TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was kinda hoping for a full flat ride package, ala SFOT last year with a Troika, Endeavor, and Giant Frisbee.

I think you mean two years ago. Last year SFOT got Joker (S&S 4D Freespin).

Well, it's still only August 2017. I think saying they got the flat package last year is a fair statement...

I was kinda hoping for a full flat ride package, ala SFOT last year with a Troika, Endeavor, and Giant Frisbee.

I think you mean two years ago. Last year SFOT got Joker (S&S 4D Freespin).

Well, it's still only August 2017. I think saying they got the flat package last year is a fair statement...

Quite right. Chronologically, Joker was opened earlier this year. But the announcement was made last August, whereas the flat ride package was announced two years ago. So I guess it depends on how you look at it.

From Bonnie in an employee email about the new ride...

In addition to CraZanity, and in keeping with our master plan of refurbishing areas of the Park into WOW Zones, we are introducing our next newly-themed area called The Boardwalk, which spans from “Guess your Weight” up to the Restrooms next to Scrambler. In addition to this craZy new intense thrill ride, The Boardwalk will take on the feel of a quintessential beachfront fun zone and feature a totally redone and enhanced Bumper Cars with lights, music and a new building facade where our guests will actually see the action from the midway. Yes, we’re breaking down the walls and opening up the fun just as you’d see on any classic seaside boardwalk. Plus, renovated Johnny Rockets, a new snack stand and pub, and a refurbished Center Ring games promenade with a giant (and I mean giant) new Soccer Kick attraction to round out the new area. CraZanity will be located across the midway from Tidal Wave where the old Metro station currently stands (finally say goodbye to that old structure – demolition begins this Fall). Speaking of Tidal Wave, the water attraction and Scrambler will also get a much-deserved facelift.

That is great news to hear that the area will get a boost. I love the idea of having a traditional carnival setting within large amusement parks, but attempts to do so often come off a bit sloppy. That space at SFMM with the carnival games always looks a bit depressing to me, so linking it to the new Justice League area will make that section of the park less of a thoroughfare and more of a destination. Hopefully, the area over by Apocalypse will be next as that part needs a lot of work.

I've been a fan of the Giant Discovery ever since riding Kennywood's version several years ago. Excited to have yet another one in California.

Does anyone else think that 172 ft height is really just 172 ft "combined" if you take into account the height at the base of the ride vs the base of the Boardwalk area? Thinking this might be the case. Kind of like how SFDK's Skywarp is advertised as 70mph combined if you take into account the speed of both trains. Unless Zamperla has designed a new version for SFMM..

AFAIK, Zamperla has only produced one version of the Giant Discovery 40 that tops out at 147 ft on a full swing:

http://www.zamperla.com/products/giant-discovery/

I've been a fan of the Giant Discovery ever since riding Kennywood's version several years ago. Excited to have yet another one in California.

Does anyone else think that 172 ft height is really just 172 ft "combined" if you take into account the height at the base of the ride vs the base of the Boardwalk area? Thinking this might be the case. Kind of like how SFDK's Skywarp is advertised as 70mph combined if you take into account the speed of both trains. Unless Zamperla has designed a new version for SFMM..

AFAIK, Zamperla has only produced one version of the Giant Discovery 40 that tops out at 147 ft on a full swing:

http://www.zamperla.com/products/giant-discovery/

No, I'm pretty sure this will be a new model that is actually swings all the way up to 172ft. The model going into SFNE is the 147ft model, and all of the info coming out specifically says that this will be the world's tallest pendulum ride. I don't think they could make that claim if it was simply the 147ft model that they put on the side of a hill. But then again, SF claims that Super Loops are coasters, so it wouldn't be the first time their marketing dept. pulled a fast one on us.

That is great news to hear that the area will get a boost. I love the idea of having a traditional carnival setting within large amusement parks, but attempts to do so often come off a bit sloppy. That space at SFMM with the carnival games always looks a bit depressing to me, so linking it to the new Justice League area will make that section of the park less of a thoroughfare and more of a destination.

The midway was also the most "dead" during Haunt when I last attended. I kept hearing the operators saying "yo, any zombies wanna scare my line!?" There was just nothing, and during hot days (like the dog days we're having now), the area seems like a ghost town. Maybe they can draw a little more traffic with some of these refurbs/additions.

As part of the Flash Sale going on right now, you can get the All Season Flash Pass for $299. It's a gold level flash pass and it's good for the rest of 2017 and all of 2018. I'm very tempted to get this as I could use it several times this year and a ton next year due to the 365 day operating schedule.

Its also only holds the same amount (40) as the other Discovery Models... you would think that since it's claimed to be bigger that it would hold a few more. The HUSS ones hold 50. Regardless... great ride for the park.

I wonder if SFMM's model will be the same ride hardware as other installations, except programmed to swing slightly higher. That would account for the marginal height and speed increase, since the 147/172 ft heights don't refer to the structure itself, just the maximum height of the swing.

I wonder if SFMM's model will be the same ride hardware as other installations, except programmed to swing slightly higher. That would account for the marginal height and speed increase, since the 147/172 ft heights don't refer to the structure itself, just the maximum height of the swing.

In that case any of the other Discovery's could easily be programed the same way. I can't wait till this thing gets built just to see what's going on.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Ending up buying the gold pass and dining at SFMM... 5 minutes later I get a code from SFGAM (pass I bought last year) with the renewal price code. I didn't realize it would work on a different parks page but when I made a second fake order it worked to save even more money. Oh well.

SFMM is also selling the all season flash pass for $299 good for the rest of this year as well. That's an awesome deal for locals considering they will be open 365.

You can also add a single day haunt pass for the flash sale for 16.99 if adding on to your pass.

So I spent a lot of money, but... looking forward to my first SFMM trip in about 13 years!

Edit: can anyone who processed their pass already shed some light on the one time use skip the line pass? Restrictions on the ride? Dates it can be used?

It is awesome that Magic Mountain is also refurbishing the Scrambler and Tidal Wave! The park is slowly making its way to the top of my Six Flags bucket list! These past few years have been great for Magic Mountain! Twisted Colosssus, a complete refurbishment of that one area into the Screampunk District, a complete refurbishment of the Revolution, a new (air conditioned) dark ride, a new thrill ride (an amazing one at that), a new themed area, updated dodgem cars, and a few refurbished rides. I am actually super happy with every addition at every Six Flags park this year.

I like this addition to the park for sure. I think this is all setting up for a large coaster in 2019. Between going fully year round and slowly renovating areas of the park they are getting ready for the crowds that Star Wars land will be bringing to so cal. The rumors of Viper getting demolished for a dive coaster are really starting to sound truer and truer. 2019 for their 19th coaster and Cedar Fair pulled a reverse Wonder Woman by advertising Hangtime as the first west coast Dive Coaster in anticipation for what SFMM is going to do. All speculation but sounds good lol

If the height refers to the top of the swing then it's not the tallest by a longshot. Spin Cycle at Silverwood reaches 191 feet.

SpinCycle reaches 104 feet high...not 191.

www.silverwoodthemepark.com/rides/spincycle.php

scd2.JPG.fe6dca783f3081f509cce355590710f5.JPG

https://www.sbfrides.com/en/product/791/no-code/MAXI-DANCE-PARTY-360-33Mt-.html

scd.JPG.b2843cdde9772cd739617bb9611ca12a.JPG

31.6 meters= 103.67 feet which they round to 104.

This is a great addition for SFMM, I took one of these rides at a fun fair in Germany and the Airtime surprised me. It was crazy, so I can only imagine what this ride will offer. I also like that since Bonnie came on board the park is updating the areas around a new ride. The park looks fresh and for sure nothing like 10 years ago. Basically the only area missing now is the old cyclone area and the top of the hill which I am sure will be adressed in the years to come.

I love these flat rides. So happy SixFlags is installing them in their parks. I hope Over Georgia gets one as well in the future. Great job SFMM. The new area looks to be a breath of fresh air.

Question. Looking at one of the photos, could it be that this giant discovery is of normal size and that the added height is because it looks to be situated at a higher elevation than the actual midway? The entrance to the ride starts off with stairs and what looks to be ramps to walk up to the station.