TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Did they remove JB's BBQ by the Justice League or just rename it? It was one of the best places on the dining pass. I'm not sure where the pub is going, since I haven't been there in several months. I'll be there in a few weeks. Also is Riddler open or will it open with JL?

JB's BBQ has rethemed and renamed Ace O' Clubs. From what I heard, it's going to pretty much be close to the same offerings and heavily themed on the inside.

The Metro Park Pub is to the left of the restaurants across from Gold Rusher.

Sorry about quality of pics. Was in the evening when I took them...

IMG_3168.thumb.JPG.5a6edffc53dedd5623b53e7bafe588b3.JPG

IMG_3170.thumb.JPG.77ed72107cca0e3a9713c61e8c02589f.JPG

IMG_3171.thumb.JPG.fd6ddbf025663bee5b59b5e438ceb7d0.JPG

Its going to look really good once its done

It's going to look the same as the other 6. Just another clone of which SF will surely add 2 or 3 more and people will make the same comments. It's a clone. It's funny SFMM is trying to make this a big deal when you're opening the 7th of the same ride.

It's going to look the same as the other 6. Just another clone of which SF will surely add 2 or 3 more and people will make the same comments. It's a clone. It's funny SFMM is trying to make this a big deal when you're opening the 7th of the same ride.

Except it's not the same.

Yippee. So since opening is now a week away, I guess we can pretty much predict everything that is dirt in this photo will pretty much be hot, unthemed, last minute poured, absurd to have in Santa Clarita during the summer when temps hit 100 degrees+, concrete.

Are we supposed to applaud this kind of effort? I would love to know who is paid to plan projects for Six Flags because I would love that job. "Yeah so, we're just gonna take this ride we've done at numerous other parks, make it a bit longer, a bit better, and plop it riiiight *closes eyes and points with finger* THERE! And the rest of the surrounding area? Yeah we'll just pour a buncha concrete around it. Yeah, there we go!"

I mean COME ON! I'm not even a designer, but does anyone see the absolute potential with this HUGE plot of land that could make it spectacular, except Six Flags again is going to budget cut and cheapen the entire frickin' area with laid concrete and illogical black permanent fencing?

I'm sorry for the rant but it's just so poorly thought out and appears so dumb to me.

Yippee. So since opening is now a week away, I guess we can pretty much predict everything that is dirt in this photo will pretty much be hot, unthemed, last minute poured, absurd to have in Santa Clarita during the summer when temps hit 100 degrees+, concrete.

Are we supposed to applaud this kind of effort? I would love to know who is paid to plan projects for Six Flags because I would love that job. "Yeah so, we're just gonna take this ride we've done at numerous other parks, make it a bit longer, a bit better, and plop it riiiight *closes eyes and points with finger* THERE! And the rest of the surrounding area? Yeah we'll just pour a buncha concrete around it. Yeah, there we go!"

I mean COME ON! I'm not even a designer, but does anyone see the absolute potential with this HUGE plot of land that could make it spectacular, except Six Flags again is going to budget cut and cheapen the entire frickin' area with laid concrete and illogical black permanent fencing?

I'm sorry for the rant but it's just so poorly thought out and appears so dumb to me.

Fun fact: There's only a single person at Six Flags corporate that oversees theming for all of the Six Flags properties. Rumor has it that this person has quite the disdain for Imagineers as well.

But I 100% agree with you it's baffling. The only answer I've ever heard as to why Six Flags insists on a scorched earth policy at Magic Mountain is due to sight lines. They want every single guest to be able to easily see the newest and hottest attractions.

Let's take a trip down memory lane:

2011 - Green Lantern - Cratered the Batman metro park area for construction (I get this one)

2012 - DoD - There wasn't much to remove so they didn't

2013 - Fullest Throttle - Destroyed one of the most wooded areas of the park and cut down many huge trees so that guests could see the loop for multiple vantage points

2014 - BBW (lol) - They took out the awful fake tree that was literally falling apart and put in an afterthought of a kiddy coaster

2015 - Twisted Colossus - Luckily they did not crater the area, but they did thin out almost every tree around Twisted Witches and removed quite a few as well

2016 - The New Revolution - Cut down a ton of trees in front of the ride to 'reveal' it to the public, but left some trees in the back for the 'aesthetic'

2017 - Justice League - Took out the rock wall and two large planters with trees, cut down trees in front of Scrambler, cut down the HUGE tree in front of Gold Rusher, and cut down the trees in front of the waterfront eating area so that guests could see the area walking from any angle

So yeah any time they build a new area they usually pour a ton of concrete and kill trees. The only logical explanation (that I have actually been told) is because of their precious sight lines. But let's be honest as well, it's probably a lot cheaper for the park to replace vegetation with a slab that requires no water and no maintenance. It's a good thing that the SCV doesn't get extremely hot during the summer and the park does a great job providing artificial shade and misters. Oh wait...

Except about 95% of SFMM guests will be seeing this for the first time with no idea that the same ride exists in other Six Flags parks. That's why clones are built.

On the topic of trees, tree maintenance costs money. The less trees, the less there is to maintain. They can talk about sight lines all they want. Maybe it's just coincidental that shrinking the maintenance expense enhances sight lines.

As far as the SCV heat goes, SFMM is not and never really has been the park that excels in creature comforts for anyone. I don't expect that to ever be a priority. Just something to know going in.

I would love to know who is paid to plan projects for Six Flags because I would love that job.

You would feel like a professional artist who's told to paint a masterpiece with a spatula because paint brushes were too expensive.

Funny because all he said was it's going to look nice when it's done, and you took it way out into orbit. He didn't say this is going to be a first of its kind or something. Just that it will look nice, and so far it does!!

Funny because all he said was it's going to look nice when it's done, and you took it way out into orbit. He didn't say this is going to be a first of its kind or something. Just that it will look nice, and so far it does!!

Thank you!

Except about 95% of SFMM guests will be seeing this for the first time with no idea that the same ride exists in other Six Flags parks. That's why clones are built.

Exactly. What's the next closest JL, Texas? Then St. Louis? Not exactly a large demographic of the typical SFMM guest travels there.

Plus, I love how people complain and joke that SF never does dark rides, and when they finally do, people complain it's a clone. You know there are 5 different "It's a Small World" rides out there? Clones! Disney is clearly a loser for cloning.

Exactly. What's the next closest JL, Texas? Then St. Louis? Not exactly a large demographic of the typical SFMM guest travels there.

Plus, I love how people complain and joke that SF never does dark rides, and when they finally do, people complain it's a clone. You know there are 5 different "It's a Small World" rides out there? Clones! Disney is clearly a loser for cloning.

Who ever complained about SF not doing dark rides? SF problem is they do the same video game ride at every park. Please stop the nonsense of even mentioning Disney in the same sentence as SF. That's like comparing a Little League team to the best team in MLB. The reason Disney has multiple small world's is they have parks in China, Japan, US, France. It's not SF where you can drive a few 100 miles from SFNE to GAdv or SFOT to SFFT or GAm to Stl and have multiple clones of their supposed marquee rides.

It's not SF where you can drive a few 100 miles from SFNE to GAdv or SFOT to SFFT or GAm to Stl and have multiple clones of their supposed marquee rides.

And that's your problem right there. This ride is obviously not geared towards you. You sound like you've had & have many SIxflags at your disposal since 100 miles isn't too far for you. This is the only in JL in California, so I'm beyond ecstatic. I've been waiting for one of these to come over to this coast for a long time, as I haven't watched the YouTube videos yet so I've been dying to ride. Also, Magic Mountain getting a dark ride, which is a pretty big deal in my opinion. I'm surprised people still find things to about complain here. Justice League finally has a base in SoCal, that's a cause for celebration! Maybe if they were opening one at SFDK next year I'll feel kind of like you guys, but even then that's al least a 6 hour differencez

I also read that this ride was to be different than the others and will be the only one to include Harley's Quinn, who was a insanely popular last year. Sixflags is smart marketing this ride around her, many will want to see her.

It's not SF where you can drive a few 100 miles from SFNE to GAdv or SFOT to SFFT or GAm to Stl and have multiple clones of their supposed marquee rides.

But for SFMM, we are not within 100 miles of any of those SF parks you mentioned. So case and point. I would gamble, as mentioned before, that most GP in SoCal have never even heard of this ride before at all. Not a lot of SFNE, GAdv, SFOT, SFFT, GAm, and Stl advertising gets out this way.

If you do want to argue about the close proximity for those other parks, that's actually an entirely different situation. Though a fair one. But in that sense, SFMM situation is exempt from that argument.

There isn't any argument. Rides that are built in both SFOT and SFFT, let's say, are not built with the avid coaster geek who'll readily make the trip to both parks in mind. What matters is that the parks are far enough away from each other to be in separate markets. Odds are the people who live in the Arlington area don't regularly travel to San Antonio and vice versa to have their park days slightly diminished by a common attraction.

As someone from CA, when I travel, it always kind of amuses me to hear people who live elsewhere cringe at distances of 100+ miles as though it was some impossible length.

First of all, I would like to congratulate this Six Flags Magic Mountain thread for (almost) getting to it's 5000th page. Remarkable. That's 50,000 posts!

Second, thank you MagicMountainMan for responding to my complaints. The fact that this park gives 0 craps about keeping vegetation in the park astounds me. With the relative costs, installing trees to grow for YEARS and the minimal costs associated with up-keeping them, there is no excuse. I used to work for the park and lo and behold, there are literally people there at 4am WATER POWER WASHING the mainways to clean them. Oh! But watering plants is not cost efficient! Get outta here!

Third, this is why I don't buy this BS that it's expensive to put trees in. It's stupid. I used to love Magic Mountain and it's terrain. The company repeatedly destroys the park with half-assed installations, and I am sick of it. $20 for parking, but it's too expensive to maintain shrubbery. Ridiculous.

So yeah any time they build a new area they usually pour a ton of concrete and kill trees. The only logical explanation (that I have actually been told) is because of their precious sight lines. But let's be honest as well, it's probably a lot cheaper for the park to replace vegetation with a slab that requires no water and no maintenance. It's a good thing that the SCV doesn't get extremely hot during the summer and the park does a great job providing artificial shade and misters. Oh wait...

Making an area beautiful and awesome is not that expensive when considering they spend millions on the rides they install. The "updates" they have added to the area are laughable. Like someone said earlier in the thread, it looks like someones backyard where they spend less than 50 grand to have a pool installed. The cheapness of the parks installations continues to astound me.

I am visiting six flags magic mountain or the first time from Chicago in September . I have some questions regarding flash pass and generally about the park / attractions. Platinum costs $130 and the gold is $80. I AM GOING ALONE.

1. The 'The New Revolution' and 'SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton' rides say 'Single ride with Platinum only; limited availability'. - Does it mean that only platinum holders can skip lines for these two rides?

2. Also mentioned for the ride 'X2': 'Additional fee upgrade available with Gold or Platinum. Single reservation only.' Any idea where to purchase this additional fee? I tried reaching SFMM but was unsuccessful.

3.Need some tips on what days to visit - weekdays or weekends, which ride to start with, and what the average wait times are for all the rides with flash pass especially X2, SUPERMAN, TATSU. I want to ride X2 as many times as I can. I was planning on a Saturday since the park is open 10:30 am to 1 am.

4. Is the front row the best for all the rides?

5. What would be the best place to stay on a budget? Any cheap motels nearby?

6. What are the other things to do apart from six flags ? Any nearby attractions? How long will you recommend staying? Mainly looking for thrill seeking activities

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by acemachine

I hope you have a good time. It's easily one of the best Six Flags parks out there thanks to the coaster collection.

1) Yes only Platinum users can use the Flash Pass on those 2 rides. If you don't mind riding alone, the New Revolution has a somewhat hidden single rider line beneath the lift hill that gets you on in less than 5 minutes provided you don't mind riding without VR. I think the ride is great without it. Otherwise, the queue for it was 2 hours when I was there last year. I've been to the park twice and even with them only running one side on Superman, I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes. I'm not sure if I just got lucky with that line though.

2) When you purchase the Flash Pass, you can tell them that you would like to add a reservation for X2. It costs $15 a pop so it is pretty pricey. I've found that X2's queue dies towards the end of the day, so you can get rerides then. At the start of the day, the lines will probably be an hour minimum.

3) If you can visit on a weekday, I imagine crowds will be less. This is still a pretty highly visited park though. I've gone on two extremeley hot days (a Saturday and a Tuesday) and the crowds seemed to be less than what people have described here. With a Flash Pass, you shouldn't have to wait more than a few trains for anything once your reservation hits. With Gold, you may have to wait 20-30 minutes for the reservation for the popular rides like Twisted Colossus and X2. Riddler's Revenge and Green Lantern also have single rider lines that get you on fast. The former's is poorly marked and kind of hidden down the exit ramp.

4) I think Twisted Colossus is best in the back. Seems to be common among RMCs for me. I also prefer Goliath, New Revolution, and Viper in the back. X2 is a must in the front row.

5) I usually stay near Disneyland.

6) I'd recommend going to Disneyland. SFMM gives you the thrills, Disneyland gives you everything else.

This place will be PACKED, and doubly so on a Saturday. Being from Chicago, I assume you're used to Six Flags Great America. Now add about 5,000 people and slow down operations substantially, and you've got Magic Mountain. Expect waits over 2 hours. So...If you have the money, I'd go with Platinum. If this is a budget trip for you, Gold should be fine, as long as you use it well. As soon as you check in, you can make another reservation. Do so, and your Flash Pass will be waiting in line for you while you're on the previous ride.

1. Yes, for Superman and Revolution, if you have the Platinum Pass, you get to skip the line once the entire day. After you use it once, you cannot use the Flash Pass entrance for that ride again. If you have a regular or Gold Pass, you cannot skip the line at all. For Twisted Colossus and YOLOcoaster, same thing, but you get one skip with Gold or Platinum. If you have a regular Flash Pass, you cannot skip the line at all.

2. X2 is an add-on to the Flash Pass; without that upgrade, you will not be able to skip the line at all. Personally, I'd just go straight to X2 first thing if it's a priority for you. If you do want to buy the add-on, you would do so at the Flash Pass building, which is basically straight ahead when you first enter the park.

3. If you want to ride X2 more than once, don't go on a Saturday. Avoid Saturdays. Any other day is better.

4. That's a matter of preference. For me, generally speaking, yes, though I liked the back on Scream and the second row from the back on Twisted Colossus.

5. Depends on what you consider cheap. Most places in Santa Clarita are in the $100-150 range, but it's not far from L.A., and there you've got everything from hostels to luxury hotels. If you don't mind driving, you can find a motel to your tastes. If you do mind driving....uh, have fun in L.A.

6. It's L.A.! How long do you want to spend there? As far as theme parks, there's Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, and Disneyland, with Legoland and Sea World San Diego not too far. There's the Getty Museum if you're into art, and freaking Hollywood if you're into movies. Go to Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood, it's amazing. There's also a bunch of beaches. Santa Monica Pier is fun, especially at night. Trust me, you won't run out of things to do in L.A., no matter what you're into.

This place will be PACKED, and doubly so on a Saturday. Being from Chicago, I assume you're used to Six Flags Great America. Now add about 5,000 people and slow down operations substantially, and you've got Magic Mountain. Expect waits over 2 hours. So...If you have the money, I'd go with Platinum. If this is a budget trip for you, Gold should be fine, as long as you use it well. As soon as you check in, you can make another reservation. Do so, and your Flash Pass will be waiting in line for you while you're on the previous ride.

6. It's L.A.! How long do you want to spend there? As far as theme parks, there's Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, and Disneyland, with Legoland and Sea World San Diego not too far. There's the Getty Museum if you're into art, and freaking Hollywood if you're into movies. Go to Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood, it's amazing. There's also a bunch of beaches. Santa Monica Pier is fun, especially at night. Trust me, you won't run out of things to do in L.A., no matter what you're into.

Good advice here about SFMM & LA in general. Last time I went was a dreaded Saturday (it was Saturday or nothing) in early fall, and even with the Gold Flash Pass & staying until close, I simply ran out of time & missed Revolution, Viper, Lex Luthor, etc. I got off the highway exit around 10:30 a.m. and no-joke didn't get into the park until after 1 p.m. I had to park well beyond Scream in the nosebleeds, and once inside, the whole place continued to be a traffic jam.

To the traveler from Chicago: Please choose a weekday for your own good, & check out other stuff in L.A.! SFMM is iconic for coaster fans, but I enjoyed checking out Hollywood, the Getty Museum, Disneyland, & just relaxing in Santa Monica for a few days even more.

SFMM just started opening during the week in Septemeber. This is new this year. I would pick a weekday after Labor Day excluding Sept 21st to visit. The park is open fewer hours but you should get on more rides during that time. I have been to SFMM and Knott's on school days and most lines in the few minutes range.

The weekdays in September should be amazing for visitors. I guess the reason the park is staying open through September is because of all the rain SoCal had this winter (which actually does greatly impact attendance) and they're going to try to recoup some of that lost time and profit.

But seriously, if you're thinking about visiting soon and you can wait two months, the middle of September should be like the beginning of May. Which is to say there is almost nobody there.