TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The park was never a dump

Well then let me rephrase and say in OUR opinion we thought it was a dump, and we will always remember is as looking like a dump in 2012.

That's just ridiculous. I mean if you're comparing it to DLR or something, then your expectations for a Six Flags park are out of whack. The only time the park could really could be considered a dump would be maybe in the 90s due to the quality of guest in the park during those years, but certainly not in 2012.

Prozach is not reaching with his opinion here. And trust me, he would not compare it to a Disney park. If you took the time to read through his posts you would know that Disney parks are not his cup of tea. Yes, SFMM is definitely moving in the right direction. But it was far from being a nice park for a very long time. So, enjoy your rose colored glasses. Prozach is dead on in his analysis.

It's almost like people have different opinions!

The park has had it's ups and downs over the years, but I never felt it was a "dump" - but, gasp, that's my opinion. Things like the Metro station, and (sadly) now the tower, being SBNO for a long time has always been puzzling to me. Hell, Flashback sat there for quite awhile, too.

I guess when I look at the admission/pass price, I just have a different bar set. The park was nicely plotted on the hill, and that along makes for a unique experience ... even with dilapidated areas and bathroom issues. I've been in parks (that I've never seen labeled "dumps") where similar conditions exist.

Exciting email from the park president, btw. It does sound like they're pointing in the right direction with the refurb/addition, hopeful they can keep it going!

There is a new beergarden now too where one can rest across from Goldrusher. Personally, I always felt the park was clean and nice looking and it certainly improved over the years. I think some people just complain because they think it is cool to do so. I had a bad time at CP as they close all rides when a drop of rain is falling, but you do not see me complaining about it for years to come like some people here.

People know it costs a park a bunch of money to install new rides and structures. People forget it also costs a decent amount of money to remove them. By incorporating the cost of removing a structure in with the cost of building a new project, the demolition can bring some return on the investment.

The park was never a dump

Well then let me rephrase and say in OUR opinion we thought it was a dump, and we will always remember is as looking like a dump in 2012.

That's just ridiculous. I mean if you're comparing it to DLR or something, then your expectations for a Six Flags park are out of whack. The only time the park could really could be considered a dump would be maybe in the 90s due to the quality of guest in the park during those years, but certainly not in 2012.

I have very realistic expectations, thank you very much. We went for one day. There was trash everywhere, multiple rides weren't running, multiple areas were just run down and seemed abandoned, we encountered some of the most rude staff members we've ever encountered, we saw crowds of unruly teens, and we probably had one of the worst days at an amusement park we've ever had. Hence my very own personal non ridiculous opinion that the place was a dump. Despite being optimistic and stoked to be at the park, it lived up to many of the complaints I had heard at the time. You can disagree all you want, but there's no reason to mock my opinion based on the experience of two very down to earth people. We both left early and had no desire to go back anytime soon. I knew from talking to other enthusiasts at the time that my opinion of the park was not unique.

As I said before, the park seems to have made many positive changes over the past few years by refurbishing rides and areas. This leads me to believe that they obviously recognized that several areas of the park in fact needed these updates. I'm very glad that SFMM has jumped on board with other Six Flags parks to improve the overall guest experience. I like where the Six Flags chain as a whole is headed. Even despite my very terrible experience, where I developed my very own opinion of the park, the recent updates make me want to eventually give SFMM another try. If the park has always been viewed as perfect in your eyes, then so be it. I'm entitled to my difference of opinion and that should not offend you. There was no intent to offend anyone. Had I known people were going to be so touchy I would have never made the harmless comment, regardless of the fact that it was meant to be positive toward the park.

It's almost like people have different opinions!

Indeed.

Honestly, I am happy to see the that they are moving around the park, targeting areas that have been abandoned and crappy for years. It is the best approach to what must have been a daunting looking task at it's beginning. We all know the park was ignored and rundown looking throughout he early 2000s to the point where by 2006, some thought it wasn't worth saving.

Kudos to Bonnie and Co, who recognized what an untapped gem this park is and are piece by piece, bringing the park back to life. They aren't going to please everyone with their decisions, but they also aren't sitting on their asses doing nothing but installing temporary coaster fixes either. That approach DID NOT WORK.

Oh, and the move to daily operations is an awesome move imo. Now the park can host all kinds of off season special events and hire permanent staff.

Since SFMM won't get a new coaster until at least 2019 or beyond, this will be the longest period the park has gone without a new coaster in more than 30 years!!! I don't mind if the park foregoes coaster building for a few more years if they install more BIG flat rides, CrayZanity (that name ) is a great start.

Since SFMM won't get a new coaster until at least 2019 or beyond, this will be the longest period the park has gone without a new coaster in more than 30 years!!! I don't mind if the park foregoes coaster building for a few more years if they install more BIG flat rides, CrayZanity (that name ) is a great start.

I don't know why people make fun of that name so much. I think it is kind of cute. Although I don't think they were going for cute when they thought of that name. I would love to see like a tilt-a-whirl or Chance wipeout/freestyle with that name.

here was trash everywhere, multiple rides weren't running, multiple areas were just run down and seemed abandoned, we encountered some of the most rude staff members we've ever encountered, we saw crowds of unruly teens

I have been going to SFMM since 1989 and never see "trash all over the place" Maybe you should be more detailed in your posts. What areas seem run down, what rides look to be abandoned as neither of that would come to my mind when I am at the park. Teens tend to be unruly sometimes, what did they do and how is that SFMM fault?

He could have meant the trash cans overflowing for example in the first parking lot by the tram spot years ago and other trash cans for that matter weren't kept as clean as nowadays and the bathrooms weren't as clean. Maybe you just went on a busy day that had alot of trash too. But yeah if you have only been there twice ever or visit once every 5 years you can't say it's a dump overall as you have no sample size on seeing it like that multiple visits.

He could have meant the trash cans overflowing for example in the first parking lot by the tram spot years ago and other trash cans for that matter weren't kept as clean as nowadays and the bathrooms weren't as clean. Maybe you just went on a busy day that had alot of trash too. But yeah if you have only been there twice ever or visit once every 5 years you can't say it's a dump overall as you have no sample size on seeing it like that multiple visits.

Damn, I had blocked those overflowing trash cans covered in bees from my mind. They were gross.

Since SFMM won't get a new coaster until at least 2019 or beyond...

I get this feeling that we could see one of ABC Ride's Tourbillon coming to SFMM for 2019!

YES! I would love that! I would love if they put it in the Scream Punk District in that entrance plaza of Scream. To the right of the entrance there is a big open space of just black top and they could put it there and give it like a gear theme. Or there is a patch of trees/open land right in front of the loop of Riddler's Revenge and to the left of Tidal Wave. They could put it there and give it the Harley Quinn's Spinsanity theme.

I'm at the park twice a month or so....well, the sky tower and all tge buildings on samurai summit look abandoned, the old monorail station looks abandoned, the bottom station of the (dragon express?) People mover looks abandoned, pretty much the whole area of cyclone bay looks neglected...borderline abandoned, not to mention the time i went to use the bathroom and there was poop all over the floor, the staff is rude for the most part, even my girl Said she was shocked how friendly Knotts employees were the first time we were there in comparison...i went last Sunday with my buddy from out of town and there were some trashy, thug looking people shamelessly smoking a huge joint right there in the smoking section next to the bathrooms by Tatsu....MM is a dump. Oh yeah, trash? Anywhere fenced off where your not allowed to go, Like under rides or around cues, there's plenty of it

I'm at the park twice a month or so....well, the sky tower and all tge buildings on samurai summit look abandoned, the old monorail station looks abandoned, the bottom station of the (dragon express?) People mover looks abandoned, pretty much the whole area of cyclone bay looks neglected...borderline abandoned, not to mention the time i went to use the bathroom and there was poop all over the floor, the staff is rude for the most part, even my girl Said she was shocked how friendly Knotts employees were the first time we were there in comparison...i went last Sunday with my buddy from out of town and there were some trashy, thug looking people shamelessly smoking a huge joint right there in the smoking section next to the bathrooms by Tatsu....MM is a dump. Oh yeah, trash? Anywhere fenced off where your not allowed to go, Like under rides or around cues, there's plenty of it

i particularly like the long strip of gum people throw over the rail in line at YOLO myself. LOL

Those little things might seem funny, but they summarize exactly why SFMM has a LONG way to go. Do employees or management not care enough to take care of these things before they become a problem?

Me personally, my first impression of the park every single time is always bad: the trash cans in the parking lot and walkway to the park are ALWAYS full and look like they haven't been washed or replaced in 15 years. They are beat up, missing the flaps, and covered in grime.

My last visit, the dirt area next to the ramp into Justice League preshow was full of trash. Aside from the fact that looks like it was supposed to be plants there that they didn't bother to plant, the fact that there isn't enough care for them to have a very visible area of their brand new ride kept clean of trash also sums up the park quite well...

All that aside, I laugh about these things, but don't let it impact me anymore. I just show up, ride a few rides, and get the heck out. But if I was a first time visitor paying full price, I would be shocked.

Those little things might seem funny, but they summarize exactly why SFMM has a LONG way to go. Do employees or management not care enough to take care of these things before they become a problem?

Me personally, my first impression of the park every single time is always bad: the trash cans in the parking lot and walkway to the park are ALWAYS full and look like they haven't been washed or replaced in 15 years. They are beat up, missing the flaps, and covered in grime.

My last visit, the dirt area next to the ramp into Justice League preshow was full of trash. Aside from the fact that looks like it was supposed to be plants there that they didn't bother to plant, the fact that there isn't enough care for them to have a very visible area of their brand new ride kept clean of trash also sums up the park quite well...

All that aside, I laugh about these things, but don't let it impact me anymore. I just show up, ride a few rides, and get the heck out. But if I was a first time visitor paying full price, I would be shocked.

this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. especially that first impression walking in from the parking lot.

i particularly like the long strip of gum people throw over the rail in line at YOLO myself. LOL

OMG EEWWWWW! What part of the rail in line (near station, the queue further back, etc?) Hopefully it doesn't compare to the gum wall in Seattle.

Are we forgetting that the majority of people that come to MM are teenagers. We shouldn't be that shocked. MM should have a position of Gum Scraper and Trash emptier on the payroll. Otherwise we should expect more class from these teenagers and not blame it all on MM. Even if they would scrape off the gum twice a day there would be some. Almost Impossible to have it always clean unless you make a rule like line cutting for gum placing and enforce it. But yeah MM should at least clean it a few times a week, some spots like on the gold rusher first ramp some look like it's been weeks since cleaned. But then again how many people cycle thru there every hour. I agree with Jew, they have the best rides in the world, we can get used to a little mess and not let it affect our day. The dispatch times on rides should be the most concerning.

OMG EEWWWWW! What part of the rail in line (near station, the queue further back, etc?) Hopefully it doesn't compare to the gum wall in Seattle.

lol, it's over the rail on the ramp up. just look over sometime. thankfully, the public can't touch it. it's kind of like the areas on The Beast and Diamondback where people throw their vinyl wristband things, but with gum, SFMM style. haha

i believe they finally keep somewhat clean the goldrusher gum support up the first lift on the left. the Goliath gum wall is pretty clean now compared to years past going up the steps to the station. so maybe they are making an effort? lol

This is about how it is for me also. I know what to expect and I know that I'm just going for some great rides, nothing more. And with the current cost of the Six Flags membership, I'm ok with that. I'm interested to see how my girlfriend reacts on her first visit to the park next month.

Yep, I wasn't complaining so much just pointing out the "dumpiness" to those wearing rose colored glasses and someone back there asked for examples, I am also aware that under Bonnies control the park has been improving a LOT from MM of the 90's, keep it up it's slot of land and we understand you cant fix the whole park all at once..i too go to the park, often, know it is what it is and have a great time riding some kick @$$ rollercoasters....Crazanity will ve an awesome addition and probably one of the best rides at the park, can't wait for Frightfest or midweek school days next year, hope it works out financially for them