TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

With SFFT confirmed to be getting the first RMC Raptor coaster, could SFMM possibly be getting one in the years ahead?

My guess would be 2020, 20th coaster. Next year I predict a Giant Discovery or Sky Screamer.

But who knows? All bets are off after today's announcement.

Ride justice league today...

It's definitely better than the version at SFoT that I previously rode. If the 3D rendering was better, It would be a "world class" attraction. The physical sets are great, just didn't mesh well because the rendering is way too cartoonish. Also hard to see what you're shooting depending on the color. Preshow video was out and the cyborg animatronic didn't do anything on my ride.

Some other random thoughts:

-would be better to have switchbacks inside instead of the preshow rooms.

-the outdoor queue is as tacky as can be. Gravel rocks to cover dirt all over the place and it's just a section of old RRv queue fenced in.

^Yeah, I don't understand why they didn't use switchbacks inside. And two pre-show rooms? At best, one. And they're both LONG. I have serious doubts those will stick around long (or at least, they SHOULDN'T stick around long). Plus, what's the point of having a single rider line if you still have to stand in the outdoor queue and both pre-show rooms to get to it? It'll save you what, 2 minutes? Ridiculous.

^Just a question for those wanting those newer "vest" restraints that have popped up on a few coasters - have you guys ridden them?

Carolina Cobra at Carowinds got them a few years ago, and now the Vekoma in Georgia has them. I find them to be MORE uncomfortable than the standard head-banging old hard shoulder bars.

The vests HOLD you DOWN and BACK in your seat, get tighter and lock tighter during the ride... this makes you feel that vibration even more. The head-banging is gone, but other unpleasantness is there to greet you. And remember, those vest trains are going to age too, so you have to factor that in. Just my own opinion. I prefer a little headbanging than not being able to move my torso and being shaken like that.

For most Boomerangs I can do with or without them (I've never hated boomerangs like most seem to, but they aren't a favorite either )

On Blue Ninja Hawk, I definitely prefer the vest restraints. Although it is tighter than the OTSR's, my head used to take a brutal beating on it ( had an earring post jammed into my head behind my ear on one ride.)

^Just a question for those wanting those newer "vest" restraints that have popped up on a few coasters - have you guys ridden them?

Carolina Cobra at Carowinds got them a few years ago, and now the Vekoma in Georgia has them. I find them to be MORE uncomfortable than the standard head-banging old hard shoulder bars.

The vests HOLD you DOWN and BACK in your seat, get tighter and lock tighter during the ride... this makes you feel that vibration even more. The head-banging is gone, but other unpleasantness is there to greet you. And remember, those vest trains are going to age too, so you have to factor that in. Just my own opinion. I prefer a little headbanging than not being able to move my torso and being shaken like that.

i rode 3 boomerangs last week. one with vests. i'd easily take the vests over OSTRs. but all 3 still sucked. the carowinds one was the one i rode with vests.

Going to the park in 2 weeks for the first time in 4 years.

Are X2 and Tatsu still the rides with the longest lines? Should I head straight to them first? I believe JL is popular but not overwhelming right?

Or has the ride strategy changed? When I last went, Full Throttle and Twisted Colossus werent a thing.

Which ride is doing VR, and is it all day or during limited times?

Going to the park in 2 weeks for the first time in 4 years.

Are X2 and Tatsu still the rides with the longest lines? Should I head straight to them first? I believe JL is popular but not overwhelming right?

Or has the ride strategy changed? When I last went, YOLOcoaster and Twisted Colossus werent a thing.

Which ride is doing VR, and is it all day or during limited times?

X2 is still as popular as ever, and lately it has been running only 1 train which results in a very long and slow moving (2hr+) line that doesnt die in the afternoon like it normally would.

Revolution is the one that is way different than before. Due to the VR causing insane 5+ minute dispatches and removal of both single rider line and normal flash pass use, Revolution's line hits 60min+ right when the park is open and stays long all day. It does VR all day, but you can opt out and tell them you don't want to use VR and just ride it normally. Unfortunately you don't get to skip any of the line for this.

I usually head for Revolution first and then go further up the hill to X2. Even if X2 is running only one train, you may only wait 45-60 min if you do it early. Or you could get a platinum flash pass and an X2 reservation, and hit both of those whenever you feel like. Revolution is now platinum flash pass only and 1 reservation per day. X2 is same as before, Gold+ and $10 to reserve.

Tatsu is hit or miss. It's still popular, but the line isn't always out of control. You can get lucky and catch it after some downtime and walk right on it. If you do opt for the Flash Pass, it works well on Tatsu.

YOLO's popularity is waning. Unless the park is very busy, it usually hovers around 30-40min waits on average days.

Twisted Colossus is popular, but it always runs 3 trains and has some of the best operations in the park, so even if the line seems long, it moves fast. Unless they're using the switchback stantions outside the covered queue, it won't be a long wait.

Justice League is like you said, kinda long lines but not overwhelming. Only bad thing is most of the queue is outside against the building and of course being MM there's no cover, so with the heat radiating off of the white building it gets kind of miserable.

Why is X2 only currently one train ops?

And why the one reservation limit on it (and Revolution) even if you do have platinum FP?

For Revo it's actually gold or platinum and the reason it is 1 res only is because of the horrendous dispatch times. If they have too many FP riders, it slows the line down even more. Superman is the same, it is also platinum and one reservation only now. Good news there is they have been running both sides lately. YOLO is also one reservation only with gold or plat.

Oh actually I just looked at MM's FP page and apparently the policy has changed with X2 - now one reservation is included with platinum Flash Pass, with gold you still have to purchase it as an add on like it was before.

Twisted Colossus is single reservation only, but can be done with any Flash Pass.

Don't know why X2 was on one train, I dont think its planned maintenance, they wouldn't do that on X2 in the summer, probably mechanical issues with the other train. May or may not be the same when you get there.

Why is X2 only currently one train ops?

And why the one reservation limit on it (and Revolution) even if you do have platinum FP?

For Revo it's actually gold or platinum and the reason it is 1 res only is because of the horrendous dispatch times. If they have too many FP riders, it slows the line down even more.

When I arrived at the park around 3pm a few weeks ago ... they were running both Revo trains, but only 16 of the 40 seats were available due to limits on functioning VR headsets. Yes, you read that correct. They were loading the first 4 cars of ONE train with VR. All other seats were NOT available, even if you wanted to ride without VR. (edit... Oh, and they were not pairing up anyone, so not all 16 seats were being filled...)

Luckily, as soon as I sat down, the announcement about the heat shutting down the VR headsets came on. The coaster gods heard my prayers! I still need to do that trip report...

But really. That operation was not just obnoxious, a disgrace, embarrassing and stupid... I don't have the final word for it. And those employees - I know better than to blame them. It's all trickle down; training is awful. There is your cheap season pass! Please Cedar Fair buy up some Six Flags parks. Magic Mountain would be a dream.

Edited by JT325

VR on coasters is a terrible trend in the amusement park industry. The load times are just horrendous and it doesn't add anything of value to the coaster experience, IMO. I've only been able to ride TNR once since the new trains were introduced because I refuse to wait in that ridiculous line. I just recently returned from a trip to Orlando and they've ruined a great B&M floorless (Kraken) with this stupid VR nonsense. I hammer the VR on every SFMM survey that I get, so hopefully they will get rid of it soon.

Edited by VegasBaby

^^ That would infuriate me beyond belief. To not allow guests to sit in fully functional seats and ride sans VR due to a lack of working headsets is quite possibly the most asinine policy I've ever heard of. That's surprising even for Six Flags.

VR would be cool and make sense... where you have a dual-loading/unloading station. Like Tatsu, for example (not that they would ever do it on a ride like that... you get my point); a parallel, double station. It's still kinda stupid, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

Isn't Europa Park refurbishing one of their old family coasters to have 2 stations (one for VR one for non-VR)?? Geez, those Germans make so much sense some time.

VR would be cool and make sense...

It just defeats the purpose of riding a roller coaster to me — unless you happen to prefer riding with your vision obstructed. I guess enclosed coasters do something somewhat similar (and I do love enclosed coasters), but when it comes to big, spectacular rides that rely on landscape/visual experience, it's baffling from a fan perspective. Of course, it makes perfect sense from a business angle, though, as crap sells well and most people consume

ncritically. I still maintain that the most entertaining place for a VR in theme parks would be the restrooms, eating areas, and perhaps the parking lot. Edited by Arthur_Seaton

I still maintain that the most entertaining place for a VR in theme parks would be the restrooms, eating areas, and perhaps the parking lot.

Yeah I agree, or perhaps as an AR experience while waiting in line. Would be kinda cool to have something like a headset to find and/or shoot video game enemies for high score while in line. Seems like something Disney would probably do before SF.

VR is a cheap, "smoke and mirrors" way to promote something new while putting minimum investment into a park. I hate it, and I hate that we've allowed parks to get away with half assing new attractions into their parks while we continue show up to say "yes more please" with our wallets.

For a gaming systems or even upcharge attraction in a dead area of an amusement park? Sure. On roller coasters? Give me a break.