TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm a believer that every roller coaster should have a properly-executed single rider line...

Hit the nail on the head, buddy. And coming from a previous ride mechanic and ride operator at multiple parks, they're really not that hard to do.

I'd imagine Magic Mountains understaffed/under-trained ride operators with lackadaisical attitudes has a lot to do with it, but in general the park is terrible with accommodating guests, when really, it doesn't take much effort to do so. It's something that is good for everyone, good for the park to increase capacity, and good for the guests who don't mind sitting separately to fill in those empty seats.

I can't say enough how much a single rider line has made my day on a visit to a park, even with multiple friends, as we all got to get on a ride without waiting in a ridiculous line, and then got to move on with our day at the park.

My wife took the kids on a trip for Spring Break, so I headed to the park for a day and a half this weekend. I got there about 3:30 on Saturday and saw that X2 was closed on the app. I was about to head to FT when I saw X2 testing, so I headed up the hill and X2 opened back up as soon as I got in line. My wait was only about 15 minutes and I was able to ride 3 more times with only a 20-25 min wait each time. Since the app only updates hourly, X2 was listed as closed even though it was open, so that kept people away for a while. I then headed down to TC and got 3 rides in with about a 30-35 wait each time. Of the 3 rides, I only dueled on 2 of them and it was only a single duel each time. I can't really blame the ops for the lack of dueling though as they were hustling and the panel op was telling people to hurry if they wanted to duel. The fact is that the GP just carries too much damn stuff around the park, so it takes forever for them to put it away in the bins and get in their seats. I ended the night getting 4 rides on Superman as I've found that it tends not to have a line at the end of the day. So I got 11 rides in about 5 1/2 hours, which I was pretty happy with.

On Sunday, I splurged and got the Platinum FP. I live in Vegas and only get to the park 2-3 times a year, so I wanted to get the most out of my trip. It appears that SF has done away with the double rides on the Platinum FP though, which isn't a huge deal as your next ride window typically opens by the time you're done with a ride. It was just nice not to have to get back in line all over again, but I can imagine guest relations got a lot complaints about double riders. I used the Gold Pass early entry and headed straight to FT and got 4 rides in before there was really any line. I was on the first train of the day and the ops sent us out a second time bc there was nobody in line!

I ended up getting 36 rides in throughout the day, which is pretty good considering there's no double rides now and the park closed at 8pm. A number of coasters had downtime (Goliath, TC, Tatsu) but they got them back up pretty quickly. The biggest surprise of the day was that Superman was running both sides, which I haven't seen in years. I made it my last ride of the day again and since it was a total walk-on after 7pm, I got 6 rides in to finish off the day. I also got to experience the VR on TNR since it was included with the FP and I have to say it's absolutely terrible. The VR adds nothing to the ride and I actually hurt my neck a bit since I couldn't see where I was going. The wait for VR TNR was absolutely awful (90+ minutes all day) as the dispatches were taking 5-6 minutes each and there were empty seats on every train. Luckily my FP had some kind malfunction and I got a 2nd reservation on TNR. So I did it without the VR and got a front row seat, which was very enjoyable with the new lapbar trains. It's just a damn shame that they added VR to it and created an obscene wait time. TNR is the perfect first looping coaster for kids, but it's simply not worth waiting 90+ minutes in line for.

I did get a guest satisfaction survey emailed to me and I expressed my complete displeasure with the VR fiasco. Hopefully if enough people complain, they will get rid of the VR. But since this is SF were are talking about, I'm not holding my breath. Lastly, it doesn't look like any painting has been done on Riddler, so I wouldn't expect it to open any time soon.

Edited by VegasBaby

^ Quite a few of their coasters also have single rider lines which could help.

I know Green Lantern has one (it could be uncomfortable, but it is unique). Riddler's has a very well hidden one (but it sounds closed). Revolution has a really good one if you don't mind skipping VR and it's kind of hidden like Riddler's. I think Viper has one too. A few other coasters may, but those are the four I know of.

Lex Luthor also has a single rider line. Just go up the exit.

Just made it to Magic Mountain! Park just opened, and I made a mad dash for X2. About to get on!

Hope you have a great day at the park, be sure to come back and let us know what you thought of it. I am always interested to hear people's first impressions of parks and rides.

Ok guys, I can fill you in now that I'm having some lunch at Teen Titans Tower Pizza.

So far, I've gotten 7 coaster credits, and the crowds in the morning were GREAT, but of course, the lunch crowd has come in and everything is that much longer. Oh yeah, and although it SUCKS, Twisted Colossus has been closed all day. Not sure why, but in the morning when I asked, one of the employees told me it was down, and I haven't seen a train run all day

Starting off the day, we went straight to X2. Luckily, when we got there, we only had to wait 5 minutes, and got a front row ride. What are my thoughts? Immediately as we hit the brake run, I declared X2 as my new #1 for a reason. Such an absolutely f**ked up, insane ride. The drop was bonkers, it's intense as hell, it feels long, it wasn't all that rough, and the seats were rather comfortable. Get down from that throne, Joker. 10/10

Then we went up to Tatsu, which was only a 15 minute wait, and that's actually been the longest I've waited so far today. Overall, Tatsu unfortunately didn't live up to the hype. While it was my first flying coaster, and I did overall think it was a great ride, I wouldn't say it was forceless, but it wasn't as intense as many people make it to be. It definitely had the flying sensation, and there were some forceful moments, but it felt too much like a flight simulator. But yes, don't get me wrong. I'd still give it an 8/10.

After that, we hiked up past Ninja to Superman: Escape from Krypton, which had a 10 minute wait. While the operations weren't the best, this thing surprised me. I wouldn't say "blown away", but better than I thought. The launch kicked ass, there was some really good hangtime, and I got a facelift on the way down. Shame it's a shuttle coaster. 8/10

On the way back, we hit up Ninja, which was another 10 minute wait. This was my first Arrow Suspended coaster, and it was rather good. The drop was fun, the swinging was good, and I did like how smooth it was. Did feel a bit shorter than expected though. 7/10.

I should probably get going now, I'll post a complete report when I end the day.

Oh yeah, and this is how its gone so far if anyone is wondering. The time is when I board the ride.

10:40 - X2 (5 minute wait)

11:05 - Tatsu (15 minute wait)

11:25 - Superman: Escape from Krypton (10 minute wait)

11:40 - Ninja (10 minute wait)

11:50 - Gold Rusher (5 minute wait)

12:00 - Green Lantern: First Flight (5 minute wait)

12:15 - Batman The Ride (10 minute wait)

12:20 - Lunch at Teen Titans Tower Pizza

While it was my first flying coaster, and I did overall think it was a great ride, I wouldn't say it was forceless, but it wasn't as intense as many people make it to be.

Not a huge fan of that one either. Aside from the pretzel loop, it feels a bit meandering to me. The top of the lift hill is the standout moment IMO. Too bad TC is down, but hopefully it'll open up in time. I give Full Thröttle a slight edge over TC so hopefully you'll be able to grab a few laps on that one.

While it was my first flying coaster, and I did overall think it was a great ride, I wouldn't say it was forceless, but it wasn't as intense as many people make it to be.

Not a huge fan of that one either. Aside from the pretzel loop, it feels a bit meandering to me. The top of the lift hill is the standout moment IMO. Too bad TC is down, but hopefully it'll open up in time. I give Full Thröttle a slight edge over TC so hopefully you'll be able to grab a few laps on that one.

Yeah, nice to know someone is in the same spot as me. Unfortunately, I probably won't ride it again because people have currently told me that the queue is about to pour out.

In other news, Twisted Colossus just opened up, so we made mad dash #2 of the day to get in line!

As I'm waiting in line for my last Twisted Colossus ride for the night, I'll rank the coasters and give them ratings.

1. X2 - I've already given darn good thoughts, so I'll quote that post:

Immediately as we hit the brake run, I declared X2 as my new #1 for a reason. Such an absolutely f**ked up, insane ride. The drop was bonkers, it's intense as hell, it feels long, it wasn't all that rough, and the seats were rather comfortable. Get down from that throne, Joker. 10/10

2. Twisted Colossus - Congratulations RMC, you have made two great rides in California! And as you can tell by my signature, I do prefer it to Joker! It really is a fantastic coaster! It's a very long ride, the airtime is awesome, the inversions are just bonkers, and my ride earlier in the day wasn't dueling, but my final ride of the night looks promising. The other main reason why I prefer TC is because of the pacing. While it does have an MCBR and extra lift hill, the pacing otherwise is very good. Joker, which doesn't have an MCBR, feels more sluggish than TC does. 9/10

3. Batman The Ride - This ride... this darn ride... has been the most surprising coaster of my career. Sure, it's cloned everywhere, sure, not everyone loves it, but dang. This little thing has POWER! It's so freakin' intense, the pacing doesn't let up at all, the Gs are unreal, it's feels really long, and it feels smooth like pudding. Wish it was a bit bigger though. 8/10

4. Tatsu - If you didn't read my earlier post, you now know that this was a disappointment to me. Like X2, I'll quote that post here:

Overall, Tatsu unfortunately didn't live up to the hype. While it was my first flying coaster, and I did overall think it was a great ride, I wouldn't say it was forceless, but it wasn't as intense as many people make it to be. It definitely had the flying sensation, and there were some forceful moments, but it felt too much like a flight simulator. But yes, don't get me wrong. I'd still give it an 8/10.

5. Superman: Escape from Krypton - I will, once again, silently re-quote myself here:

While the operations weren't the best, this thing surprised me. I wouldn't say "blown away", but better than I thought. The launch kicked A$$, there was some really good hangtime, and I got a facelift on the way down. Shame it's a shuttle coaster. 8/10

6. Scream - Some people hate it, and some people like it. I'm in the latter group, as you can see. It was pretty smooth, a long ride, forceful, and I really liked it overall. While it may not be the best out there, it's still pretty darn good. 8/10

7. Goliath - Of course, it isn't the most intense thing in the world, it may not have the airtime, or the good pacing, but it's still definitely a fun ride. I'd recommend it, especially for that final, very forceful helix. I definitely seem to like it more than others do. 8/10

8. Full Throttle - Comparing it to a ride like Twisted Colossus or Batman doesn't work, but it still is surely lots of fun. The launches are great (especially that fun backwards launch), the hangtime is awesome on the vertical loop, and my one ride in the back row did have some insane moments! Mostly looking at the top hat there. But otherwise, it did seem like too much of a gimmicky ride. 7/10

9. New Revolution - What is a very historic ride is also a very cool and fun coaster. Not the best, like Full Throttle, but very good and enjoyable. It's certainly an interesting experience, while it may not be the most thrilling in the world. 7/10

10. Viper - While it was rough at times, mostly the double corkscrew and first vertical loop, it's not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. When I'm back at Magic Mountain in the future, which I should probably be at some point in the coming time, I'd give it another ride just for fun. 7/10

11. Ninja - I'd normally quote it, but I'll just re-word my last review. It was my first Arrow Suspended coaster, and while it was decent, it's just more fun than anything else. It was a bit shorter than expected, and it didn't swing as much as some people say, but at least it wasn't sluggish. My only other problem is that it felt a bit rougher than it probably should have been. 6/10

12. Gold Rusher - While I'd stop short of calling it good, it has some nice moments. It is a family coaster, which is probably why. But hey, there are definitely worse coasters out there, and it's a good coaster for people that aren't a fan of anything too big. 5/10

13. Green Lantern: First Flight - I really don't want to talk about it too much. This was my first low-scale 4D coaster, and I thought people over exaggerated when they described the ride as a stroll through an insane asylum, but that was one of my worst experiences on a steel coaster. 3.5/10 (Just purely because I can't decide between a 3 or 4)

14-16. Kiddie credits

Thanks for reading! Excited that I'm about to get on my final Twisted Colossus ride of the night. Also, Knott's Berry Farm tomorrow!

- - - - -

Oh yes, and here is my final log.

10:40 - X2 (5 minute wait)

11:05 - Tatsu (15 minute wait)

11:25 - Superman: Escape from Krypton (10 minute wait)

11:40 - Ninja (10 minute wait)

11:50 - Gold Rusher (5 minute wait)

12:00 - Green Lantern: First Flight (5 minute wait)

12:15 - Batman The Ride (10 minute wait)

12:20 - Lunch at Teen Titans Tower Pizza

1:00 - Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom (15 minute wait)

1:15 - Scream (10 minute wait)

1:55 - Goliath (35 minute wait)

2:15 - Road Runner Express (15 minute wait)

3:20 - Twisted Colossus (60 minute wait)

3:35 - Speedy Gonzales Hot Rod Racers (10 minute wait)

3:45 - Canyon Blaster (10 minute wait)

4:45 - Full Throttle (60 minute wait)

5:00 - Viper (10 minute wait)

5:35 - New Revolution (30 minute wait)

6:15 - X2 (35 minute wait)

6:20 - Dinner at Mooseburger Lodge

8:05 - Twisted Colossus (70 minute wait)

It sounds like you had a great day at the park, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the rides. Other than your longer than usual waits for TC (which was probably due to it being closed for half the day), it looks like your wait times weren't too bad.

Greetings,

I usually look to the site "isitpacked" for my planning on SFMM. I have found it to be fairly spot on in my experience. However, they are stating that this week is going to be packed due to spring break. It was my understanding that most schools have already had spring break, and are back in session. I was planning on going on Friday, to celebrate my birthday!

If anybody goes this week, I would really appreciate a crowd report. Thank you in advance.

Greetings,

I usually look to the site "isitpacked" for my planning on SFMM. I have found it to be fairly spot on in my experience. However, they are stating that this week is going to be packed due to spring break. It was my understanding that most schools have already had spring break, and are back in session. I was planning on going on Friday, to celebrate my birthday!

If anybody goes this week, I would really appreciate a crowd report. Thank you in advance.

I believe most of the spring breaks are over by now. I know that LAUSD and Clark County (Vegas) were both last week. There might be some districts out this week, but I don't think the park will be too busy on Friday.

Greetings,

Today Monday the 17th was a ghost town and perfect weather.

No excuse for not being there.

I think Catholic schools are all off this week.

^ What he said.

I was there for a couple of hours, and everything had 10-20 minute waits. TNR had the shortest line I'd seen in a long time - only about a 30-minute wait. Unfortunately, I didn't notice this until it was time to leave. Jet Stream has re-opened, so the park now has two water rides open inside the dry park.

I was able to get on Full Throttle after only a 15-20 minute wait. X2 broke down just as I walked up to the front gate, so I turned around and headed back over to Viper, which has only been running one train for the past week (not that it made much of a difference in wait time). Viper delivered a great ride, as always. By the time I got off Viper, I saw a train ascending X2's lift hill with people on it, so I headed over there and literally walked right on. I even got in a second round.

The park is open until 9:00 every day this week, most of the major rides are up and running 2-3 trains, and it seems to be relatively empty, so I would definitely recommend visiting the park this week.

It was not open yesterday.

I believe California Coaster Kings reported that they're still in the middle retracking, and the queue railing is still dismantled. It'll be a few more weeks, at least.