TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Ending up buying the gold pass and dining at SFMM... 5 minutes later I get a code from SFGAM (pass I bought last year) with the renewal price code. I didn't realize it would work on a different parks page but when I made a second fake order it worked to save even more money. Oh well.

SFMM is also selling the all season flash pass for $299 good for the rest of this year as well. That's an awesome deal for locals considering they will be open 365.

You can also add a single day haunt pass for the flash sale for 16.99 if adding on to your pass.

So I spent a lot of money, but... looking forward to my first SFMM trip in about 13 years!

Edit: can anyone who processed their pass already shed some light on the one time use skip the line pass? Restrictions on the ride? Dates it can be used?

don't feel bad about missing the promo code. I didn't even have a 2017 pass this year and for some reason six flags gave me one in the SFDK newsletter about the park and it's 2018 ride. however I heard from a user on SlickDeals that the code only knocked a dollar off the season pass for them as opposed to "new" customers.

Man, I'm super jealous. Awesome addition. When I visited this park five years ago it was a dump. However, there seem to have been many improvements and refurbishments since then. I'm anxious to give the park another try in a few years.

Edited by prozach626

Man, I'm super jealous. Awesome addition. When I visited this park five years ago it was a dump. However, there seem to have been many improvements and refurbishments since them. I'm anxious to give the park another try in a few years.

it's just less of a dump now.

Man, I'm super jealous. Awesome addition. When I visited this park five years ago it was a dump. However, there seem to have been many improvements and refurbishments since them. I'm anxious to give the park another try in a few years.

Yeah. I've been super proud of Six Flags lately, not just Magic Mountain, but the whole chain. At a lot of their parks they've really been updating old areas that didn't get a lot of foot traffic and they've made them great again (Jim Reid Anderson for CEO 2018). Like at Six Flags Great Adventure they added the Justice League dark ride to the Old Country area and now they are adding Cyborg Cyber Spin to that area and its given people a reason to go to that section of the park. Six Flags Magic Mountain updated the Scream Punk area, did updates to the Revolution, they added a dark ride to Gotham and repainted Riddler, now they are adding the Boardwalk section. And this one doesn't get a whole lot of attention but Six Flags St. Louis has been updating the Chouteau's Market area of the park by removing Hannibarrels and replacing it with Tsunami Soaker, then this year they added in Spinsanity and repainted the Chevy show building. And then Six Flags Over Texas updated their Gotham section by adding in some awesome flat rides, a coaster, and now an awesome new and unique flat ride.

Hi everyone. Can you please tell me which rides currently offer single rider?

I would love to, as that is my favorite subject! I'll go in order of benefit from greatest to least:

Riddler's Revenge - Walk up the exit and head towards the flash pass entrance but before you get there, right before you turn the corner to see the lockers, on your right is a nondescript door with a dark stairway. It leads up to the front of the loading platform. Just wave to let an operator know you're there and most of the time you get on the current train, occasionally in rare cases you may wait one more train. No matter how long the standby line is it's virtually always a walk-on.

Green Lantern - Walk up the exit and look for the single rider sign that leads right up to the main dispatching ride operator. Please be respectful and don't yell at or startle the operator since you will be right behind him, but let them know you are there and they will load you the next chance they get. I usually wait 5-10 minutes. You actually tend to wait less on busier days because on busier days there are more large groups of 3 or 5 that don't evenly load into the cars. On slow days when it's lots of singles and pairs, there's less empty seats.

Lex Luthor - When the ride is busy (and actually only when it's busy - otherwise they don't use the single rider line) you walk up towards the exit and there is a very small que to wait at on the left..it's hard to describe exactly where it is, so you might have to ask an employee if you aren't sure. Kinda like Green Lantern, wait times can be 5-15 min or more because of the large number of seats on the gondolas there aren't as many empty seats, but the good news is that when you do load via the single rider line you're almost always on the outside seat.

Revolution - No longer has a proper single rider line, but occasionally they will solicit single riders from the front of the line, especially if you aren't using VR.

Viper - Reportedly there's a single rider line if you walk up the exit, but since there's never a standby line for Viper, I have no idea why it exists and have never had the need to use it.

Viper - Reportedly there's a single rider line if you walk up the exit, but since there's never a standby line for Viper, I have no idea why it exists and have never had the need to use it.

When I got to the park in July (first time since 1999) I went to Viper first. Station wait with a few peeps on the stairs, no biggie. After the line wasn't budging I found out they were only loading one train as the 2nd had a protein spill. (Where is the 3rd train, btw?) Anyway... every time the protein train would come in, they would look at for a bit and hover around the car that had the spill. They would sometimes spray some Fabuloso in it (or was it all the AXE products I detected around me?), slam the harnesses down and run it through again. After doing this several times, they finally loaded that train. What really caught me was the hovering over the protein seat between runs. They would stand around and stare at it, as if it were something they had never seen before and were absolutely clueless as to what to do about it. And the amount of time this took them, as the operational train would always be stacked. And the number of times they went through this routine. Have a six flags day.

Had I known there was a properly functioning single rider line, I would have used it. But that would have been a huge gamble and potential waste of time and walking. It's funny (frustrating) that many six flags parks have the same... how shall we say - quirks.

Where's a cool place to hang out in the park? If you had to spend a day at MM and you could not ride any rides, how would you spend your day?

The Sky Tower when it's open, The FT Sports Bar, Kwerk Theatre, Food Etc. are all good places to cool off. The Dole Whips at Food Etc. are surprisingly good compared with the rest of the food at MM.

Where's a cool place to hang out in the park? If you had to spend a day at MM and you could not ride any rides, how would you spend your day?

It's kind of the wrong park for anything non-ride related. I mean, there are others things to do there, but unless you're going to ride the big rides, there's not that much going on. Whereas places like Knotts maintain a good balance for all ages and abilities, SFMM is about 80% extreme rides and doesn't really cater that well to non-extreme stuff. I mean, there's Justice League, and (as opposed to a couple of previous comments), the place is very clean and quite scenic, but getting around is kind of a slog. The restaurants are probably the best option to sit down and cool off, and there are plenty of covered areas in and around the actual mountain itself with plenty of foliage (by Tatsu, Goliath, Swashbuckler, Batman, Goldrusher, Ninja etc.) I think there's some musical theatre-type stuff that happens throughout the day (by Twisted Colossus, Golden Bear Theatre etc.), but you have to have the stomach for musical theatre.

The park was never a dump

I agree... I've only been there twice, to be fair, but neither time did I come away feeling this way about the park! It's not as aesthetically pretty as some Six Flags parks, or CF parks, but has some pretty unique charmin parts of the park, I thought.

Well then let me rephrase and say in OUR opinion we thought it was a dump, and we will always remember is as looking like a dump in 2012.

That's just ridiculous. I mean if you're comparing it to DLR or something, then your expectations for a Six Flags park are out of whack. The only time the park could really could be considered a dump would be maybe in the 90s due to the quality of guest in the park during those years, but certainly not in 2012.

Well then let me rephrase and say in OUR opinion we thought it was a dump, and we will always remember is as looking like a dump in 2012.

That's just ridiculous. I mean if you're comparing it to DLR or something, then your expectations for a Six Flags park are out of whack. The only time the park could really could be considered a dump would be maybe in the 90s due to the quality of guest in the park during those years, but certainly not in 2012.

this is what i do. i keep my expectations low.

The Sky Tower when it's open, The FT Sports Bar, Kwerk Theatre, Food Etc. are all good places to cool off. The Dole Whips at Food Etc. are surprisingly good compared with the rest of the food at MM.

The Sky Tower hasn't been open for years, and unless things have changed, isn't likely to open again in the near future. I've pretty much written it off.

I do agree their Dole Whips are a big "secret". It's the same as Disney, without the insane wait.

I agree... I've only been there twice, to be fair, but neither time did I come away feeling this way about the park! It's not as aesthetically pretty as some Six Flags parks, or CF parks, but has some pretty unique charmin parts of the park, I thought.

Apparently, the toilet paper there was pretty unique, according to my report from earlier... (Methinks working nights and then staying up all day on Friday is getting the better of me! )