my opinion. It's my new favorite park and always has been. It's the crown jewel of the f***ing world and I know nothing about amusement parks or my own personal enjoyment of them.

here was trash everywhere, multiple rides weren't running, multiple areas were just run down and seemed abandoned, we encountered some of the most rude staff members we've ever encountered, we saw crowds of unruly teens

I have been going to SFMM since 1989 and never see "trash all over the place" Maybe you should be more detailed in your posts. What areas seem run down, what rides look to be abandoned as neither of that would come to my mind when I am at the park. Teens tend to be unruly sometimes, what did they do and how is that SFMM fault?

Jesus, why do you care so much about my opinion of the park? No, I don't care to elaborate even further. It was five years ago and it's on the other side of the country. I changed my opinion. It's my new favorite park and always has been. It's the crown jewel of the f***ing world and I know nothing about amusement parks or my own personal enjoyment of them.

DoykTfE.gif

I won't touch on the state of the park in general, other than to say that when I was last there in fall of 2015, the park was in the best shape I've seen it since visiting in '04 for my first time (Scream was the new attraction at that point). Employees, aesthetics, operations, etc. Still left a lot to be desired, but I can't envision a park like SFMM ever growing above a 4/5 in these departments with the current corporate restrictions they have to operate under. Hypothetically if they left Six Flag's ownership and became their own independent park, I could see these issues being rapidly resolved. But I digress...

What I really wanted to point out, why can't Viper get THESE kind of trains?! Of course it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis especially factoring in the age/wear and tear of the steel structure...however....I think Viper with these trains would kick total ass.

^ Funiculars railways are unsung heroes of many parks and world wide attractions and countries that use them for steep access via transport.

Glad to see it's still in operation. I used it several times during last Sept.'s West Coast bash and would've died if I had to trek all around the park, without it.

SFMM... never let this useful attraction ever ever die! It's a most important part of your park, and I am sure many more people

appreciate it than they let on.

B04_FunicularDog_WondRaku.jpg.1fd9560bf70c6833a1b9292321299746.jpg

You had to ride this to get up to the park! Wonder Rakku Park, Japan. TPR 2011 Japan Tour.

I had a regular membership for a few years at $7/month. Was planning to cancel that to upgrade to gold with the current flash sale. On the second "special offer" they gave me while cancelling, they upgraded my pass to gold and lowered it to $4/month. For $48/year I can visit any Six Flags park in the world (including free parking now), and that now includes SFMM every day of the year. I'm not going to complain at the value I'm getting for that. Lol

So, I got to thinking about when they start construction for Crazanity and the whole Boardwalk re-theme from "Guess Your Weight" to Scrambler. Any idea if they are going to completely shut down that area of the park during construction or are they going to do it in sections so guests can still pass through the area?

So, I got to thinking about when they start construction for Crazanity and the whole Boardwalk re-theme from "Guess Your Weight" to Scrambler. Any idea if they are going to completely shut down that area of the park during construction or are they going to do it in sections so guests can still pass through the area?

I can't imagine that it'd take that long to assemble the ride, to be honest. And I assume that they'll just funnel people through some makeshift pathway for a while as they renovate. They couldn't close that pathway altogether as it's kind of critical to getting around the mountain.

I can't imagine that it'd take that long to assemble the ride, to be honest. And I assume that they'll just funnel people through some makeshift pathway for a while as they renovate. They couldn't close that pathway altogether as it's kind of critical to getting around the mountain.

I imagine too they can't totally block it. They will block one side of the rides at a time. I would say they could reasphalt or paint the floor in a day or two as painting isn't much work.

Where exactly is the ride going? I thought someone shared an email from Bonnie but I can't find it. Was it removed?

Where exactly is the ride going? I thought someone shared an email from Bonnie but I can't find it. Was it removed?

It's where that old monorail station is — kind of buried in the trees right across from Tidal Wave. I'm not sure how it's going to fit in there to be honest as that's a pretty steep slope and they'll have to clear out quite a bit of greenery. That is, of course, unless it's positioned in a way where the struts jut out into the walkway? Either way, it looks like it'll swing very close to Superman's launch.

EDIT: Actually, looking at footprints of similar rides at CP and KI, the footprint really isn't that big.

It's where that old monorail station is — kind of buried in the trees right across from Tidal Wave. I'm not sure how it's going to fit in there to be honest as that's a pretty steep slope and they'll have to clear out quite a bit of greenery. That is, of course, unless it's positioned in a way where the struts jut out into the walkway? Either way, it looks like it'll swing very close to Superman's launch.

EDIT: Actually, looking at footprints of similar rides at CP and KI, the footprint really isn't that big.

Zamperla's Giant Discovery is quite a bit larger than the Huss Gaint Frisbees that CP and KI have.

A normal Giant Discovery has a footprint of 122' x 82' (the one at SFMM will be larger than this)

A Huss Giant Frisbee has a footprint of only 79' by 49'

They may be planning to excavate