TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Six Flags has always had some parks with more expensive passes than others, varying by maybe $20 or $30 bucks between high and low. The way they try to prevent people from buying at a different park is that you have to process them at the "home" park (plus you don't get things like BAFF at other parks), and I guess they assume that people aren't going to drive usually many hours just to save a bit of money. Don't know if that would change if there was a big increase in one park's price..

If you're talking about California vs New Jersey, sure, but there's quite a few people that go to both SFDK and SFMM, and having your pass processed at SFDK isn't a big deal, especially if it's a membership and you won't have to renew it each year.

I believe the SFDK pass is currently a little bit cheaper than SFMM already, but at the moment I don't think it's enough for MM to really care, I just wonder if they will care more if the disparity becomes larger.

I'm in Chicago, and I've known people to go St Louis to get passes (about the same distance as DK and MM). Personally, it seems unlikely to me they'd change anything - Magic Mountain already had a much longer schedule than a lot of the other parks for a very comparable price, would they really try to raise it enough to make this an issue just because they added a lot of days that most people won't use anyway?

^ There's a bit of a difference, though, in that St. Louis opens a couple weeks before Great America. A lot of those people probably wouldn't go for merely $20 off, but they will go for $20 off and going to a theme park 2 weeks earlier.

Anybody who knows enough to know that different Six Flags parks have different prices probably also knows that the time to buy them is before the prior season ends, so I don't think the timing really plays into it for a lot of people...

Six Flags has always had some parks with more expensive passes than others, varying by maybe $20 or $30 bucks between high and low. The way they try to prevent people from buying at a different park is that you have to process them at the "home" park (plus you don't get things like BAFF at other parks), and I guess they assume that people aren't going to drive usually many hours just to save a bit of money. Don't know if that would change if there was a big increase in one park's price..

If you're talking about California vs New Jersey, sure, but there's quite a few people that go to both SFDK and SFMM, and having your pass processed at SFDK isn't a big deal, especially if it's a membership and you won't have to renew it each year.

I believe the SFDK pass is currently a little bit cheaper than SFMM already, but at the moment I don't think it's enough for MM to really care, I just wonder if they will care more if the disparity becomes larger.

I've never heard of anyone who isn't originally from the Bay Area or an enthusiast who goes to sfdk. Why drive 5-6 hours to save $10? Makes more sense in Midwest or east coast with more parks closer.

I've never heard of anyone who isn't originally from the Bay Area or an enthusiast who goes to sfdk. Why drive 5-6 hours to save $10? Makes more sense in Midwest or east coast with more parks closer.

There are more than just enthusiasts, for sure...I mean mathematically the park would probably close otherwise. I was more talking about if the price difference increased substantially though, and while I dont think someone would drive 6 hours on a one time trip to save, someone might wait until a trip north to purchase their membership, I know people who have done that. There's also people like me who live much closer to SFDK but visit SFMM more than DK. I dont think its something that would break them, just money left on the table that they might think about.

By the way, I know a few pages back some people were wondering if there were going to be blackout dates or some sort of premium to use a different pass at Magic Mountain, but this from the Press Release announcing the new schedule seems to say that's not happening:

Further, the new calendar will add tremendous value and benefits to Six Flags Season Pass Holders, as they will now be able to visit Six Flags Magic Mountain any day of the year without any blackout dates, including Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Considered one of the best Season Pass programs in the theme park industry, there is no pricing premium to buy a “no blackout” season pass. A Six Flags Season Pass can be used at any of the 12 Six Flags Theme Parks in the U.S., Montreal, Canada and Mexico City.

I know its been in the thread but how long does it take to get from LA attractions downtown to Magic mountain on a normal day?

In the process of scheduling a spring trip but ive heard mixed stories on the LA traffic Weekdays/Weekends

Traffic in LA can vary wildly. Without traffic, you can get from downtown to MM in about 45 minutes. During rush hour, it could take you up to 2 hours or more. If you can, download the Waze app for your phone, works well for finding the least congested route, works very well in Los Angeles in my experience.

I know its been in the thread but how long does it take to get from LA attractions downtown to Magic mountain on a normal day?

In the process of scheduling a spring trip but ive heard mixed stories on the LA traffic Weekdays/Weekends

What time of day? LA traffic is always bad but how bad varies wildly as mentioned. My general rule in that town is to go to google maps and multiply by two for outside estimates. God I hate Caltrans.

I would just allow for 1 1/2 hours and take extra time to eat before you get into the park if you get there early. There are several fast food places near the park.

I would just allow for 1 1/2 hours and take extra time to eat before you get into the park if you get there early. There are several fast food places near the park.

Gotta shout out to this awesome Mexican restaurant just across the highway from Magic Mountain https://www.yelp.com/biz/azul-tequila-valencia-2

Great happy hour tacos and margaritas! We found this place during last years West Coast Bash, and it is now a must visit every trip.

Gotta shout out to this awesome Mexican restaurant just across the highway from Magic Mountain https://www.yelp.com/biz/azul-tequila-valencia-2

Great happy hour tacos and margaritas! We found this place during last years West Coast Bash, and it is now a must visit every trip.

I'll have to look into that. My SFMM local places to eat are Presto Pasta, The Habit, Pei Wei, Pick Up Stix, and if we're starving, Claim Jumper.

And on that note, RIP to the Marie Calendars that has now been torn down.

I'll have to look into that.

Look here!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72195&hilit=west+coast+bash&start=170

What about bars? I usually take a break from the park and go to Lazy Dog but I'm looking for something that isn't at the mall.

Any suggestions?

Fu11 Throt1e sports bar is in the park, you don't have to leave. Drinks not that much more than you would pay at any bar.

I really hope it's not the world's tallest sky screamer. I hate those rides. A couple other flats including one of those wonder woman giant discs and that penguin water flat that SFDK has would be great.

One and done rides for me. However one at the top of the mountain would be pretty cool. Whatever it is, does anyone know why SFMM is the only major park not teasing?

What about bars? I usually take a break from the park and go to Lazy Dog but I'm looking for something that isn't at the mall.

Any suggestions?

Fu11 Throt1e sports bar is in the park, you don't have to leave. Drinks not that much more than you would pay at any bar.

Correct. The beers aren't priced out which is nice, but there isn't anything liquor based. That Mexican place I mentioned earlier has a full bar and a decent happy hour.

One and done rides for me. However one at the top of the mountain would be pretty cool. Whatever it is, does anyone know why SFMM is the only major park not teasing?

Perhaps they don't have anything big planned in terms of new rides next year. They did get a more expensive version of Justice League this season. 2018 may be relatively quiet here.