TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

May 27th is also opening day for Six Flags Hurricane Harbor season! While in might not impact SFMM but it will impact the parking and going through the metal detectors.

I find it kind of odd that SFMM's water park season starts on the exact same day as Cedar Point's water park season, despite SFMM being in a MUCH warmer climate

I would have thought Hurricane Harbor at Magic Mountain would have a longer operating season (obviously not in the winter months)

It would be nice if a lot of the SoCal water parks stayed open for longer. Many times, it is still crazy hot all the way through October and sometimes even November (our excessive rain & cool weather this year is an exception). Still, Knott's Soak City and I believe Raging Waters LA both open a week before Hurricane Harbor. I suppose if the park saw a need to stay open longer, it would. None of these water parks is new though, so they have all probably found their prime time where it is worth staying open.

A part of it may be that at temps where people in the North are willing to go to Water Parks (say, upper 60's), people in California may find it "too cold." I know when I went out there in February to visit my brother once, and it was "the coldest it'd been all winter", and was in the 50's, I was still at SFMM wearing shorts. While there was a blizzard back in MI. So, advantage me!

Yah I called me ma today and she told me her and my pops were considering heading down to the beach and even in OC 20 minutes away they said the sun was coming in and out of the clouds and there were random winds blowing and it was too cold for them to head that way and sit at a Sunset restaurant that's open air.

I imagine that kind of weather, which is familiarly typical in Southern California during these types of months, is what keeps the water parks waiting to open later as they do. Meanwhile in Pheonix, AZ I believe the low volume Family Fun Center style waterslides are now open due to hitting 90-100 Fahrenheit daily.

It seems like a goldmine to me to have a March open/ September close major water park out here with *maybe* some decent coasters to add. This place has a great winter, but I think with temps (in the March to September months) 100+ Farenheight, how they are for most people not from around here, it seems it could be quite a place to visit during a pretty decent amount of the year.

The waterparks here in Vegas have been open since mid April or earlier...and we are never warm or hot in April...usually the 70's. So, the parks in SoCal have no excuse not to be open.

Unless from a operating expenses and staffing perspective, it's not worth it.

The staff at HH is a majority college students so they don't have the staffing ability in April or September. In the early and late season you'll see temporary employees working slides or slides closed due to lack of staffing.

I'm a very temperature dependent water park person though. I need the air to be warm and the water to be VERY warm, so I wouldn't enjoy the parks those off times a year anyways.

I could see them opening earlier on a weekend only schedule, but I don't think the demand is there to make it worthwhile. As Elissa said, the workforce is largely college students for lifeguard positions and still high school kids for the food/retail/etc. positions---not easy to train within their school schedules and work permit laws.

I was there today. It was crowded around lunchtime with school tours, but it started to clear up around 2:00. It was dead the rest of the day.

I snapped a picture of the progress on Riddler's repaint. Not gonna lie, it actually looks cool in person. The pictures and 3D renderings don't do it justice. The new bright green track and yellow supports stop just to the left of the MCBR, which still has the old dark green and black supports.

878221430_IMG_23651.thumb.JPG.966da7c8f49217b81a48e7a67c341de2.JPG

*Side note: this is my 420th post.

1133746.jpg.6a6e6a1f013d7184638d27d18ba119b6.jpg

I was at SFMM today from 1030am-3p and it was not busy at all... There were a few buses, and when I left, there were only cars parked in the first lot. Most of the rides were walk-on, the longest I had to wait for a ride was about 15 minutes. Besides Riddler's Revenge and Tidal Wave being closed, everything else was open, including Drop of Doom.

I'm a very temperature dependent water park person though. I need the air to be warm and the water to be VERY warm, so I wouldn't enjoy the parks those off times a year anyways.

I couldn't agree more!

And @Joelwee, thank you for posting that pic! I've been looking forward to seeing Riddler's new paint job!

A great time to visit Six Flags! Today you could marathon just about anything. The only ride with a notable wait was TNR at about 10-15 minutes. They were just partially filling the trains.

Also, Goliath is only running one train, but they would let you fill in any vacant seats for a re-ride. Mostly older, chill ride ops. I think we had about 25 rides in 3 hours. Riding X2 and coming back to a vacant queue is still somewhat surreal. My Ohio friend’s head was about to explode after so many rides, so we finally had to quit.

Riddler’s paint job looks sharp and is in the final stages. Also, Justice League is officially in alpha testing! Say what you want, but it’s still a pretty cool addition to the park. At the very least the air conditioning in that building is fantastic

20170518_131623.thumb.jpg.899e8ee3b5ccc073c9399ace916490bf.jpg

Had a hard time finding parking

20170518_134705_HDR.thumb.jpg.a711a9d60a7341bb65890672fd89e57f.jpg

Yolo Empty Plaza

20170518_143823.thumb.jpg.ef9bd95c8dfa462b7c8a5b22bebf0d1b.jpg

Twisted

20170518_145142_HDR.thumb.jpg.82ed7ce9e1793d42e67a736a990c8b64.jpg

Hello?

20170518_151906.thumb.jpg.39151a18c2f7a70199617b1c83566e57.jpg

Why not

20170518_152115.thumb.jpg.b5a593227455e71f4bf63b2c6c70f361.jpg

Is this thing on?

20170518_163847.thumb.jpg.02a4ea7b7bbff8b23b525f7a00a7b152.jpg

The poor Viper crew was begging for someone... anyone...

^Did you get to see TSM there?

...what is TSM?

Sorry, I'm a nerd. The League of Legends (videogame) team Team SoloMid was there...they're probably the biggest players in eSports (goes to show how much of a thing that is I guess).

^Did you get to see TSM there?

...what is TSM?

Sorry, I'm a nerd. The League of Legends (videogame) team Team SoloMid was there...they're probably the biggest players in eSports (goes to show how much of a thing that is I guess).

LOL, no, I did not see them.

Ridder's is looking great, hats off to the crew.

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-26%2Bat%2B9.22.33%2BAM.png

California Coaster Kings posted an update yesterday, which included, among other things, more pics of the Riddler repaint. The first loop is almost finished, and I have to say it looks fantastic. I almost want to ride it.

IMG_1078-Large-768x614.jpg.32c22f0e3d0033d72c187006d433a5a7.jpg

As most of you probably know, the rest of Metropolis isn't even close to being done. JB's BBQ / Ace o' Clubs is in the middle of renovation. JLBFM has begun alpha testing, but they still have yet to begin construction on the facade. At this rate, we may be looking at a July 4 opening, if we're lucky.

Fortunately, all of their other coasters have been running great lately.

I was there today. It was crowded around lunchtime with school tours, but it started to clear up around 2:00. It was dead the rest of the day.

I snapped a picture of the progress on Riddler's repaint. Not gonna lie, it actually looks cool in person. The pictures and 3D renderings don't do it justice.

The colors have always been a fine combo. I don't think anyone has ever called Cheetah Hunt's green and yellow color-scheme ugly, but that's not the issue. The issue is that the colors make no frickin' sense on a Riddler-themed ride.

Granted, the original black and green wasn't true to most of the appearances of the Riddler over the years, but it was close enough.

It just blows my mind that DC won't allow apostrophes after their characters' last names on any new ride but will allow Riddler to be painted colors that don't properly represent him.

Granted, they used the same color scheme on Riddler at SFOT, so something must be up.

I know this was an unnecessarily critical post, and the colors wont stop me from riding it, but I am just too dumbfounded not to speak my mind.