TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I also heard the Discover card contract ended.

I have a SF season pass. I think it's a Gold pass, but they change stuff so often (to better confuse people?) so I really don't know what constitutes a Gold SF season pass anymore. I have parking with my pass and it's good the entire year, that's all I know. Would that be a Gold Pass? I would ask someone at my local SF park, or email/call them, but I will get a different answer from every employee I ask. Sad but true.

I also heard the Discover card contract ended.

I have a SF season pass. I think it's a Gold pass, but they change stuff so often (to better confuse people?) so I really don't know what constitutes a Gold SF season pass anymore. I have parking with my pass and it's good the entire year, that's all I know. Would that be a Gold Pass? I would ask someone at my local SF park, or email/call them, but I will get a different answer from every employee I ask. Sad but true.

The Gold Pass does include parking, so you probably have a gold pass. I would just get to the park at least 30 minutes early and they will scan your pass before letting you into the Gold Pass early entry line. If they scan your pass and let you in the line, then you're good. If for some weird reason you don't have a Gold Pass, then at least you should be in the front of the regular entrance line.

SFMM does have a Discover entrance, which only operates as such for the first hour after the park opens. After that, it's a re-entry gate.

I'm really not sure what to tell you about Revolution. I don't know how crowded the park gets on July weekdays, but during the past few weeks, it's been pretty empty. Revolution was a 30-minute wait, max. Normally, it's a 60-90-minute wait.

i thought i read the Discover contract ended?

The park still has it listed on their website.

5. Use your Discover® Card

If you bring your Discover card to the park, we have a special entrance reserved just for you. Look for the orange carpet leading to the Discover Cardmember Entrance. Flash your card along with your tickets or Season Pass, and off you go.

how do you get to that link from the front page? looks like an old link. i did search and see two people say there was no entrance. i don't have a card so i don't look that way. i can't find anywhere on the site that has a discover ad anywhere now.

www.doctorofcredit.com/six-flagsdiscover-not-renewing-partnership-2017-season/

I found it by Googling "Six Flags Magic Mountain Discover entrance". I usually arrive at the park in mid-afternoon, so I haven't seen the Discover entrance firsthand. It could just be an old link.

how does it work if it's a group of 3 or 4 and only 2 have gold passes? Do they let the other people slide and go in too?

No

We will be at MM at the end of the month. Our home park is SFSTL, they do let each gold pass member take one non gold pass member into the early entry line. Is that not at all parks? Reason I ask is my son and I are gold pass members but my husband is not (he will just be using a day ticket from an ACE coupon) We did the same thing at SFGA last summer and he was able to come into the early line with us so I thought it was standard practice.

how does it work if it's a group of 3 or 4 and only 2 have gold passes? Do they let the other people slide and go in too?

No

We will be at MM at the end of the month. Our home park is SFSTL, they do let each gold pass member take one non gold pass member into the early entry line. Is that not at all parks? Reason I ask is my son and I are gold pass members but my husband is not (he will just be using a day ticket from an ACE coupon) We did the same thing at SFGA last summer and he was able to come into the early line with us so I thought it was standard practice.

Well, I know on BAFF day, you can. At SFMM, they scan your pass before even letting you get in the early entry line. I do not see anywhere in print that states you can take a friend in early as a benefit. It most likely is not a true policy, that can be revoked at any time. You could try I guess, but I would not count on it.

I spent a few hours at the park on Thursday and took some more pics of Riddler. From what I could see, the track is completed, and the only remaining work is on the lift hill supports.

IMG_2441.thumb.JPG.0b2102fd064211a07d2901d2eb9eb9d8.JPG

IMG_2442.thumb.JPG.49c7e8d7caad7fce34f95368fbe6ce43.JPG

A contrast of old paint (black), primer (faded yellow), and new paint (bright yellow).

Former burger flipper at Magic Mountain is now the boss

www.seattletimes.com/business/former-burger-flipper-at-magic-mountain-is-now-the-boss/

I like that she understands that this is a thrill park as quoted per the article:

Universal Studios Hollywood spent an estimated $500 million on a Harry Potter attraction last year, and Disneyland is spending an estimated $1 billion on a Star Wars land expansion to open in 2019.

Weber can’t match the budget of her competitors, but she sees her park as serving a niche audience of preteens, teens and young adults who love adrenaline-pumping rides. “I’d put this park up against any park in the country,” she said.

Most visitors to Magic Mountain live nearby or are visiting from within California or adjacent states. Weber said she can envision a future when Magic Mountain becomes a destination resort, with an adjoining hotel, to draw nationwide visitors and foreign travelers to stay for multiple days. After all, Magic Mountain is next to enough open land to accommodate an expansion.

“There is nothing to say that we wouldn’t one day be a destination all by ourselves,” she said.

No

Well, I know on BAFF day, you can. At SFMM, they scan your pass before even letting you get in the early entry line. I do not see anywhere in print that states you can take a friend in early as a benefit. It most likely is not a true policy, that can be revoked at any time. You could try I guess, but I would not count on it.

OK thanks for the info. We'll give it a try since I've always been able to before and if they say no I guess Dad will just have to meet up with us inside at X2 or the FP building! BAFF usually only applies to your home park so I don't know if MM has it going on that day or not. We will be there on Mon 6/26

Why hasn't a hotel happened yet? I know they were struggling years ago when they almost sold the park, is it money or that they don't own the land outside the park? Will that make them raise season pass costs?

Any know why Marie Calendars closed? Slow business?

Slow business, combined with an increase in their monthly rent, convinced them to close up shop. It's a shame. I never went in there to eat, but last year, we picked up some pies there and headed over to SFMM for my bro's birthday. After riding coasters for a few hours, we walked out to the car to take a break and eat some pie. I'll definitely miss being able to do that.

Why hasn't a hotel happened yet? I know they were struggling years ago when they almost sold the park, is it money or that they don't own the land outside the park? Will that make them raise season pass costs?

Six Flags doesn't own any of the SFMM land. They rent it on a long-term lease that restricts the land to be used as an amusement park or the lease is canceled and the property reverts to the owners. I don't know if they can also build a hotel on the property but they would probably need to start considering a parking garage at that point to make it fit. I doubt a hotel would raise the price of passes as it would be a sperate profit center. SFMM doesn't operate daily like Universal, Knotts, and Disneyland so they would probably need to pull some local offseason weekday business traveler traffic to make a hotel profitable in that expensive of real estate area.

Six Flags doesn't own any of the SFMM land. They rent it on a long-term lease that restricts the land to be used as an amusement park or the lease is canceled and the property reverts to the owners. I don't know if they can also build a hotel on the property but they would probably need to start considering a parking garage at that point to make it fit. I doubt a hotel would raise the price of passes as it would be a sperate profit center. SFMM doesn't operate daily like Universal, Knotts, and Disneyland so they would probably need to pull some local offseason weekday business traveler traffic to make a hotel profitable in that expensive of real estate area.

Warner Brothers had plans for a CityWalk concept with a hotel/restaurants/shops for the area on what I believe is now the office building they built coming up the hill.

As far as I can tell, Six Flags does own the land under a separate LLC known as "Magic Mountain LLC"

Warner Brothers had plans for a CityWalk concept with a hotel/restaurants/shops for the area on what I believe is now the office building they built coming up the hill.

As far as I can tell, Six Flags does own the land under a separate LLC known as "Magic Mountain LLC"

Delete

Not much being said about the progress of Justice League... anyone have any updates or possible opening day projections?

I know it's Six Flags and all, but it's really pathetic that this wasn't open by Memorial Day. They've had since the announcement in September to work on it and it's not like they have weather delays in LA. Plus it's not a prototype either, so it just baffles me that it's taken so long to build. Crazy to think that Twisted Colossus opened on time but a JL clone is so behind schedule.

Not much being said about the progress of Justice League... anyone have any updates or possible opening day projections?

I know it's Six Flags and all, but it's really pathetic that this wasn't open by Memorial Day. They've had since the announcement in September to work on it and it's not like they have weather delays in LA. Plus it's not a prototype either, so it just baffles me that it's taken so long to build. Crazy to think that Twisted Colossus opened on time but a JL clone is so behind schedule.

I was thinking the same thing. When I went the whole area was discussing and looked like atleast July.

and it's not like they have weather delays in LA

Actually, So Cal had one of the wettest winters in more than a decade this year. That may have thrown them off schedule considering weather isn't typically a factor in LA.

I was thinking the same thing. When I went the whole area was discussing and looked like atleast July.

They were having issues with getting permits issued from the city. This delayed ground breaking and progress on the ride building and ride itself by several months. I know a few ride ops and leads in entertainment that have told me that it's looking like the ride won't be up and running with guests until August.

Mid July is the hope here. Inside of JL is coming along great, now it's just the outside around the attraction that isn't even close to being done. So when the outside looks about done, that's when you know we're close.

And as SFMMGeek said, the park had permitting issues that delayed construction.