TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Super jealous. Looks great. Worst name ever though. It's like they had a list of the dumbest names they could think of and picked the dumbest one out of that list. Ah well, still looks great!

I've already forgotten the name, without going back to look at it!

I do know, however, that this is a fantastic addition for Magic Mountain, and I love the surmised location! Assuming it's replacing the abandoned monorail station, which it appears to be, it'll already be elevated, and then with its record breaking height, will be visible on the upswing to those on Samurai Summit, which will be cool to see from up there, and it will simply tower over the new boardwalk area below, and look even more impressive! This addition was a definite home run for the park, forgettable (and regrettable) name notwithstanding!

Great addition!!! The ride appears to be a Zamperla Giant Discovery. I wasn't aware that Zamperla had come out with a larger model than the ones at SFOT, La Ronde and SFDK. I'm thinking this is probably the same model but is situated on higher elevatated area. Rider capacity appears to be the same at 40 riders per cycle.

Looks like a great addition.

Sorry for going off topic but I am considering a dining plan for my visit at the end of next month with the flash sale, just debating which park of the 3 I'll be visiting will be the best value (i already have a 2017 pass w/o dining to get me into the perks, and SFMM is the most expensive for next year, but it's also the first park I'll be visiting), taking into account the food as well for each previous park and if it will be worth it to me with the drink bottle as well.

At Six Flags Magic Mountain, do all of the coasters have the souvenir bottle holders at them? Do some coasters require a löcker for the bottle / have different exits and entrances? I know at Great Adventure for example there are rides with no loose articles but they still have the bottle holders. SFMM is not my home park so I wanted to know if the drinks would be an added value to me or not. Convenience-wise I'd hate to get löcker after löcker just for a bottle.

Thanks!

Edited by anonymouscactus

This is a great addition, but the name takes me back to the time when I did a new ride survey for the park. At the end of that survey, they recommend to give a name for a future ride, and I actually put down CraZanity, so if you don't like the name of the ride, blame it all on me.

Looks like a great addition.

Sorry for going off topic but I am considering a dining plan for my visit at the end of next month with the flash sale, just debating which park of the 3 I'll be visiting will be the best value (i already have a 2017 pass w/o dining to get me into the perks, and SFMM is the most expensive for next year, but it's also the first park I'll be visiting), taking into account the food as well for each previous park and if it will be worth it to me with the drink bottle as well.

At Six Flags Magic Mountain, do all of the coasters have the souvenir bottle holders at them? Do some coasters require a löcker for the bottle / have different exits and entrances? I know at Great Adventure, for example, there are rides with no loose articles but they still have the bottle holders. SFMM is not my home park so I wanted to know if the drinks would be an added value to me or not. Convenience-wise I'd hate to get löcker after löcker just for a bottle.

Thanks!

No problem! The food is typicallly$10 an entree and up to $14 for the specialty items like Tri tip sandwich/Turkey leg. The drinks are roughly $5 each, or you have the option of getting a sports bottle. The sports bottle ranges from $17.50 (for one that is good for the day only with 99cent or $5.99 refills on your next visit) Last year they didn't release the following seasons until way into Novemberto $32 for an all season drink bottle. If you buy the dining pass it mentions that you get the 2018 season bottle which I presume based on last year you can pick up today in the park and prevent having to buy two cups. If you get the premium dining pass you can go to all the parks your heart desires. The premium also comes with Lunch & Dinner and a snack. Speaking of snacks they have funnel cake included (normally $8) or shakes as your most expensive items you could get. The basic only comes with Lunch & snack. The cups are chain wide. (I worked for Coke)

Most of the rides you can get away with leaving the cup on the side except X2 which is $2 for a locker last I rode it.

The ride is a good fit for SFMM. I am also glad they are continuing renovating the park section by section. Creating / developing a boardwalk style area in that dead space is a great move for them.

What sections have yet to be rennovated that are in need of refurbishment? All I can think of is that area around the corner from the Skycoaster where Apocalypse stands and Deja Vu once stood.

Also, could something please point out where the monorail station was? (Sorry for my ignorance)

Yay! Finally a flat for SFMM! And it should be awesome.

I'm a little fuzzy about how they're renovating that area to become the "Boardwalk." To me, it just looks like some new paint and slapping on a sign. SFMM definitely needs some renovation and making use of what was otherwise an abandoned area is a win-win. Not sure what "renovated bumper cars" entails but I'm intrigued!

This is a great addition for SFMM and definitely better than a Star Flyer. These giant pendulum rides are my favorite flat rides (along with drop towers) and the height/speed of this one looks incredible. Well done SFMM, I will be taking advantage of the park being open 365 days next year, that's for sure!

Edited by VegasBaby

Also, could something please point out where the monorail station was? (Sorry for my ignorance)

It's just past the carnival games section, across from Tidal Wave. I'm surprised they can fit this thing in there.

Fantastic addition. These rides are consistently excellent, and I couldn't think of a better flat for SFMM.

At Six Flags Magic Mountain, do all of the coasters have the souvenir bottle holders at them? Do some coasters require a löcker for the bottle / have different exits and entrances?

Thanks!

they don't have bottle holder at any coaster at SFMM. I think only X2 you can't leave it in the cubby holder, or just on the side. i have one and have never left it in a locker, but I also haven't ridden X2 in some time. but for sure, all the other coasters you can leave the bottle on the side.

The ride is a good fit for SFMM. I am also glad they are continuing renovating the park section by section. Creating / developing a boardwalk style area in that dead space is a great move for them.

You know, initially, my old-Magic-Mountain-trained mind was immediately disappointed in this announcement, and was hoping instead for another record breaking, new-style roller coaster, like the RMC TRex or something.

...BUT, I had to catch myself and ask, "Every time I go to Magic Mountain, in the moment, what do I wish they could add or change?" Do I wish I had yet another roller coaster I could ride, as if I was short on those at this park?

No.

I ask things like, "God, I wish I could have some A/C right now!", or, "I wish there were food options in this area where I didn't have to stand or sit down with zero shade.", or, "Wow, can I really just walk up to this condemned and dilapidated Monorail station and actually touch it? Shouldn't there be a wall or something?".

So, now when I look at this announcement, I think, wow, hats off to Six Flags for starting a new trend (starting with JL:BFM) that, while potentially unpopular, now adds variety to the park, spruces up old areas, and, in the long run, will make guests subconsciously happy during their stay.

Now, on to some speculation!

I've taken the liberty to spend 5 minutes in Paint to quickly draw up a hypothesis of the location of this ride.

Key:

Green - CraZanity Ride Location

Yellow - Old Flat Ride turned into a Break Area (I forget it's name. Please forgive my enthusiast sins! )

Red - Old Monorail Station

White - Old Monorail Track

Brown - (Steep?) Hillside (definitely an obstacle for this flat ride)

I was also curious why they didn't use this location between Riddler's and Tidal. Maybe just not enough space? It also would fail to be a weenie (visual landmark) to mark the "new" boardwalk area I guess.

Let me know your thoughts, and sorry for the long post! (Haven't posted in a while)

I was kinda hoping for a full flat ride package, ala SFOT last year with a Troika, Endeavor, and Giant Frisbee. But I will certainly take what I can get.

I was wondering about the fate of the Troll at the bumper cars as well. I'd imagine they'd keep it, or at the very least keep in backstage should they ever resurrect the museum at the top of the Skytower (or place it elsewhere).