TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Superman is probably one of the most overrated coasters with one of the more intimidating structures. I don't wait more than 15 minutes for that anymore.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion but I completely agree with you. It's barely even worth the walk up the hill for me.

I agree as well. The ride is far more visually impressive than thrilling. I prefer Lex Luthor quite a bit more than Superman.

Not to mention, the ride is incredibly obnoxious to walk under. Why does it use steel wheels (or at least, it sounds like steel wheels)?

Again, absurd. Ridiculous. It's like they go out of their way to make the experiences for some of their guests as miserable as possible. If they are consistently sending trains with empty seats there is no, NO reason to not have a separate line for non-VR riders. As soon as I heard of the VR installation I cringed and I cannot wait for it to get canned.

I wish more people would go to Guest Relations and fill out forms about this. If enough people "complain" about something (in a polite and constructive way, preferably) sometimes things change. It could get a set up like SFGAmerica or CPoint has with their VR coasters. Leave it plain Revolution for half the day and then VR after.

I bet it would still have long lines, but no where near what they are now. Plenty of people want to ride regular Revolution. It's a beautiful ride!

Go tell Guest Relations (in a polite and constructive way, please)! Spread the word

Not to mention, the ride is incredibly obnoxious to walk under. Why does it use steel wheels (or at least, it sounds like steel wheels)?

That loud sound is the steel bogey wheels located underneath the car rubbing against the steel center rail on the track. It's what keeps the car laterally aligned on the track (as you notice the trains polyurethane wheels on the track only have running and upstop wheels).

Why they made them steel, I have no idea. I think it had to do with the unique design from Intamin and the technology at the time. Also they didn't want a lot of lateral play that occurs when the polyurethane wheels wear down. So you are hearing steel on steel going 100 mph.

I was there for a few hours both yesterday and today, in mid-late afternoon. Crowds weren't too bad either day. Batman was a walk-on, and waits for most other rides (except Superman) were about 30 mins. each. The left side of Superman is down, causing an hour-long wait for the right side. (But then again, I don't remember the last time they ran both sides simultaneously.)

TC had a long line, but their quick operations made short work of it. X2's line only stretched to the stairs/ramps just outside of the station, but the several large groups with Flash Passes turned a 15-minute wait into a 40-minute wait.

Again, absurd. Ridiculous. It's like they go out of their way to make the experiences for some of their guests as miserable as possible. If they are consistently sending trains with empty seats there is no, NO reason to not have a separate line for non-VR riders. As soon as I heard of the VR installation I cringed and I cannot wait for it to get canned.

I wish more people would go to Guest Relations and fill out forms about this. If enough people "complain" about something (in a polite and constructive way, preferably) sometimes things change. It could get a set up like SFGAmerica or CPoint has with their VR coasters. Leave it plain Revolution for half the day and then VR after.

I bet it would still have long lines, but no where near what they are now. Plenty of people want to ride regular Revolution. It's a beautiful ride!

Go tell Guest Relations (in a polite and constructive way, please)! Spread the word

Believe me, I have complained about this! I had family visiting from Florida, New York and Hawaii and we waited so long to ride this. We didn't want the VR experience because it's lame. We wanted our new classic Revy but no................!

I am going again this Tuesday and I will see how the line is.

Believe me, I have complained about this! I had family visiting from Florida, New York and Hawaii and we waited so long to ride this. We didn't want the VR experience because it's lame. We wanted our new classic Revy but no................!

I'm glad you said something! Just out of curiosity, did you go to Guest Relations and fill out a form? It becomes a little more ... "logged in" if you do that. Might take a good 10 minutes, but if more of us do it, maybe we'll have a better time at the park.

I'll be visiting the park in July. Not the best time for crowds, but it's when my family is going on our California trip. I'll probably be going to the Mountain alone, or with one of my little cousins. I would pay and extra $200 to get 20 rides on (non-VR) Revolution. Thing is, there is not currently a way to do that. Even with the highest platinum Flash Pass, I think I'm eligible for one ride.

Luckily, I'll probably be going on a solo trip the the park/area in the fall... so crowds will be low, and hopefully Revolution rules will have changed by then.

I'm glad you said something! Just out of curiosity, did you go to Guest Relations and fill out a form? It becomes a little more ... "logged in" if you do that. Might take a good 10 minutes, but if more of us do it, maybe we'll have a better time at the park.

I'll be visiting the park in July. Not the best time for crowds, but it's when my family is going on our California trip. I'll probably be going to the Mountain alone, or with one of my little cousins. I would pay and extra $200 to get 20 rides on (non-VR) Revolution. Thing is, there is not currently a way to do that. Even with the highest platinum Flash Pass, I think I'm eligible for one ride.

Luckily, I'll probably be going on a solo trip the the park/area in the fall... so crowds will be low, and hopefully Revolution rules will have changed by then.

I did go to Guest Relations and coming from a former employee I know that they do take this in to concern. So for those who want it back to the old way. Go in and fill out a form!

The VR band wagon needs to stop! You want a new thrill? Buy the goggles, get in your car and then drive around. BOOM, EXCITEMENT!

If you are coming out in July, just beware. It can get to about 105 or hotter in the summer. Make sure you & little one stay hydrated.

I am going to try and get to the park next week, is anything down besides Apocalypse and Riddler? And does anyone have an idea about when they will open back up?

The only rides I saw down beyond those two were the water rides, but by the time you visit those may be open as well. I didn't see any new paint on Riddler or any further work on Apocalypse (though I wasn't paying much attention to detail), so it seems both will be a while before reopening. If the park can open JLBFM by Memorial Day (which I would assume is a desirable target for the park), then I would assume Riddler would re-open alongside it, but as far as I know they've been mum on the subject thus far.

Roaring Rapids is the only water ride open right now. The park is moving the entrance to Tidal Wave from its former spot (in the new Metropolis) to the walkway near the bumper cars. When I was there yesterday, it looked like they had just knocked down a section of the wall to make way for the new entrance. I expect it to be a while before it reopens.

I've asked a similar question before but do y'all know how crowded bring a friend weeks are? Next week every weekday is a bring a friend free day, and although I do understand that usually bring a friend free days are insanely crowded I was wondering if they were any better on weekdays.

I am going to try and get to the park next week, is anything down besides Apocalypse and Riddler? And does anyone have an idea about when they will open back up?

after reading your post i went to check on the refurb of apocalypse. the company has been asked to not post any more updates. bummer, i was enjoying them.

I've asked a similar question before but do y'all know how crowded bring a friend weeks are? Next week every weekday is a bring a friend free day, and although I do understand that usually bring a friend free days are insanely crowded I was wondering if they were any better on weekdays.

It's spring break for various school districts, so I would imagine it will still be crowded.

I'm heading up to the park today and it's supposed to get really windy later. Which rides will be closed if there are high winds?

Superman/Lex Luthor and X2 are pretty much guaranteed. I'm not sure about anything else having issues operating in strong winds. Maybe Full Throttle?

Back to the topic of Superman....

For each of the last 5 years, my now 13 year old son and I have taken a 2 or 3 day trip to SFMM. We're from the Bay Area and have passes to SFDK, so it's made for a relatively cheap, fun vacation.

On our first trip here, my son wanted to ride Superman more than anything, but the line was crazy the whole first day. He wanted to ride so much, we made the decision to run to it at park open on our second day. We got there and no one else was there yet. We got the first ride of the day and it was just the 2 of us on the ride. As we come back into the station, no one else is in line yet. My son asks if we can go again, and they let us. We end up riding 6 times in a row, in every seat we could. We then walked down into the DC area and rode Riddler, Batman, Green Lantern all multiple times with no wait, often the only 2 on the ride. In just over an hour, we'd had 13 rides It was by far the highlight of our trip.

It was such a highlight in fact, that we made it a tradition. One day each year on every one of our trips, we run to Superman and get 7-12 rides in, and then hit a near empty DC and basically do the same.

Long story short, that's the only way I ride Superman, and I freaking love it. It's honestly something both he and I look forward to every visit. It's such a thrill to experience that launch so many times in a short span of time. It really is a freaking amazing launch.

On our first trip here, my son wanted to ride Superman more than anything, but the line was crazy the whole first day. He wanted to ride so much, we made the decision to run to it at park open on our second day. We got there and no one else was there yet. We got the first ride of the day and it was just the 2 of us on the ride. As we come back into the station, no one else is in line yet. My son asks if we can go again, and they let us. We end up riding 6 times in a row, in every seat we could. We then walked down into the DC area and rode Riddler, Batman, Green Lantern all multiple times with no wait, often the only 2 on the ride. In just over an hour, we'd had 13 rides It was by far the highlight of our trip.

Funny -- that's basically what I did with your Superman up at SFDK the last time I was there. Having the whole train to yourself on a dead day at the park, and just basically signaling to the ride ops "let's go again" and having them comply? Amazing stuff. I may have to try this the next time I'm at SFMM though!

Back to the topic of Superman....

For each of the last 5 years, my now 13 year old son and I have taken a 2 or 3 day trip to SFMM. We're from the Bay Area and have passes to SFDK, so it's made for a relatively cheap, fun vacation.

It was such a highlight in fact, that we made it a tradition. One day each year on every one of our trips, we run to Superman and get 7-12 rides in, and then hit a near empty DC and basically do the same.

Long story short, that's the only way I ride Superman, and I freaking love it. It's honestly something both he and I look forward to every visit. It's such a thrill to experience that launch so many times in a short span of time. It really is a freaking amazing launch.

That's awesome. I do the same, with one exception. I do Full Throtttle first, as I have a gold pass, and the ride is usually open for the early entrance. I usually get two rides in, and then up the mountain for Superman. My record is 13 times, without having to get in line again. Many times, being the only person on the ride. Glorious!

Lately, the hidden gem in the park has been Batman. They finished up their yearly maintenance a few weeks ago and the ride is now running both trains again. On my last couple of visits to the park, that ride was a walk-on, while most of the other rides had 30+ minute waits. I rode it a couple of times in a row last Monday, and had my choice of a seat.

Lately, the hidden gem in the park has been Batman.

This is true of basically every Six Flags park that has a Batman clone. They're incredibly underrated rides.

People tend to think less of it because it's been cloned quite a bit. But it's still a good ride and I'd be fine with it being cloned some more at parks lacking a B&M invert.