TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I guess JL us pretty cool for what it is..general consensus amongst the group was..."lame"..can say I been on it, wouldn't wait in line tho, that's for sure...really don't have any interest in getting back on it anytime soon. That's just the opinions of the 7 people I was with..hope you all get more from it then we did..by the way, none of us waste our lives on video games so that probably has something to do with it.

Pretty much my feelings. From a park "enthusiast" who "gets" what the park is trying to do here: with JL "this is great for the park, this is what the park needs," and this makes sense. But to the people like you and me who aren't video game people, and go to Magic Mountain to get on big scary rides, and see through all the "smoke and mirrors" the park is trying to pull here, while seriously neglecting the ENTIRE area surrounding it...? YAY MORE BRICKS AND CONCRETE WITH NO SHADE AND NO TREES!

I say "feh."

Even the girl I'm dating is a video game nerd, and wasn't impressed, and it doesn't take much for her! I will go on this ride to get out of the sun if it is a walk on, but I'd never wait for it. It might be popular as a new ride but I see the attraction wearing off after some of the intricate things don't work well or the props don't move like they're supposed to. This is all the kind of stuff Magic Mountain has always seemed to have a hard time maintaining. For some reason I don't think the reputation stops here.

The whole VR thing really squashed a proper re-introduction of Revolution.

SO SO THIS! I have been to the park 2 or 3 times since Revolution was re-introduced, and every frickin' time it had those stupid goggles with hour+ long DREADFUL wait times, and no single rider line, and there's just no way in hell I'm dealing with that.

Leave it to Six Flags, they know how to kill a good thing!

I guess JL us pretty cool for what it is..general consensus amongst the group was..."lame"..can say I been on it, wouldn't wait in line tho, that's for sure...really don't have any interest in getting back on it anytime soon. That's just the opinions of the 7 people I was with..hope you all get more from it then we did..by the way, none of us waste our lives on video games so that probably has something to do with it.

Can you compare the ride to Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef or DCA's Toy Story Midway Mania?

Can you compare the ride to Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef or DCA's Toy Story Midway Mania?

I haven't ridden the SFMM version yet, but I did ride the SFOT version and those two Knott's and DCA rides are exactly what it reminded me of. It was basically a series of video game screens that the car trundled past. There were a few moving props and mannequins scattered around, and the lighting/fog/music made it all seem quite immersive, but it was pretty much the same concept. I'd say that JL is more impressive in terms of production though; Toy Story has more humor whereas Iron Reef seems far more basic/makeshift and JL is much more manic, ADHD-style — like a hyperkinetic sensory bombardment (a bit like Transformers at Universal, but not as visually or technologically impressive). It sounds like this one's quite different from the SFOT one, though, and I assume that having a working knowledge of the various characters would help boost the experience. Young kids are going to go nuts when they see Batman or Spiderman or whatever talking to them.

Thought some of you guys would be interested in this, I interviewed CEO John Wood and Creative Director Rich Hill of Sally Corp all about Justice League (and a little bit about their past and future projects) for Coaster101. Lots of interesting little tidbits in here (like why there's no Aquaman), but the biggest take away is that they're both really excited about the Magic Mountain version of the ride, and said that it is always going to be a one of a kind version of the ride.

Basically it makes me really excited to get down there and ride it!

Sally Corp Justice League Interview

The Big take away for me was there will be a pause, ie..NO JL's in 2018.

JW: I think that Six Flags is going to pause. I’m hoping it’s just a pause, but after three good hard years of rolling these out I think they’re going to step back and see how the results are. But, we’re very hopeful that there’s more in the future.

The ride is definitely better than Knott's Voyage, and on par with DCA's Toy Story ride.

But this type of ride makes more sense for a younger crowd, which works at a Disney park, but seems kind of random at a park like Magic Mountain. I'm not saying people won't ride it once they're at the park, but to think this is going to attract a crowd over 15 years old *to come out and actually visit the park for it* is stretching it a bit.

Any word so far on what the wait times for it have been like?

I've been on the SFStL and SFOT versions, so I'm very curious to compare. But not thrilled with the idea that Single Rider isn't until after 2 pre-show rooms... what's the point of that?

Thanks for the pics! I am glad SFMM is moving in this direction. If they can position themselves as the home of the DC universe with the right attractions, we can have a Marvel vs. DC fight for all the comic fans.

The ride is definitely better than Knott's Voyage, and on par with DCA's Toy Story ride.

But this type of ride makes more sense for a younger crowd, which works at a Disney park, but seems kind of random at a park like Magic Mountain. I'm not saying people won't ride it once they're at the park, but to think this is going to attract a crowd over 15 years old *to come out and actually visit the park for it* is stretching it a bit.

And guess who spends the most money at parks? Families....

Magic Mountain will make more money off the 15 year kid whose whole family tags along than they will a teenager who shows up and doesn't spend a penny besides their initial pass purchase (or monthly payment)...

Magic Mountain will make more money off the 15 year kid whose whole family tags along than they will a teenager who shows up and doesn't spend a penny besides their initial pass purchase (or monthly payment)...

Except SFMM has neglected family stuff for over a decade. That's how SF Corporate thinks about all the parks except MM and Gadv. Both neglect family rides in general and have not gotten family friendly flats. I believe the last flats for both were 450 and 400 ft drop towers. not family friendly at all

Except SFMM has neglected family stuff for over a decade. That's how SF Corporate thinks about all the parks except MM and Gadv. Both neglect family rides in general and have not gotten family friendly flats. I believe the last flats for both were 450 and 400 ft drop towers. not family friendly at all

It's never too late to balance out the park. And with Six Flag's limited spending the past few years, that's probably what's about the happen anyway. I'm guessing next year will be another non coaster year as the park adds flats or kids rides instead.

It's never too late to balance out the park. And with Six Flag's limited spending the past few years, that's probably what's about the happen anyway. I'm guessing next year will be another non coaster year as the park adds flats or kids rides instead.

Six Flags limited spending is not a few years, it's been since bankruptcy. It's all based on a formula since bankruptcy. It's here to stay and their EBIDTA is great. There is no way they are changing and said so in their investor presentation. People just didn't notice the limited spending b/c 2011-2016 b/c they were adding RMC's, Full Throttle, Xflight. Now that it's 4D's and superloops everywhere people seem to notice and think this is pull back. They are actually spending slightly more money each year since bankruptcy they are just spending on cloned garbage to a large extent.

Six Flags limited spending is not a few years, it's been since bankruptcy. It's all based on a formula since bankruptcy. It's here to stay and their EBIDTA is great. There is no way they are changing and said so in their investor presentation. People just didn't notice the limited spending b/c 2011-2016 b/c they were adding RMC's, YOLOcoaster, Xflight. Now that it's 4D's and superloops everywhere people seem to notice and think this is pull back. They are actually spending slightly more money each year since bankruptcy they are just spending on cloned garbage to a large extent.

Oh no, we've noticed, trust me. It's still a far cry from that Thomas Town, Wiggles nonsense from the Shapiro years. The limited spending now is yielding things their parks have needed since forever. Dark rides, family rides, waterpark additions, flat rides., breathing new life into old, beat up coasters.

This is a GOOD thing. Well.. except for enthusiasts that miss 25 million dollar mediocre B&Ms every other year.

Six Flags limited spending is not a few years, it's been since bankruptcy. It's all based on a formula since bankruptcy. It's here to stay and their EBIDTA is great. There is no way they are changing and said so in their investor presentation. People just didn't notice the limited spending b/c 2011-2016 b/c they were adding RMC's, YOLOcoaster, Xflight. Now that it's 4D's and superloops everywhere people seem to notice and think this is pull back. They are actually spending slightly more money each year since bankruptcy they are just spending on cloned garbage to a large extent.

Oh no, we've noticed, trust me. It's still a far cry from that Thomas Town, Wiggles nonsense from the Shapiro years. The limited spending now is yielding things their parks have needed since forever. Dark rides, family rides, waterpark additions, flat rides., breathing new life into old, beat up coasters.

This is a GOOD thing. Well.. except for enthusiasts that miss 25 million dollar mediocre B&Ms every other year.

The thing is they have a done horrible job. The parks are literally becoming all the same. They have to gimmick rides as their supposed "flagship rides" that are not going to hold up to time. JL's are a video game, people and kids lose interest in video games quickly. I an tell you know 1 year after JL's in some parks the line is nothing, it's a virtual walk on at some parks. 4D's lines are just b/c the capacity stinks, the thing gets less than 500/hr in reality though spec is 720/hr Finally, the parks that need flat rides the most SFFMM and GAdv haven't gotten them and the parks that need coasters badly Stl. LaRonde, SFA haven't gotten nothing. SF is essentially banking on the people in these areas will keep buying passes and allowing themselves to be "abused" and neglected by SF, by getting year after year of poor additions

The thing is they have a done horrible job. The parks are literally becoming all the same. They have to gimmick rides as their supposed "flagship rides" that are not going to hold up to time. JL's are a video game, people and kids lose interest in video games quickly. I an tell you know 1 year after JL's in some parks the line is nothing, it's a virtual walk on at some parks. 4D's lines are just b/c the capacity stinks, the thing gets less than 500/hr in reality though spec is 720/hr Finally, the parks that need flat rides the most SFFMM and GAdv haven't gotten them and the parks that need coasters badly Stl. LaRonde, SFA haven't gotten nothing. SF is essentially banking on the people in these areas will keep buying passes and allowing themselves to be "abused" and neglected by SF, by getting year after year of poor additions

I know this may sound weird, but I really don't care that much. I like the last few additions that SFMM has added to the park, and that's where it pretty much ends. I don't care that much what the chain is "banking on" because that's not my problem. Maybe it's getting older, but my days of ranting and shaking my fists at SF are over. It's boring. My friends and I will make fun of SF from time to time, but whatever...

JL won't appeal to the folks it doesn't appeal to, but during my visit, people were loving it. And of course TC was a completely solid addition. If flats come next year (because that's pretty much what they're limited to), I'll be a happy camper!

And at the end of the day, I still have Knotts and Disney to feel the "quality" quota.

Edited by Manic Monte

I will be in San Diego next week with a friend and we are considering coming up to MM for a day. I have a season pass from GAdv. What is our best option for purchasing one ticket for my friend? Are there any discounts for pass holders from other parks? Thanks!
There just aren't any pass holder discounts going on right now being the peak season... I noticed SFDK is doing BAFF days in July up north, but not SFMM as far as I can tell. If you're at least 7 days out, you can get a ticket online in advance for $58, which isn't great but beats the $80 gate price. If you don't get any advance deals, they'll give you $15 off at the ticket booth for showing a Coke can. You could always also talk your friend into getting a membership, and then at least for today you won't be paying much, and you could both go again later.

Made out like a bandit at the park today. Especially concerning Revolution; the Coaster Gods heard my prayer.

Too tired to write much of a review, but I will be back at the park tomorrow. I can see the tower and X2 from my window. I enjoyed X2 but will never ride Green Lantern again.

IMG_7072.thumb.JPG.622fdc18fa344621ebab60b879d41ee7.JPG

I went to SFoT before the USC vs. Alabama game and had it not been for single rider, I would have waited 2hrs for justice league.

The majority of six flags guests will never visit parks besides their local park.

This is literally the default position taken when talking about Six Flags installations like this. Except, no family with kids who "can't ride the big rides" goes to Magic Mountain. Also, I don't buy the "teenagers don't spend money" at the park anymore. Go to any park and you will see teen after teen spending money on food, games, and anything that the park has to offer that appeals to them because the teen demographic has changed. They have their own credit cards, they get money from their parents and get dropped off, they go out to have fun with the 3,4+ other friends they bring with them.

This ride is not going to attract any family that wouldn't be at the park in the first place.

Teens spend money without their "family" there with them. If anything the park should be making installations that APPEALS to teens/young 20 year olds!

The thing is they have a done horrible job. The parks are literally becoming all the same. They have to gimmick rides as their supposed "flagship rides" that are not going to hold up to time. JL's are a video game, people and kids lose interest in video games quickly. I an tell you know 1 year after JL's in some parks the line is nothing, it's a virtual walk on at some parks...SF is essentially banking on the people in these areas will keep buying passes and allowing themselves to be "abused" and neglected by SF, by getting year after year of poor additions

I can vouch for this, as I recently just visited SFDK last weekend, and besides some of the different ride offerings, many of the names or themings of the park felt quite identical to what's offered at other SF parks I've been at. Not to mention if you're counting on local visitors to continue to come to the park, they should IMPROVE things that the guests are going to see on their multiple visits to the park, which brings me to my last point.

I guess what I mean is instead of dumping money into a ride like this, I would rather they spend it on operations, upkeep, and refurbishing areas of the park that have been neglected over the years. And by refurbishing I actually mean finding someone in the industry who is good at it and has experience at it, instead of turning everything into a concrete wasteland.

We'll have to agree to disagree. My Facebook news feed would seem to disgree with your points (parents happy their kids have something more to do), but to each their own Meanwhile six flags post bankruptcy is doing pretty good for itself financially, so they've found a model that works for them and is fiscally responsible. Sorry that doesn't include a mega coaster every year anymore.